[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Nov 30, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #1,292 of 3,824
You'd call it a fair comparison that between a $299 triple BA and a $79 dynamic? How?
Quote:
I've decided to buy a pair of Sony XBA3s to test these against. Given all the hype I think it's a fair comparison.

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #1,293 of 3,824
I have the same problem even wearing it correctly (J cord style)
I already do that but it still loses after a bit. Gets loose and the sound gets thin. After every 10 steps while walking. It is very annoying. I can see how they may have thought of the J Cord design but it is highly impracticle. A regular Y cord with around ear cable guide and clips would have been better.

i wear them j cord style but loop them over my ears and with med tips insert about as deep as i can (right ear has to be pulled out a tiny bit). great seal and stays completely secure except the cable threatens to come loose on right ear a bit. doesnt come loose though!

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #1,294 of 3,824
Quote:
You'd call it a fair comparison that between a $299 triple BA and a $79 dynamic? How?

Hype. If people think it can stack up with low end customs, it should do reasonably well versus a mid-high end universal.I wasn't about to get a pair of low end customs just to test with, even if it's mostly due to having to find and book a time for an ear impression as opposed to cost.

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #1,295 of 3,824
i tried eq'ing it and when i tried a treble boost, i found the signature to take a more v shape.. the mids went a step back.. the better option might be to use a bass reduction .. as bowei006 said, a 4 db decrease in the bass does the overall sound justice ..

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #1,296 of 3,824
only thing i think i want from these now is some tightening up if he bass- not too much though! im really liking the rumble and the weight it gives the music, while not encroaching much at all on the upper registers. if the bass gets better with use ill be perfectly happy with hese until i can save for a GR07 or rockit sounds r50

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #1,297 of 3,824
^yes by "compatible" i meant will I able to hear the music or not? I dont want volume control or track change feature in the mic. So it will play my the music alright?

The MH1C will. Be carefull not to get the MH1 model, it's only complatible with older xperia phones.

Actually it totally depends on where the ground contact is on the headphone socket. In principle it is totally possible for a sound only headphone socket to be compatible with both mic standards, by having a ground contact at both standards' locations. My Fiio E17 is like this. Otherwise which standard the socket is compatible with will just depend on where the ground contact is placed. I remember someone saying his MH1C was incompatible with an audio only device, I think it was a computer. It's a trivial matter to get an adapter to switch between the standards. But if you absolutely must have compatibility without an adapter, check with the device mfc which standard it is compatible with, CTIA (MH1C) OMTP (MH1) or both.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 30, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #1,298 of 3,824
Quote:
Actually it totally depends on where the ground contact is on the headphone socket. In principle it is totally possible for a sound only headphone socket to be compatible with both mic standards, by having a ground contact at both standards' locations. My Fiio E17 is like this. Otherwise which standard the socket is compatible with will just depend on where the ground contact is placed. I remember someone saying his MH1C was incompatible with an audio only device, I think it was a computer. It's a trivial matter to get an adapter to switch between the standards. But if you absolutely must have compatibility without an adapter, check with the device mfc which standard it is compatible with, CTIA (MH1C) OMTP (MH1) or both.

Sir Im not very familiar with technical terms you've used, so kindly bear with me, I mostly listen to  music in my COWON S9 which has a normal 3.5mm headphone jack, it doesnt have those fancy mic feature which we see in Apple ipods. So I just basically wanted to hear music, do you think it can play music?

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #1,299 of 3,824
Quote:
Hmm..I am feeling the exact opposite of what you are saying. Clarity, instrument seperation and soundstage all are just great on these. The thing I like about this is the great detailing at mids and highs even with the bass response and thump it possesses.

this pretty much.

the highs aren't QUITE what i want from a headphone, but they're surprisingly clear and a decent/pleasing touch of sparkle when called for, plus not fatiguing at all.  maybe a little sibilance but may have been some of the recordings i was listening to.  pretty much the opposite of shrill highs (in a good way though).

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #1,300 of 3,824
So you're... believing and reinforcing all the hype as the foundation of your attempts to dismiss the hype? Just sounds like sensationalism...
Quote:
Hype. If people think it can stack up with low end customs, it should do reasonably well versus a mid-high end universal.I wasn't about to get a pair of low end customs just to test with, even if it's mostly due to having to find and book a time for an ear impression as opposed to cost.

Nov 30, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #1,301 of 3,824
Quote:
So you're... believing and reinforcing all the hype as the foundation of your attempts to dismiss the hype? Just sounds like sensationalism...

I'll be happy if I get a cheap IEM that live up to the hype and not surprised if it turns out to be a FOTM which wasn't exorbitantly expensive but still decent. I'm not trying to dismiss or reinforce anything, sorry if you get that impression.

Nov 30, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #1,302 of 3,824
Quote:

Why would that not be a fair comparison, what in your mind makes you think that you cant compare these 2 phones?

Here ill do some for you with a/b

mh1c vs triple fi = Mh1 
w3 vs mh1c = mh1
se435 vs mh1c = mh1

of course that my opinion but to suggest they cant be compared is just ridiculous.

Nov 30, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #1,303 of 3,824
Quote:
Sir Im not very familiar with technical terms you've used, so kindly bear with me, I mostly listen to  music in my COWON S9 which has a normal 3.5mm headphone jack, it doesnt have those fancy mic feature which we see in Apple ipods. So I just basically wanted to hear music, do you think it can play music?

Since MH1C seems to be conforming to the now-becoming-widely-accepted standard I would go with these over the MH1 anyway.  They'll probably work fine but if not you can always get one of these adapters
http://www.nox-audio.com/Products/OMTP-Adapter-16
This will change from one standard to the other and vice versa.

You could also buy one of the Philips line of IEMs for smartphones.  Those come free with an adapter.  For the cheap price they go for it's like buying an adapter and getting a great pair of phones for free.  I recommend the SHE3575 or SHE3595, whichever you can get.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/561951/philips-she3580-iem-review-how-can-something-sound-so-good-for-10

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Nov 30, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #1,304 of 3,824
i tried eq'ing it and when i tried a treble boost, i found the signature to take a more v shape.. the mids went a step back.. the better option might be to use a bass reduction .. as bowei006 said, a 4 db decrease in the bass does the overall sound justice ..

Yeah but even then the -4dB is still a bit too much. Joe has an eq scale that goes down -10dB in bass at one end of it. Kinda like a parabolic curve in the bass region.

Yeah it fits into the socket of my FiiO as well

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #1,305 of 3,824
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah but even then the -4dB is still a bit too much. Joe has an eq scale that goes down -10dB in bass at one end of it. Kinda like a parabolic curve in the bass region.
Quote:

Yeah it fits into the socket of my FiiO as well

More like a straight slant in log scale starting from 400Hz down to -10dB at 20Hz

At first I plugged the MH1C straight into the Fiio, then later I bought a phone that uses the OMTP standard, so I had to add an adapter to use the MH1C with the phone.  Now when using it on the E17 I'll just plug it in along with the adapter and it still works.  That's how I know that the E17 is compatible with both standards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back