[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Nov 9, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #781 of 3,824
Quote:
Do anyone knows where i can find 4-pole female CTIA to 3-pole male standard stereo 3.5mm jack?

I heard someone had problem connecting MH1C to laptop jack, so I want to avoid that, as I will mainly listen through FiiO E10, just some through android phone.

Or if anyone tried IEMs through E10 and if it works without preoblems, just  confirm that.

Thanks!

I can confirm that the MH1C works without issue through the FiiO E10.

Nov 9, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #782 of 3,824
Quote:
Just ordered a pair off MobiMega's ebay store: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Original-MH1C-Handsfree-for-Sony-Xperia-S-LT26i-LT26w-ST-27i-MT25i-ST25-i-LT28i-/140877702700?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item20ccf7262c

Just to confirm, these should be genuine, right?

Yes, they are genuine.  Mine are also bought from MobiMega.

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #783 of 3,824
I got a pair of MH1C in the same day as I got a pair of Miles Davis Trumpets from the sale forums here. I originally wasn't expecting much from the MH1C, but they are built (microphonic flat cable, three button remote) and sound very much alike. Both have good bass extension with more than neutral sub bass. The Trumpets have more emphasis on the highs and can keep up a faster pace, but they are also more prone to sibilance with poor recordings. 

If I were using ljokerl's numerical scale for SQ, I'd give them both the same score, a 8.9. That's good enough to compete with most headphones in the $150-$200 price range. The MH1C would still be contenders at their $90 MSRP, but they are a steal at this price.

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #784 of 3,824
Quote:
I got a pair of MH1C in the same day as I got a pair of Miles Davis Trumpets from the sale forums here. I originally wasn't expecting much from the MH1C, but they are built (microphonic flat cable, three button remote) and sound very much alike. Both have good bass extension with more than neutral sub bass. The Trumpets have more emphasis on the highs and can keep up a faster pace, but they are also more prone to sibilance with poor recordings. 

If I were using ljokerl's numerical scale for SQ, I'd give them both the same score, a 8.9. That's good enough to compete with most headphones in the $150-$200 price range. The MH1C would still be contenders at their $90 MSRP, but they are a steal at this price.

I wouldn't buy them at $90. Limited Availbility and the lack of legitimacy. The majority of the units being bought are not in retail pacakges. We can not only tell if there are fakes or not, if we are getting the right version that wasn't mislabbeled by the company itself already. So yes, there is little support from the real company on it and its just us buying off of 3rd party. Next, the real MH1C version has usability problems to the max. The controls on the MH1C with use on the iPhone is acutally counter productive. The volume has suddenly popped to near max and near gone today multiple times with pops and slight right channel and then left channel quick disappearances from the controls interferring with something even when they weren't pressed. They also get in the way of everything. The J cable design puts stress on the wrong areas. The tips and their canals are narrow so slight movements while mobile will change it and with the smart control in the way, it makes it even less useable.Putting it over the ear and moving fixed a good portion of the problem, but introduced the problem of misplaced stress, these for me actually require a tiny bit of stress in the right area so that it fits well. This is mainly for standing up and moving as while sitting, it doesn't happen.

Basically these are good for stationary places for me. Awful usability for non Sony smartphone users ruins it. And whose idea was it for J wire?

$150-$200? No. This is how FOTM gets started. Where a few people that do have experience with that price range headphones like the FOTM headphone better and compare it and because they prefer the FOTM, say the FOTM is better. Is that wrong? No. It is mearley their opinion, they found a new headphone they prefer better. This is usually about 1 in every 10 on these finds. However speaking in a more overall sense, no, at $150 or $200, the TF10's in my opinion do a better job overall. With EQ on the MH1C's they sound nice, but same with the TF10's, I could EQ it so that they also did the same thing but with better vocals. TF10's aren't vocal prone, but there is a problem that I have with the upper vocals where its just very bright. Without EQ, its hidden very well by the bass but with Joe's EQ, it reveals itself. No EQ change fixes it, its just a sonic characteristic of the MH1C.

For their sound while stationary, yes they compare to $100. With that light EQ or maybe even without, they do very well and can be at sub $100 but due to their design where it sounds best with the narrow tip canal that can be moved and changed more while moving, the light weight design and J cable, I would pay at tops $50 for this. And even at $50, I would just get another as usability is more important while I am on the go.

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #785 of 3,824
Quote:
I don't have my e10 anymore but I'm 99.9% sure you won't have issues with the mh1c connected straight to the e10 without any adapters . 

Thanks for answer!

I'll just check when I back home. No search or order of adapter so far.

But there is worst possible scenario.. MH1C arrived today, wife told me,  but I will there at Monday :)  

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #787 of 3,824
I wouldn't buy them at $90...

I always wonder when we'll see a negative impression (not being sarcastic here, as I do think any thread should have some negative feedback and why I generally doesn't like to post in an appreciation thread). However, I do think that if you have to or want to pay $90 for MH1, you should have gotten the full retail package from Sony directly, box, warranty and all. So I think that comparison is a bit off. Anyway, which generation of iPhone are we talking here? I think it will be fair to warn people of that generation of iPhone with the potential issue or maybe other iPhone user can provide more feedback as well.

As for FOTM, I don't disagree. It is hard to truly judge the value a piece of gear when it is in that status. Unfortunately it is an issue that only time can resolved.

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #788 of 3,824
I managed to burn these for more than 30 hours now but to be honest I felt it had already opened up after the first 45 - 90 minutes of use. I could not tell any significant difference pass 12, 24 and now 30 hours into it.

I take any perceived slight improvements to be psychological or because I just love my music
smile.gif
You can tell that I do have my reservations how much different it will sound past 300 hours but I will wait for that and see

At the moment, with a 3.5mm splitter cable, I am comparing the Sony MH1C with Superlux HD381F since I got both at the almost identical price at around USD$20.

HD381F was mentioned as a good value performer (I believe it still is, for the price) giving very good tonal balance with a slight forward midrange. There is a thread that even compared them to other higher end IEMs like TF10, Shure SE530, Westone 3, UM3X, Audio Technica CK100 and the likes with HD381F somehow coming highly favourable to the TS.

Although I prefer the HD381B (its sibling) but many are more familiar with the HD381F, so I think I’ll throw it into the mix here as far as comparison goes.

First thing I noticed is that the MH1C needs to be driven slightly more to equal volume, but scales up a lot better than HD381F. MH1C seems more refined and takes more power to drive (the right technical term?) and treble top is smoother and everything notches up well with the volume control. At times I also feel that the MH1C feels more effortless whereas the HD381F is being stretched when compared to each other.

MH1C have more bass (from a good seal) giving a fuller bottom end which makes the overall presentation more immersive and enjoyable to me. However, male vocals of HD381F sound more present, raw and realistic than MH1C’s somehow too smooth signature though. For acoustic tracks, I find myself enjoying MH1C much more after EQing it to “Treble Booster” using iTunes.

I took that recommendation from someone here in this thread but I can’t remember exactly who. I think this EQ somehow works very well with MH1C and could easily become my favourite tuning. It kinda takes the veil off that smoothness (if that made any sense) and bring back the energy/life at the highs that I like.

The HD381F is vented and will sound more open and appears to convey live tracks much better. MH1C still have a better soundstage depth to my ears though, and I think it’s because the midrange of HD381F is slightly more forward. HD381F seems to be slightly better at vocal timbre and presence.

Soundstage width is about the same, both still appearing in-your-head and narrow as with most IEMs. Imaging placement is slightly better with MH1C. Instruments can sound less separated and more congested on HD381F.

Microphonic is a black and white thing to me. I do not tolerate microphonics well. It’s almost impossible for me to take the MH1C out for a walk as it proved to be too microphonic for me, even with the shirt clip on. I never had any problem with HD381F though. Having said that, the seal with MH1C is better but at a stationary position. I guess the MH1C will be fixed to home use for me.

Before I get flamed or killed lol, I want to clarify that I’m not saying MH1C is the best IEM ever or anything like that. I am also not indicating that they are very good at the highest level. Most likely and I am very sure that they are not. I use the word ‘slightly’ to indicate that the difference is not drastic and may not be immediately noticeable at casual listening. I am just comparing between these two IEM at the same price and how it sounds to me. Thats all. These descriptions are my subjective take, so please take with a grain of salt. Peace guys!
smile.gif

Tracks/Album used:
  1. The Corrs – Rainy Day (320kbps) Female Vocal Pop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LX5yD5XzXY
  2. David Cook – Always Be My Baby (320kbps) Male Vocal Pop
  3. Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds (Live at Luther College) Album (320kbps) Acoustic (Male Vocal) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtaIh-btbJU
  4. Marian Call – Ina Flew the Coop (ALAC) Acoustic Folk Pop (Female Vocal) http://mariancall.bandcamp.com/track/ina-flew-the-coop
  5. Incubus – Dig (ALAC) Alternative Rock
  6. Incubus – If Not Now, When? (320kbps) Alternative Rock http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kolkzWHQDs
  7. Tomáš Dvořák – Machinarium Soundtrack Album (ALAC) Electronic Acoustic http://store.floex.cz/album/machinarium-soundtrack
  8. Eric Bickerstaffe - Raindrop (ALAC) Acoustic Fingerstyle http://ericbickerstaffe.bandcamp.com/track/raindrop

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #789 of 3,824
In any case, regardless of the value arguement, just wanted to say thanks ClieOS for providing the reivew. I went ahead and picked up a pair. Gunna pass them on to a friend who is getting into better sound.

I covered the ports and am pretty impressed with them. No need to recap but very good sounding IEM.

Also props to DSnuts cuz I found this thread from a post of his in another thread.

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #790 of 3,824
Those Superlux sound pretty good. Might give them a try later on.

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #791 of 3,824
We can not only tell if there are fakes or not, if we are getting the right version that wasn't mislabbeled by the company itself already

i dont think any fakes have been reported yet ...so no worries there.

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #792 of 3,824
Quote:
Those Superlux sound pretty good. Might give them a try later on.

Can't wait for you to review them ... & the tralucent t1!

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #793 of 3,824
Quote:
I wouldn't buy them at $90. Limited Availbility and the lack of legitimacy. The majority of the units being bought are not in retail pacakges. We can not only tell if there are fakes or not, if we are getting the right version that wasn't mislabbeled by the company itself already. So yes, there is little support from the real company on it and its just us buying off of 3rd party. Next, the real MH1C version has usability problems to the max. The controls on the MH1C with use on the iPhone is acutally counter productive. The volume has suddenly popped to near max and near gone today multiple times with pops and slight right channel and then left channel quick disappearances from the controls interferring with something even when they weren't pressed. They also get in the way of everything. The J cable design puts stress on the wrong areas. The tips and their canals are narrow so slight movements while mobile will change it and with the smart control in the way, it makes it even less useable.Putting it over the ear and moving fixed a good portion of the problem, but introduced the problem of misplaced stress, these for me actually require a tiny bit of stress in the right area so that it fits well. This is mainly for standing up and moving as while sitting, it doesn't happen.

Basically these are good for stationary places for me. Awful usability for non Sony smartphone users ruins it. And whose idea was it for J wire?

$150-$200? No. This is how FOTM gets started. Where a few people that do have experience with that price range headphones like the FOTM headphone better and compare it and because they prefer the FOTM, say the FOTM is better. Is that wrong? No. It is mearley their opinion, they found a new headphone they prefer better. This is usually about 1 in every 10 on these finds. However speaking in a more overall sense, no, at $150 or $200, the TF10's in my opinion do a better job overall. With EQ on the MH1C's they sound nice, but same with the TF10's, I could EQ it so that they also did the same thing but with better vocals. TF10's aren't vocal prone, but there is a problem that I have with the upper vocals where its just very bright. Without EQ, its hidden very well by the bass but with Joe's EQ, it reveals itself. No EQ change fixes it, its just a sonic characteristic of the MH1C.

For their sound while stationary, yes they compare to $100. With that light EQ or maybe even without, they do very well and can be at sub $100 but due to their design where it sounds best with the narrow tip canal that can be moved and changed more while moving, the light weight design and J cable, I would pay at tops $50 for this. And even at $50, I would just get another as usability is more important while I am on the go.

I wouldn't feel incredibly cheated if I paid MSRP ($80) or street price ($60) for the boxed retail version. The TF10 is also my value champion in the sub $200 bracket and a top tier iem in it's own right. It should still be a $300+ iem like the Westone 3 and Shure 535, but it has its own usability issues (terrible stock cable, doesn't fit people with small ears). I feel that the MH1C is in very much the same boat, just a performance level down. In other words, it gives you the SQ of an average $150 iem for $30. 

I'm currently A/Bing against a pair of Monster Trumpets right now using an Audio GD SA-1 dac to Apex Arete amp and the TF10 100 ohm resistance adapter. The two trade blows, with the MH1C being more forgiving and having leaner bass than the Monsters. Granted, microphonics are terrible and the MH1C is best used while stationary, but these are much closer to the Trumpets then the Monoprice 8320 and Mee M6 (only other decent inexpensive iems I own). The last two sound grainy in comparison, as if the drivers are unable to present the music at the same level of resolution.

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #794 of 3,824
I got my pair yesterday and to me these are the real deal. IMO they make a great showing next to my other IEMs like the FX700s, Heir 4.Ais et. al. Not saying they're "better" or "worse" than those 'phones, just saying I can enjoy the MH1Cs on the same level. Also, they are really comfortable in my years and I can get a good seal without effort. And I love J-cords, so there.

At $22 this may well be my best audio purchase ever. Again, this is all in my opinion. Thanks a lot for bringing these to my attention, ClieOS.

Nov 10, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #795 of 3,824
[snip]

Next, the real MH1C version has usability problems to the max. The controls on the MH1C with use on the iPhone is acutally counter productive. The volume has suddenly popped to near max and near gone today multiple times with pops and slight right channel and then left channel quick disappearances from the controls interferring with something even when they weren't pressed.

IMHO, you can't be too critical that the controls on the MH1C do not work with iPhones when the fact is, they were never designed to. But like ClieOS said, it is fair to warn people of compatibility issues and provide additional feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back