[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
May 12, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #2,251 of 3,824
Quote:
Agreed. During my short audition of the XBA-3 (I returned them), here's my impression between the XBA-3 and the MH1C:

XBA 3 has a more forward and less dark midrange but is also quite relaxing. The bass is punchier/tighter, but the MH1C has similar bass. I think the MH1C has better sub-bass/rumble. The major downside to the XBA-3 was the unnatural treble. High-hats and cymbals sounded "tinny," and there's no sparkle - it just kind of "fizzes" out. For me, the MH1C sounds more natural (many say the XBA series sounds a bit metallic), so I kept the MH1C. 

I agree with this. The rather metallic and unnatural treble of the XBA3 is particularly apparent when I listen to string quartets(since I'm very familiar with how violins, violas and cellos should sound). It's a good IEM, but I tend to prefer the MH1c, since the sonic flaws of the MH1c are easily EQed away, wheras the flaws of the XBA3 are more difficult to remove.

May 12, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #2,252 of 3,824
I know it's weird to say this but I have started to like the original cables with MH1C. They are strong and durable. I can actually take them out on daily basis. I can't do that with X10, EX600, RE262 without needing to baby it so much. I wear MH1C over ears and the fitting is great. No microphonics, good isolation, clip is also a good welcome. I walk and i can almost anything with them. Its weird because when I first got it, I felt like throwing the earphones away because I couldnt get a good fit. But now i actually wish all my other IEMs have the same cabling and fit as MH1C

May 13, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #2,254 of 3,824
I have been using MH1C for about two weeks. It is the most strange IEM i have ever used. With some songs bass is quite controlled and reaches deep. But for others it just shake your head with huge bass tsunami. Rest of spectrum is quite balanced though........

May 13, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #2,255 of 3,824
Quote:
I have been using MH1C for about two weeks. It is the most strange IEM i have ever used. With some songs bass is quite controlled and reaches deep. But for others it just shake your head with huge bass tsunami. Rest of spectrum is quite balanced though........

Very well said... 
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #2,258 of 3,824
Quote:
I know it's weird to say this but I have started to like the original cables with MH1C. They are strong and durable. I can actually take them out on daily basis. I can't do that with X10, EX600, RE262 without needing to baby it so much. I wear MH1C over ears and the fitting is great. No microphonics, good isolation, clip is also a good welcome. I walk and i can almost anything with them. Its weird because when I first got it, I felt like throwing the earphones away because I couldnt get a good fit. But now i actually wish all my other IEMs have the same cabling and fit as MH1C

I've tried to wear these over ears and the results are better than wearing them straight as shown in the Sony advertisement. Microphonics are substantially reduced, but not eliminated. However, the only way for me to get a good seal is to rotate 180 Deg, then shove it into the ear with the end section jammed into first ridge above the ear lobe, not a very comfortable fit - at times its painful, especially when the cable tugs on the left side. I'm thinking my ears don't go well with IEM in general and looking at various alternative portable solutions.

I do like the sound of the Sony MH1C, but the fit and J-cable is a deal breaker for me. Others have no problems and I'm happy they're getting great SQ, comfortable fit at a price that's hard to beat.

Steve

May 14, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #2,259 of 3,824
Agreed. During my short audition of the XBA-3 (I returned them), here's my impression between the XBA-3 and the MH1C:

XBA 3 has a more forward and less dark midrange but is also quite relaxing. The bass is 
punchier/tighter, but the MH1C has similar bass. I think the MH1C has better sub-bass/rumble. The major downside to the XBA-3 was the unnatural treble. High-hats and cymbals sounded "tinny," and there's no sparkle - it just kind of "fizzes" out. For me, the MH1C sounds more natural (many say the XBA series sounds a bit metallic), so I kept the MH1C. 

I agree with that. The XBAs were a weird IEM for me, I loved the soundstage and bass but after listening to me for a few weeks the sound sig seemed really boring to me. It was like there was no air bubble or separation of instruments and everything blended together making it sound mundane. I never got any of that with the MH1cs.

May 15, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #2,260 of 3,824
ANy iem better than MH1C ?

I find mh1c to be dark, i want an iem to be lil brighter than mh1c while retaining the sub bass rumble and, a tad sparkly treble.

How is atrio mg7 compared to mh1c ?

May 15, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #2,263 of 3,824
Holy ****...

Just got these after only 5 days of waiting! I payed 33 dollars all together for shipping all the way here in Canada.

They weren't kidding when they said these had huge lows. These sound SO much better and cleaner than my dt 770's that i had a couple months ago hooked up to an audio engine d1. Sure they don't quite rumble my head, but they are 30 dollars! If these can sound better than my 350 dollar setup I'm sold (Bought everything locally)

I've literally listened to 10 minutes of nero's welcome reality with 1080p without any dacc or preamp and it's like sex in my ******* ears.

May 16, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #2,264 of 3,824
Just picked up the MH1 with a TRRS adapter for 11 bucks and it is the best 11 bucks I have ever spent on audio gear! Still burning in but it sounds good right out of the box, more impressions to come 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back