[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Mar 20, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #2,072 of 3,824
Another benefit to the tip design I depicted earlier in this thread (supergluing de-cored Shure Olives to a custom core comprised of silicon tubing) is that it significantly reduces occlusion effect if you make the silicon cores long enough for the olives to reach the bony portion of your ear canal.  I was just comparing tips of this design that probably come within 1/4" of my ear drum with some shallow-insertion tips, and with the latter, low frequencies associated with my swallowing, coughing, breathing, etc. were very loud, while with the former these noises were not really that noticeable.  It was a pretty major difference, and has convinced me that custom tips with extended cores to permit super-deep insertion when IEMs alone do not are a good thing...

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #2,073 of 3,824
On a sidenote: when I was first using the custom deep-insertion tips I was noticing more earwax on my Olives than with the shallow-insertion tips.  After reading through some forum threads, I decided to rinse my ear canals while in the shower, by putting each ear in the line of spray of the shower head while it is spraying hot water, and that seems to mostly alleviate the problem of wax buildup on the tips.  Not sure if that is safe; does anybody else do this to avoid wax build-up on IEM tips?  Is there perhaps a better way?  I apologize for getting slightly off-topic here...

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #2,074 of 3,824
Quote:
On a sidenote: when I was first using the custom deep-insertion tips I was noticing more earwax on my Olives than with the shallow-insertion tips.  After reading through some forum threads, I decided to rinse my ear canals while in the shower, by putting each ear in the line of spray of the shower head while it is spraying hot water, and that seems to mostly alleviate the problem of wax buildup on the tips.  Not sure if that is safe; does anybody else do this to avoid wax build-up on IEM tips?  Is there perhaps a better way?  I apologize for getting slightly off-topic here...

Yep. I do this. Never had a problems and I think it's safer than using q-tips.

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #2,077 of 3,824
I continue to be impressed with the SQ of these. I know some critics say the bass is slow and that there's too much of it, but I'm a listener, not a graph reader. These don't leave me wanting much vs. my high-end stuff.

Mar 23, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #2,078 of 3,824
I continue to be impressed with the SQ of these. I know some critics say the bass is slow and that there's too much of it, but I'm a listener, not a graph reader. These don't leave me wanting much vs. my high-end stuff.
I completely agree as long as you have an amp or DAC. Running through my phone they sound mediocre, but through my ELE hey sound fantastic.

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #2,079 of 3,824
Finally! :D My recabled MH1:

Mar 24, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #2,081 of 3,824
I had to do the recable again,but this time.Turns out the mic on my phone broke so i needed a headset,thus, a hybrid cable was needed. I figured while i was at it,why not do a full recable? I discovered my fitting problem was with the strain relief,so i made a new one out of heatshrink. The result is an even better sound. I was surprised myself.I put a piece of preheated heatshrink between the housing and cables to create the bass port. when open,bass is much better than the mh1c,but when closed, treble was much better than the original.The final result sounded better and fit better.
Note the cable is now a Y-split instead of the j-cord.

the stock mic/mogami 2893 hybrid cord

dat bassport

proof that it's a real mh1c

fit was way better,i prefer to wear over ear,but can also be work down.

Mar 24, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #2,083 of 3,824
Does anyone know a good dap for the mh1c? i have an ipod touch 4g with a fiio e6 amp (LOD) and a nexus s with voodoo. I've heard great things about the ele dac so i'm ordering one,does anyone know good pairing? i was thinking something small with a micro sd card. Sansa clip or the upcoming fiio x3. Any suggestions are appreciated :)

Mar 24, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #2,084 of 3,824
Quote:
Does anyone know a good dap for the mh1c? i have an ipod touch 4g with a fiio e6 amp (LOD) and a nexus s with voodoo. I've heard great things about the ele dac so i'm ordering one,does anyone know good pairing? i was thinking something small with a micro sd card. Sansa clip or the upcoming fiio x3. Any suggestions are appreciated :)

The cheapo ELE DAC sounds great with these MH1Cs but it is used on your computer only so.....................

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #2,085 of 3,824
The right 'phone of my MH1Cs has drastically less volume suddenly. This occured when just resealing them while using them. Nothing unusual happened and upon looking them over I can't see a problem.

I do use them at the gym a lot. Moisture maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back