[REVIEW]: SoundMAGIC HP100 - The Natural All-Rounder Headphone
May 23, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #76 of 89
Yes please do inform if it made a negative or positive difference with sound signature, staging, etc. I am actually going to be doing something similar with the HP100 when I can afford it. I know that the Bass will not have as much impact, but it also mellows out some of the highs when I took of the DT 990s velour pads and tried them.

May 23, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #77 of 89
  Yes please do inform if it made a negative or positive difference with sound signature, staging, etc. I am actually going to be doing something similar with the HP100 when I can afford it. I know that the Bass will not have as much impact, but it also mellows out some of the highs when I took of the DT 990s velour pads and tried them.

an interesting side note, I found the stock angled w1000x pads helped the bass and mids of the HP 100 to come forward quiete a bit, as well as giving the sound stage some more depth to it 

May 23, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #78 of 89
  an interesting side note, I found the stock angled w1000x pads helped the bass and mids of the HP 100 to come forward quiete a bit, as well as giving the sound stage some more depth to it 

Hmm that sounds like a a noteworthy buy. I may just have to jump on to that purchase. Also, how does it feel with those ear pads as far as comfort, because for a pleather paired headphone I find the soundMagic to be one of the more comfortable headphones I have used. And with the DT 990s pads put on there as an attempt to see if they would fit decently, it became the most comfortable headphone I have used. The DT 990 is lighter and has a nicer depth to the ear, but it also has a bit more clamp. I will look into the w1000x thanks for the suggestion.

May 23, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #79 of 89
  Thanks, and very nice, mate. Glad to know they're rocking your socks off! 
biggrin.gif

Wait until they break-in! I wasn't much a believer of burn-in back then, but after using a few pieces of equipment, I've soon to learn that sound does sometimes become more refined over time. Especially with the HP100. I was pretty neutral with it at first, but then after excessive use over a couple of weeks, it really started to open up to me. 
smily_headphones1.gif

That DAC looks pretty interesting, I wonder if it acts as a headphone amp as well?

No dice...The Teac UD-H01 doesn't have any inputs other than digital (optical, coaxial and USB) I got it to feed the Mjolnir... on the otherhand it's (sorta) twin the TEAC A-H01 does have 2 sets of RCA inputs and uses the same Burr Brown DAC (only 1 though). My coworker has it in his office but I really don't like using other peoples stuff. As soon as you do - something usually goes wrong with it. That being said he actually brought it over to my desk when my UD-H01 came in.... He thought I had bought the same one but I told him NOPE!!!!! 
blink.gif

I actually brought the HP100's to work today... couldn't resist!!!
The HD800's actually fit in my little tote bag as well,
but for some reason the thought didn't even occur to me... Hmmmm...

Peace....
L3000.gif

Jun 2, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #82 of 89
My Alcantara pads have arrived! 

I'll leave my short first impressions below..

Before I start, I should let you know that my HP200 are currently just running the HM5 pads, and what I say below will be in comparison to those pads. As for the sound with the HM5 pads, I think they might be the best pads for the HP200 if you want to juice the clarity and detailing and soundstage out of it. :) They give the headphone more depth so your ears do not touch the drivers. 

Anyways...The Alcantara pads are overall very comfortable with the memory foam inside and ventilated exterior. They are very soft and pliable, and are deep enough to prevent your ears from touching the drivers.
As for the sound, I found them to warm up the sound by a bit, as well as decreasing the soundstage by a tincy bit, but the bass is accentuated better with more control. Treble is less bright, but is not depleted. Would I recommend these? Sure, only for those who prefer a warmer sound, and would sacrifice a bit of treble for comfort. 

Thanks, @Change is Good for the recommendation! 

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #84 of 89
What about with HP100? :p

Going off from what they did to the HP200, I think I'll keep my HP100's as is. They're sounding great with the current double padding of stock and HM5, that I don't think using these pads would do them any good, seeing that these alcantaras warm up the sound.

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #86 of 89
What's the difference between double padding and stock? Won't that muffle the sound?

I would have thought the same until I tried it. Because the material middle part of the HM5 pads is relatively thin, it doesn't really affect the muffledness at all. It still sounds clear to me, with a deeper soundstage. I don't know how to describe what effects it produces, but it does sound better than it was before for me.

Aug 10, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #87 of 89
Great review. I have had mine for awhile now. As a man of limited means, I wanted the best I could get for the money and read all the reviews when I spotted these, and while there wasn't a ton to read about what there was was very positive. So I got them and am very pleased. I especially like the bass. I'm not a basshead but I'm not one of those analytical type audiophiles who seem to be completely content with very thin sound(no offense to them just never understood it) , and they have just great bass that goes deep and has impact that can actually be felt. The thing is that despite this bass , a song without it won't have it. Many headphones with good bass seem to bleed into the mids but the mids are extremely clear. They are just really enjoyable headphones. Seriously, there really isn't anything bad about them. Except maybe that coiled cable.

Oct 31, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #88 of 89
Excellent review SkyBleu!  as a fellow blue man, i appreciate all the work you put into that review and clear analysis.
i love my HP100s, especially for EDM.  i find the bass a bit much for smoother music out of an AQ Dragonfly
and switch to more studio monitor phones for wavy ambient stuff .  But the 100s are a great phone for the price,
well made, beautiful and have an engaging sound. your review captures most of the magic, i would just add
that they are especially good for streaming EDM stations, like HBR1 out of Germany, etc.

Nov 7, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #89 of 89
  Excellent review SkyBleu!  as a fellow blue man, i appreciate all the work you put into that review and clear analysis.
i love my HP100s, especially for EDM.  i find the bass a bit much for smoother music out of an AQ Dragonfly
and switch to more studio monitor phones for wavy ambient stuff .  But the 100s are a great phone for the price,
well made, beautiful and have an engaging sound. your review captures most of the magic, i would just add
that they are especially good for streaming EDM stations, like HBR1 out of Germany, etc.

Thank you:)

Sorry, I opened this thread the other day, but forgot to reply as I was busy, and just totally forgot about it.

Yeah, the HP100's is great for EDM tunes. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back