[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Nov 10, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #811 of 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[snip]

These issuaes are due to my real world incompatability. I don't blame Sony as this was meant for their specific handsets but as we are buying this for use with many PMP's and units, it should be noted.

I haven't plugged it into any others yet. It may be happening due to the three prongs on my iphone jack not working well with the IEM's. I use it with my desktop unit with none of these problems so that is where my hypothesis starts, an error or random signal generated from the controller and sent to the iphone causing weird control glitches. It only happned twice yesterday. A bigger part is that while walking or just out and about, there will be those tiny pops, it may be the headphone jack of my iphone not playing nice with the IEM's male 3.5mm plug and when it moves around causes these problems.

Again, I agree that incompatibility issues should definitely be noted. But let me throw this out there... Is it possible you received a defective unit or that the jack on your 4S is slightly faulty?

BTW, after a bit more digging around, if you look at the Sony Store website, click on the Specifications tab for the MH1C's. It lists compatibility with Apple cell phones for "Answer, Listen, and Talk" functions. Strange, since this is different than their sales sheet.

Sony Store MH1C

One way or another, it doesn't affect me personally, but I think it's good to have a definitive answer for the benefit of other iPhone users.

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #812 of 3,824
Hi Head-fi,

I'd been reading this awesome site a for couple of months, but I created an account just today. I bought these little gems based on clieos review and I certainly don't regret it :D, they're astounding. The sound is exuisite for its price and even in the price range of cca 150usd it's hard to find any competition. I also have one pair of Sennheiser IE 60 which are sold here for 120 USD and the MH1C sounds overally better. However I think the IE60 have a little bit better soundstage and tremble.

Speaking about fake Sony MH1C - for once and for all - there aren't any atm, so buy safe :)
Quote:
These are nice earphones with good clarity and detail with a bit of mid boost.  I would compare these to the GR07 with less isolation and less bass.  

These are more detailed and have better mids then the TF10 but due it's poor isolation and lack of warmth and bass, I would not be using them over my TF10s which sound more bolder and fuller.   

Wait, are you saying the Vsonic GR07 have better isolation and more bass than Sony MH1C? Sorry but I have to disagree. My main complains about GR07 were exactly poor isolation (averange with right tips at best) and bass, which had good detail and speed, but lacked in ammount and punch for my liking. Though I think the SQ of GR07 is better, I find myself I enjoy listening to MH1C more.

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #813 of 3,824
Quote:

Again, I agree that incompatibility issues should definitely be noted. But let me throw this out there... Is it possible you received a defective unit or that the jack on your 4S is slightly faulty?

BTW, after a bit more digging around, if you look at the Sony Store website, click on the Specifications tab for the MH1C's. It lists compatibility with Apple cell phones for "Answer, Listen, and Talk" functions. Strange, since this is different than their sales sheet.

Sony Store MH1C

One way or another, it doesn't affect me personally, but I think it's good to have a definitive answer for the benefit of other iPhone users.

I do not think it is defective. It doesn't happen on my desktop unit meaning that it is limited to the smart key controller interferring with controls on my phone by sending erroneous signals sometimes. FAulty jack on my 4S? No. Any three prong multi phone compatible IEM or earphone works on it. 

It does answer phone calls. When I say answer, I mean that I still have to swipe the screen but the audio plays through the IEM. The mic does not work with iphone 4S. It listens, and I can talk and hear people, while using the iphone 4S's mic.

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #814 of 3,824
I just read through all of the MH1C threads and realized that these are actually use a micro driver. Makes it by far the cheapest micro driver set on the market. Given how much these look and sound like the Trumpets, it makes sense to me. 

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #815 of 3,824
Thanks so much. Does this one from Frontier fit a standard mp3 player? Thanks so much

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #816 of 3,824
Quote:
Thanks so much. Does this one from Frontier fit a standard mp3 player? Thanks so much

Yes. It should. Should is the keyword. Their compatibility list is not all inclusive and is even wrong at many times. My iPhone 4S can not do half the functions that it implies it can do even on the list. But as a standard MP3 player that isn't an iPod has the standard two prongs then it shouldn't be a problem.

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #817 of 3,824
Quote:

It actually doesn't. The E10 can't be used with TRRS jacks (cables with a remote and mic), because you'll have channel issues and the sound will be weird. I had to use a splitter that separates the remote and mic from the sound channel.

Hmmmm.  My MH1's work fine on my E10.  I have another pair of headphones with a TRRS jack that I sometimes had to plug in 3/4 way to work on the E10, but they work fine now, once they got to know each other.  Never a problem with the MH1, though.  The E10 thread seems to indicate different batches of the E10 having different plugs? 

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #818 of 3,824
Well, there's a difference between MH1 (with SE logo) and MH1C (with Sony logo). The MH1 uses an OMPT connector and works with Sony Ericsson and older Samsung and Nokia phones. The new MH1C uses a CTIA connector and is compatible with Sony, Apple and newer Samsung phones, as well as majority of newer mp3 players.

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #819 of 3,824
Quote:
Well, there's a difference between MH1 (with SE logo) and MH1C (with Sony logo). The MH1 uses an OMPT connector and works with Sony Ericsson and older Samsung and Nokia phones. The new MH1C uses a CTIA connector and is compatible with Sony, Apple and newer Samsung phones, as well as majority of newer mp3 players.

Compatability means many things. In this case, the word compatability should be taken to mean play audio in its most basic form. Mileage may vary on if the extra controls affect sound and other things.

Nov 10, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #820 of 3,824
Yeah, I should be more concrete. By compatibilty I meant it could play music (I'm not talking about the remote features like volume adjust etc.). If you have a phone/mp3 player with OMPT connector and Sony MH1C with CTIA connector, you'll need to hold the middle button on the remote in order to get it work. Otherwise it will just play in one chanell and the sound will be muddy, without detail and bass. This can be solved by using any 3,5mm stereo jack female to 3,5mm stereo jack cable/adapter, or with CTIA-OMPT adapter, or by sticking the connector about 3/4 in your device.

As far as remote functions go, according to the sale sheet, none of the features is compatible with iPhone. Answer/call feature (basically just the microphone) is compatible with newer Htc/Samsung phones and full fuctionality is available with Sony phones only.

Nov 10, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #821 of 3,824
Just wanna add that I am in love with these IEMs. $30 and they give me EXACTLY the sound I've been looking for: Good detail, instrument separation, warm lower-midrange, no sibilance. These blow my $100 RE-ZEROs out of the water. Great find, and I'm pimping them to all of my friends.

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #822 of 3,824
Interesting that you find the treble bright with MH1C. Many times I preferred to EQ the treble up
bigsmile_face.gif
I use iTunes' preset 'Treble Booster' and to my ears it seems to lift that veil off without sounding shrill because the treble is already smooth.

I say this for most of my songs that it sounds better to me. Except on a particular acoustic by Dylan Ryche where his record is largely unaltered and the tonewood of his steel string acoustic guitar shines on the fundamental notes: Spruce top with Sapele back & sides which often characterised as woody, warmer and punchy with low coloration and overtone content and quicker in decay than compared to an Indian Rosewood, and this EQ made the timbre sound really off.

However, for other acoustic record like Erik Bickerstaffe (tracks on my previous review post), his guitar is brighter (Taylor guitars) and uses the Rosewood back/sides and plus his record is also produced, and so this EQ really sweetens the timbre even more.

I guess it really depends on what song or genre being played. Although I think its not very obvious in most of my songs, from this particular encounter I feel the MH1C leans more towards songs with electronics or produced music than original unaltered microphone-recorded songs.

Quote:
I would say that this is akin to the MP8320. In that in terms of sonic qualities, they may have at some parts have had parts of it better than what some other headphones I have can do. This effect can further be amplfiied if you are a person that fell in love with said IEM. I would rather choose the TF10's in that they are much more complete sounding if I recall than the MH1C's. The vocals yes were toned down but they didn't have as huge of a moving around problem as the MH1C's do, the stock cable was still better than this MH1C one and they were just overall much more smoother. The tip top of the vocals on the MH1C's are bright. It kinda hurts sometimes. 

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #823 of 3,824
Quote:
Interesting that you find the treble bright with MH1C. Many times I preferred to EQ the treble up
bigsmile_face.gif
I use iTunes' preset 'Treble Booster' and to my ears it seems to lift that veil off without sounding shrill because the treble is already smooth.

I say this for most of my songs that it sounds better to me. Except on a particular acoustic by Dylan Ryche where his record is largely unaltered and the tonewood of his steel string acoustic guitar shines on the fundamental notes: Spruce top with Sapele back & sides which often characterised as woody, warmer and punchy with low coloration and overtone content and quicker in decay than compared to an Indian Rosewood, and this EQ made the timbre sound really off.

However, for other acoustic record like Erik Bickerstaffe (tracks on my previous review post), his guitar is brighter (Taylor guitars) and uses the Rosewood back/sides and plus his record is also produced, and so this EQ really sweetens the timbre even more.

I guess it really depends on what song or genre being played. Although I think its not very obvious in most of my songs, from this particular encounter I feel the MH1C leans more towards songs with electronics or produced music than original unaltered microphone-recorded songs.

I don't. Its actually quite "dark" and not recessed but just there in themiddle zone. The tippy top of the vocals are bright. Not the vocals. The edge of the voice leaves a slightly harsh and brigh spot. Typically happens with the letter "e"

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #824 of 3,824
Quote:
Hi Head-fi,

I'd been reading this awesome site a for couple of months, but I created an account just today. I bought these little gems based on clieos review and I certainly don't regret it :D, they're astounding. The sound is exuisite for its price and even in the price range of cca 150usd it's hard to find any competition. I also have one pair of Sennheiser IE 60 which are sold here for 120 USD and the MH1C sounds overally better. However I think the IE60 have a little bit better soundstage and tremble.

Speaking about fake Sony MH1C - for once and for all - there aren't any atm, so buy safe :)
Wait, are you saying the Vsonic GR07 have better isolation and more bass than Sony MH1C? Sorry but I have to disagree. My main complains about GR07 were exactly poor isolation (averange with right tips at best) and bass, which had good detail and speed, but lacked in ammount and punch for my liking. Though I think the SQ of GR07 is better, I find myself I enjoy listening to MH1C more.

To me the GR07 do have better isolation with the large hybird tips.   I find the sound of the GRO7 more bolder then the MH1.  On my Sony X1060 the clear bass was most of the time at 0 and at times 1+ with the GR07.  But with the MH1 I have to boost the clear bass as I find it too thin sounding and lacking bass at flat.   

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #825 of 3,824
OK, a few notes on these from a non-audiophile. My points of reference are Brainwavez M2s, REOs, and NuForce 700x, so nothing high end.

These are clearly better than those but given this thread that was my expectation.

In a very non-scientific way, I divide my listening experience between how accurately the device duplicates the sound of the instruments individually and how well it captures the sound in space. I guess this is what's referred to as soundstage. To me those are two equally important criteria in evaluating music replication.

The MH1C's duplication of the sound of instruments is clearly more accurate than the other IEM's I've heard. However, I'm not sure the soundstage is much better and the sound is very clearly inside my head. Playing a symphony  I don't feel surrounded by waves of music as I do with my Koss DJ100s. I'm not sure if its fair to compare the two, but I was hoping that a high end (performance, not price) IEM would come a bit closer than this. 

A few other things:

The cord feels rugged and the flatness is for me a non-factor.However it is loud when walking.  They hang find down from my ears, even with the weird cord shape.

They are pretty hard to drive and I need to crank up the volume more than for my other IEMs. They also seem to sounds a good deal better coming out of my laptop than my J3.

For 30 bucks they're an amazing deal. And maybe my expectations for what's possible with an IEM soundstage are unrealistic. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back