[Review] Superlux HD668b, They Cost How Much? (Foam Mod+More for 668b+681!)
Aug 14, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #16 of 167
These cans have been my guilty pleasure since I received them over a week ago.  I pretty much agree with the review.  My only real gripe is those **** ear pads.  It's just too hot and too shallow for my taste.  It's not a giant killer but it comes pretty **** close.  If someone ask me of what headphones to buy in the $50 range, I would definitely suggest these first instead of the usual suspects of cans that falls into that price range. 

Aug 14, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #17 of 167
Yeah I'm thinking of trying some AKG Velour pads on these though I'm worried some bass will disappear. I let my girlfriends grandfather try these, he has Sennheiser HD558 and he wants to trade me despite the price discrepancy. 

Edit: He just bought them and put the Senns in a closet lol.

Aug 14, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #18 of 167

Quote:
Yeah I'm thinking of trying some AKG Velour pads on these though I'm worried some bass will disappear. I let my girlfriends grandfather try these, he has Sennheiser HD558 and he wants to trade me despite the price discrepancy. 

Edit: He just bought them and put the Senns in a closet lol.

Are there any that work? The K501, K601 and K702 versions won't work because they rotate and clip into place.
99% sure the Beyer Velour pads will work, but it will ruin them for use on a dT-880/990 due to stretching.
I have some DT-880 pleather pads that I'm 99% sure work, so the velour ones should.

BTW for anyone that cares, the Superlux stock pads are thicker than the K240 Studio pads. You can try to find some K240 Studio velour pads but they're expensive. Might be cheaper directly from AKG though.

Aug 14, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #20 of 167
I wouldn't really call removing the foam a mod. I mean seriously it takes about 2 seconds.
normal_smile%20.gif
But no big deal.
I've always used them without foam and the mids seemed a tad better, but we're talking like 1-2% more forward, if that.
I'm going to replace it with speaker fabric I got at Parts Express. That roll will last you an eternity and protects the driver.

I'm not a fan of these at at all, but unlike some who hate specific headphones, I'm able to admit that they're very good if you love it's signature.
Lots of detail, really good sound clarity and a good soundstage. It's signature is like the DT-990 and even Superlux says so on their website.
They're a fun headphone, but I love more forward mids.

When I got them in I burned them in and they sat un-used for weeks. Used them again for an hour a few days ago and they're quite good.
They beat the crap out of the so called $50 "headphones" found at places like Wal-Mart or Best Buy. Yesterday I saw some gold spray-painted "Billionaire" headphones for $40 and I'm thinking...what the?
My local wal-mart got rid of all their decent headphones and now sells junk headphones that are just fashion items.

Now maybe eventually there will be another mod to reduce the bass and bring forward the mids even more. Doesn't hurt to try. These may be worthy of a good EQ setting for me.
BTW they seem driven just fine out of my Ipod Touch, but a tiny mp3 player may be a big mistake. Of course I use an amp with most of my stuff anyway.

EDIT: BTW this is a good idea..i'll try to use my Beyer pads and see if the bass is reduced. With these I don't mind if it has less bass. I seriously could never understand anyone who says these have light bass. Luckily I haven't heard that yet!

Aug 14, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #21 of 167
Have you considered removing the bit of fabric that covers the holes on the outside of the housing, or even completely opening up the "holes" on the outside of the housing?  it's kiiind of irreversible, but opening the headphone up more could definitely reduce the bass and bring you closer to your preferred signature.

Aug 14, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #22 of 167
Yeah the AKG K240 pads I was thinking of trying, but then again the pleather isn't so bad. Thanks for your impressions though! When I removed the foam I thought they sounded a lot closer to my Ad900 than before, it brought out the mids and highs just a tad, but enough to make them a bit more musical in my opinion, perhaps it was some placebo though.

Aug 14, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #23 of 167

Quote:
Have you considered removing the bit of fabric that covers the holes on the outside of the housing, or even completely opening up the "holes" on the outside of the housing?  it's kiiind of irreversible, but opening the headphone up more could definitely reduce the bass and bring you closer to your preferred signature.

I did think about that, I might try it, but for now I'm going to enjoy them as they are. As for more impressions on removing the dampening sticker, no real change in sound in my opinion. 

Aug 14, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #24 of 167
The AD700 pads fit
biggrin.gif

That's like a downgrade since they're scratchy and annoying.
I did a 1 minute try out of my Ipod Touch (supposed to be working) and it seems like it killed the bass somewhat.
Maybe due to no amping at the moment, but doubt it. Guess i'll check out those Beyer pads later.

Aug 14, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #25 of 167

Quote:
I wouldn't really call removing the foam a mod. I mean seriously it takes about 2 seconds.
normal_smile%20.gif
But no big deal.
I've always used them without foam and the mids seemed a tad better, but we're talking like 1-2% more forward, if that.
I'm going to replace it with speaker fabric I got at Parts Express. That roll will last you an eternity and protects the driver.

I'm not a fan of these at at all, but unlike some who hate specific headphones, I'm able to admit that they're very good if you love it's signature.
Lots of detail, really good sound clarity and a good soundstage. It's signature is like the DT-990 and even Superlux says so on their website.
They're a fun headphone, but I love more forward mids.

When I got them in I burned them in and they sat un-used for weeks. Used them again for an hour a few days ago and they're quite good.
They beat the crap out of the so called $50 "headphones" found at places like Wal-Mart or Best Buy. Yesterday I saw some gold spray-painted "Billionaire" headphones for $40 and I'm thinking...what the?
My local wal-mart got rid of all their decent headphones and now sells junk headphones that are just fashion items.

Now maybe eventually there will be another mod to reduce the bass and bring forward the mids even more. Doesn't hurt to try. These may be worthy of a good EQ setting for me.
BTW they seem driven just fine out of my Ipod Touch, but a tiny mp3 player may be a big mistake. Of course I use an amp with most of my stuff anyway.

EDIT: BTW this is a good idea..i'll try to use my Beyer pads and see if the bass is reduced. With these I don't mind if it has less bass. I seriously could never understand anyone who says these have light bass. Luckily I haven't heard that yet!

I'm really agree with you about bass department of these can, i don't know why everyone keep saying it's bass light, it's has more than enough bass and with my set up, it lean to bassy side and take in account that i have listened to more than 3 different HD668B.
So yesterday, i tried the foam mod and ... WOW ..., before the mod, sometime i feel it's quite bassy, tired and don't play complex music well but after the mod, it's so natural, open, bass is lesser, everything is well balance, definetely  a huge improvement but i have comfort issue with this mod, the left driver protector hurt my ear.
About AKG velour pad, i have read many thread and rockghotto and everyone have experience with the pad said it's definetely improvement both in sound quality and comfort. 

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #30 of 167
Tyll's got some numbers up for these if anyone's interested.  Looks like a win for trebleheads on a budget to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back