REVIEW: STAX SRS-3030 Classic System II
Mar 28, 2002 at 10:44 AM Post #16 of 31
Keiso
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Very nice review!
It is nice to see Team Stax grow.
That electrostatic [Stax] sound is just so dam nice isn't it.
So delicate.
In time have a listen with some good pure silver interconnects
[Siltech hehe].
Insane cables and Stax go together hand in glove
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Good listening

setmenu

Mar 28, 2002 at 1:40 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Keiso

That was truly an awesome review. I'll probably have to read it several more times just to get me through until I can afford Stax myself. I'll be living vicariously through your experiences.
smily_headphones1.gif

I very much hope that this is not actually your last headphone system because I'd like to look forward to your other reviews in the future.

Thank you, Kelly. Thanks to you, I upgraded to the Classics instead of getting the Basics, a move I have not regretted about since my purchase.

I'm sure that this won't be my last headphone system, but I can't see myself buying a new set in the foreseeable future. Not when I'm so satisfied with the Classics. And if I should buy a new set, I'm sure it's something from STAX again. Hopefully, when I'm done with med school, STAX will have released the Omega III by then
smily_headphones1.gif

It's been years since I've written a review. It was fun to do it again (it was much harder than I thought to write about audio equipment, though...)

Quote:

You mentioned EISL but said you bought yours locally in Norway? So you didn't nuy from EISL but still got them for $900US? I thought it was only in Japan that you could get Stax affordably.

Hehe, I will show you the prices of the STAXs in Japan, and you'll see what I mean:

SRS-2020: 43,000 yen = about $340 US dollars.
SRS-3030: 72,000 yen = about $570 US dollars.
SRS-4040: 118,000 yen = about $930 US dollars.
SR-007 Omega II + SRM-007t = 320,000 yen = about $2510 US dollars.

The retail price in Norway is actually 1200 bucks, but the owner was nice enough to give me a big discount when I told him about the prices in Japan, and that I would get them from Japan instead if I have to pay that insane amount in Norway. So is the price of $900US I paid for my STAXs reasonable? Actually, it is, if you compare to what others charge outside Japan. But look at what they cost there! I was actually furious when I heard what EIFL charged for them at first, but then, the price is actually not bad compared to what they charge in the US (1400 you said?). I could have asked my friends in Japan to send them to me instead, but the Japanese versions run in 100v, I would need to use a transformator or do some internal tweaking to make them work in Norway, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to do that.... Plus, I have my warranty now, so if anything goes wrong (not that I think it is likely), I can feel safe about it.

But next time I upgrade, I will buy the Omegas from Japan, and the amp in Norway instead. At least it will be quite a bit cheaper.

Oh yeah, the prices I mentioned above are standard retail prices set by STAX for shops in Japan. But usually, like the corner shops in Akihabara, you will have no problem finding them 10% cheaper or maybe even more (depends on your luck?). This kinda pisses me off, cuz when I read the Japanese headphone forums, they all go "God, I'm glad I live in Japan, so I can get my STAXs at reasonable prices. I just saw what they charge for them in the US, I was shocked!". Yeah, I bet they were. In Japan, you can find the whole STAX line-up in regular chain stores!

Quote:

Do you find that your soundstage is obstructed/collapsed when you sit in a chair with a high back? It seems like that might be akward.

Actually, this morning, when my hair was all dry again (referring to the posts with Jude/Vertigo), I tried out that obstruction thing. The info I gave in my review is correct. Only about 3-4 inches of air is really needed. With 5 inches or more, you're more than safe. I said that I can hear resistance in 6-7 inches to Jude, and that was really misleading. Sorry about that exaggeration. It was 4 am, and I was tired
smily_headphones1.gif

Unless you got something directly in the way within those 5-6 inches safe zone straight out of the cans, it is no problem at all. I often lie down on my pillow with the cans on, and still no problem at all.

Apr 12, 2002 at 11:24 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Keiso
When you're not using them, I strongly advice you to store them with the STAX headphone stand with the protection cover to avoid dust and other accidents.
(The HPS-1 stand and cover cost me about 50 bucks. Once you've bought a set of STAX, I consider it illegal not to buy some sort of protection for them. The stand and the cover look really nice and classy too, so please, buy them with your STAXs.)

Keiso, after reading that magnificent review, I took your advice and ordered the Stax HPS-1 stand and dust cover (which arrived today). I agree, this is the only way to take care of these phones. Thanks for the tip....
wink.gif

HPS-ZACK.jpg

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2002 at 6:15 PM Post #20 of 31
Is the stand actually a Stax product? (And does EIFL carry them?)

Apr 13, 2002 at 6:21 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Is the stand actually a Stax product? (And does EIFL carry them?)

Yes, Kelly. STAX made them specifically for their earspeakers. You need both the stand and the dust cover.

No idea if EIFL carry them, though. They should, though.

Apr 13, 2002 at 7:57 PM Post #23 of 31
Is there someone in Japan who would be willing to do interested parties a favor and take our money to buy them for the Japan retail price of "72,000 yen = about $570 US dollars." I am becoming interested in a set and am wondering if some kind soul would be willing.

Most anyone, I'd imagine, would much rather do that than spend $1250 or even $900 on a $570 set and just get some sort of power adapter if necessary (is it, by the way, for the Japan-to-American power usage?).

Best,
Matt

Apr 13, 2002 at 11:14 PM Post #24 of 31
Great review, thanks!

Now I want one of those stands, too, for my R10's.

RickG,
Where did you order it and how much was it? Thanks.

markl

Apr 13, 2002 at 11:25 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Great review, thanks!

Now I want one of those stands, too, for my R10's.

RickG,
Where did you order it and how much was it? Thanks.

markl

Got 'em here (England)....around $70 US.....I wanted to check out this company because they have some other stuff I might want to order. They responded to my order rapidily, and I received the stand and dust cover in about a week and a half. You may find them cheaper by looking around.....this was an experiment.

http://www.audiophilecandy.com/heads.asp

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2002 at 3:08 AM Post #26 of 31
Questions about the Stax:

It seems that this system is sensitive to its immediate surroundings. I usually lay down on a sofa while listening, would the back of the sofa have a negative impact on sound?

Thanks

Apr 14, 2002 at 5:30 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by jopi

It seems that this system is sensitive to its immediate surroundings. I usually lay down on a sofa while listening, would the back of the sofa have a negative impact on sound?

Thanks

That's somewhat true of every open headphone but I too wonder if it's moreso a problem for the Stax. But then, even a crippled Stax prolly whoops some non-Stax ass.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2002 at 4:40 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by jopi

Thanks

No, it should have no effect whatsoever. They're only sensitive to a line straight out from the cans.

Apr 14, 2002 at 4:54 PM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Keiso

No, it should have no effect whatsoever. They're only sensitive to a line straight out from the cans.

Most couches have a back, though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back