[Review] Superlux HD661, Superlux Did It Again!
Feb 16, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #46 of 52
I picked up a couple of these during the Christmas holiday. I like the way they feel, but I don't like the way they sound. They are very sibilant and the bass isn't what I would like. I do also own the 7506s - and despite the similar frequency response curves between the 661 and 7506, their sound is not as similiar as the graphs seem to imply. The 661 is sibilant, piercing, and grainy - the 7506 is clear, sparkly, and has more bass - as well as clarity in the bass. I gave one pair to my nephew and he loves them since the best headphones he had listened to were the least expensive Sony ZX headphones. The other pair I have at a club I work at to use as house headphones for karaoke singers should they want to perform like the pros. The monitoring system has a dedicated headphone amp for the cans - and in order for the 661 to sound somewhat neutral - the treble knob is attenuated to 8 o'clock and the bass knob is boosted to 3 o'clock. I've used other Superlux headphones at the club which include the 681EVO, 668B, and 531. Other cans I've tried there are the Porta-pros, XS, and ATH-M35. The 668B and porta-pros do not work in that environment with any kind of tone control modifications. The XS, 681EVO, 531, and M35 work with flat tone control settings.

The 661 aren't bad cans, I just don't have a personal use for them where I would grab them and use them for anything. However, karaoke singers, and some of the other DJs do seem to like them. Sometimes, after setting levels for a singer with another set of cans, I will put the 661's on, but not have them plugged into anything. This is so they save my hearing.

What I would like to do one day is take the drivers out of the XS and put them into 661s, but that will have to wait for the day that I break my XS.

Jun 30, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #48 of 52
I have the Superlux HD668b and love them. I just ordered the HD661 for flights since they are closed. back. My Fostex T50RP MK3 will stay home for my Denon 4311ci listening.

Jun 30, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #49 of 52
Thanks for the review. 

Apr 29, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #51 of 52
I picked up a couple of these during the Christmas holiday. I like the way they feel, but I don't like the way they sound. They are very sibilant and the bass isn't what I would like. I do also own the 7506s - and despite the similar frequency response curves between the 661 and 7506, their sound is not as similiar as the graphs seem to imply. The 661 is sibilant, piercing, and grainy - the 7506 is clear, sparkly, and has more bass - as well as clarity in the bass. I gave one pair to my nephew and he loves them since the best headphones he had listened to were the least expensive Sony ZX headphones. The other pair I have at a club I work at to use as house headphones for karaoke singers should they want to perform like the pros. The monitoring system has a dedicated headphone amp for the cans - and in order for the 661 to sound somewhat neutral - the treble knob is attenuated to 8 o'clock and the bass knob is boosted to 3 o'clock. I've used other Superlux headphones at the club which include the 681EVO, 668B, and 531. Other cans I've tried there are the Porta-pros, XS, and ATH-M35. The 668B and porta-pros do not work in that environment with any kind of tone control modifications. The XS, 681EVO, 531, and M35 work with flat tone control settings.

The 661 aren't bad cans, I just don't have a personal use for them where I would grab them and use them for anything. However, karaoke singers, and some of the other DJs do seem to like them. Sometimes, after setting levels for a singer with another set of cans, I will put the 661's on, but not have them plugged into anything. This is so they save my hearing.

What I would like to do one day is take the drivers out of the XS and put them into 661s, but that will have to wait for the day that I break my XS.

I agree about the sibilant, piercing sound of the 661's but once they are burned in the treble becomes recessed, and the bass shows up more. Just burned my headphones for about 8 hours and they become worthwhile to listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back