Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Sep 25, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #1,456 of 2,566

Did I say the 1010 & 1020 are "water proof up to 100 ft"?

Quote:
  The 1010 & 1020 Pelican cases are also water resistant.

You did make the assumption water proof is the same as water resistant. Which is not always the case.

WOW, great story! Guess I'll have to get several of those Otter cases as I usually keep all my IEMs underwater (60 ft at least).

Well you never know. Not that it's a high probability anyways but it is nice to know your items at least have a good chance of not getting water damaged in the event of an accident or even a natural disaster.

1010 Micro Case
Interior Dimensions:
4.37" x 2.87" x 1.68" (11.1 x 7.3 x 4.3 cm)
  1. GREAT FOR RUGGED SPORTS - NOT FOR SWIMMING OR SUBMERGING
  2. Available in clear with color liner or solid
  3. Easy open latch
  4. Rubber liner for extra protection doubles as o-ring seal
  5. Stainless steel hardware
  6. Carabiner
  7. Lifetime Guarantee of Excellence
  8. Water resistant, crushproof, and dust proof

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1010

Sep 25, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #1,457 of 2,566
Maybe bring thread to its topic, I would like to ask the owners something.

I know that many experienced music lovers/audiophiles don't like to suggest special genres for headphones/iems but I seriously enjoy so much listening to Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Metallica, Black Sabbath etc. Do you guys also find SE5way shines with metal music or is it just me?

Yes, they perform pretty much excellent with everything you throw at them but metal/heavy metal is just flawless.

Sep 25, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #1,458 of 2,566
The SE5 is pretty good with multiple genres of music. Although I do prefer the Sui and 1Plus2 for rock music. The SE5 definitely does a good job across the board.

Sep 25, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #1,459 of 2,566
  The SE5 is pretty good with multiple genres of music. Although I do prefer the Sui and 1Plus2 for rock music. The SE5 definitely does a good job across the board.

Never been lucky with universals cuz of the fit problems but how 1+2 does better than SE5way on rock music?

I still want to try that on but I am afraid the fit will kill my pleasure. Maybe Gavin would come up with something different and custom next time
rolleyes.gif

Sep 25, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #1,460 of 2,566
  Never been lucky with universals cuz of the fit problems but how 1+2 does better than SE5way on rock music?

I still want to try that on but I am afraid the fit will kill my pleasure. Maybe Gavin would come up with something different and custom next time
rolleyes.gif

I feel the 1Plus2 has a more spacious presentation which also lends itself to separation. Especially regarding instruments. It really excels at instrument type music and classical. With the SE5 things can feel a bit more cluttered in comparison. Not saying it's bad. Because it is still very good. Much better than the 8A in that regards anyways. The 1Plus2 also has more bite to its treble with more sparkle. Basically a very realistic treble response where cymbals sound like real cymbals. The bass has more impact with a faster decay. It comes and it goes. The SE5 has a slightly slower take on music with a thicker note weight.

Overall I enjoy both very much. The SE5 has a more laid-back approach to the music while still having very good detail and resolution. It's definitely more colored IMO. I like the thicker note weight, the slightly warm tonality and how the notes linger slightly longer. It makes for a natural, organic sound. I also really enjoy the slight emphasis on the vocal range. The SE5 are particularly revealing in this area and are heartless with poorly mastered material.

Well you'll never know until you try :frowning2:. At least you'd be able to sell them in the event they didn't work out for you at a minor loss. With the SE5 we all took a risk because they cannot be sold. But so far I don't regret it besides the initial issues.

Sep 25, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #1,461 of 2,566

I feel the 1Plus2 has a more spacious presentation which also lends itself to separation. Especially regarding instruments. It really excels at instrument type music and classical. With the SE5 things can feel a bit more cluttered in comparison. Not saying it's bad. Because it is still very good. Much better than the 8A in that regards anyways. The 1Plus2 also has more bite to its treble with more sparkle. The bass is has more impact with a faster decay. It comes and it goes. The SE5 has a slightly slower take on music with a thicker note weight.

Well you'll never know until you try :frowning2:. At least you'd be able to sell them in the event they didn't work out for you at a minor loss. With the SE5 we all took a risk because they cannot be sold.

I have time until trying. I need a dap first. Maybe at the time I am ready to buy another high end c/iems there will be successor of 1+2 or something else but in custom structure
happy_face1.gif

Nice explanation and impressions but on treble part, I think it is a bit matter of preference too. I like the smooth and non-bright treble of SE5way. It's not tiring me. I can sit and put them in my ears, plan to listen to 1 album aaaaaaaand it is already 4th album, don't even know how time passed
happy_face1.gif

Sep 25, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #1,463 of 2,566
Well it really depends on your interpretation of bright. Yes the 1Plus2 is on the bright side but nothing like some have made it out to be. At least not for me. The Flat 4 Sui and Kaede are noticeably brighter than the 1Plus2 IMO. Also it depends on if you are a high volume listener. I'm generally a medium volume listener. Sometimes I'll rock out but not for long. I also enjoy low volume listening. At the volumes I listen to I could listen to the 1Plus2 and even Flat 4s for hours without any fatigue. Now if I was to blast the music then of course that is a given (although at that point I'd be more concerned with hearing damage more than anything else). But that applies for the SE5 as well. Although it has a smoother treble it still will get fatiguing for me at higher volumes.

To be honest I actually listen to the SE5 at lower volumes than I do the Flat 4 and the 1Plus2. I listen to the Flat 4 the loudest of them all :). Probably because the IEM is an open design and gives less isolation than the 1Plus2 and SE5. Well it's also the least sensitive of my IEMs. It takes more volume to reach a comfortable volume level on the Flat 4 than the other two.

Sep 25, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #1,464 of 2,566

Did I say the 1010 & 1020 are "water proof up to 100 ft"?

Quote:
  The 1010 & 1020 Pelican cases are also water resistant.

You did make the assumption water proof is the same as water resistant. Which is not always the case.

WOW, great story! Guess I'll have to get several of those Otter cases as I usually keep all my IEMs underwater (60 ft at least).

Well you never know. Not that it's a high probability anyways but it is nice to know your items at least have a good chance of not getting water damaged in the event of an accident.

For your information, the 1010 Pelican case is water proof and/or water resistant — waterproof and water resistant often have one and the same meaning, but not always.

When I bought my 1010 Pelican case 4.5 years ago, I was quite curious and tested the water resistant properties of the case. I filled the kitchen sink with water; the1010 case would not sink and would always come back to the surface, so I had to push it down and put a heavy object (a stone) on top of it to keep it there for about 5 minutes. Not a single drop of water was to be found inside the case once I took it out of the sink.

The test was done with no IEMs inside, obviously, but after the test, I realised the IEMs would have been completely dry had I decided to do the test again with said IEMs inside.

Sep 25, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #1,465 of 2,566
SE-5 changes with source a lot. The trebble is much more present on the 901 than it was on the ak120, bringing a more airy sig.

They definitely are more airy sounding on my Triad L3. But overall it's not what I consider a very airy sounding IEM. It's presentation is more focused on a smoother, thicker note weight and more intimacy. It still has a decently sized sound staging. About on par with the 8A in that regards. But the SE5 has much better depth which is its main focus (more emphasis on depth than width). It also has better separation and spacial positioning within the sound stage. For me this is very important. Mids also don't get cluttered like they did on the 8A. All wins.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #1,466 of 2,566
I don't like listening loud, I would say I am in the middle and sometimes low.

I've gotta change my source, it will give me a different experience for sure. Now let me count how many days left for X-mas and then my birthday and maybe I can do some miracles
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 25, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #1,467 of 2,566
  I don't like listening loud, I would say I am in the middle and sometimes low.

I've gotta change my source, it will give me a different experience for sure. Now let me count how many days left for X-mas and then my birthday and maybe I can do some miracles
tongue_smile.gif

Speaking of Miracle. Listening to Denice Williams on the SE5 right now. Love her music :).

Sep 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #1,468 of 2,566
I think you've overlooked the importance of a CIEM case being 100% waterproof.

I've lost count of the number of times I've accidentally left my CIEMs in my jeans pocket and put them in the washing machine. Still, it keep the sound tubes nice and clean
wink_face.gif

Sep 25, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #1,469 of 2,566
  I think you've overlooked the importance of a CIEM case being 100% waterproof.

I've lost count of the number of times I've accidentally left my CIEMs in my jeans pocket and put them in the washing machine. Still, it keep the sound tubes nice and clean
wink_face.gif

Ciems in jeans pocket? I wouldn't put ciems in my jeans pockets. I put these things inside of my ears, it is not healthy at all. Also I don't think anyone is actually doing that.

Maybe you are just being sarcastic and I am being stupidly straight forward here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back