[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Jan 20, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #3,661 of 3,824
Well, they are still easy to get through the various amazon sites in Europe, but I guess sooner or later the stock will dry up.

Not so easy anymore. Too many fakes circulating already. Read the reviews left by amazon customers; should be obvious that it's a gamble at this point (at least with the extremely cheap units). Only available through third-party sellers now.

If you know a trustworthy seller, do tell!

if you cover the vents the bass will become tight

Have read about this. Main priority now is to learn some skills to re-cable the damn thing... after I get a backup unit. It's worth it.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #3,662 of 3,824
Not so easy anymore. Too many fakes circulating already. Read the reviews left by amazon customers; should be obvious that it's a gamble at this point. Only available through third-party sellers now.

If you know of a trustworthy seller, do tell!
Well, I bought several units back in the day when this thread was started and a few in later years for some friends all from amazon uk, but I doubt there are any fakes now. I can see how a ton of people can complain though as the cable is not very user-friendly and 99% of the people that have tested my mh1c can't stand it. Also, there is zero clarification about OMTP and CTIA and even than the average consumer will still be at a loss what his/her device supports, which leads to all the amazon customers complaining that the mh/c doesn/t work with their phones, especially iphones.

And finally, let's be honest - the mh1 is a bit overhyped as a giant killer. Now, the market for it surged again after clavinetjunkie's praises on youtube, but the truth is that its sound signature and presentation are not for everyone. It has a specific sound that will cater to specific people's preferences, but because of the hype most potential buyers have unrealistically high expectations and the on-going trend when someone says something sounds bad and is overhyped is for the people who praise the product to jump to the conclusion that the unhappy customers got a fake as there is no way someone doesn't like it.

Jan 20, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #3,663 of 3,824
I could never wear the pair I have though I love the sound the cable just pulls them out constantly.

My son borrowed them and within a week he had lost the tips and broken the cable. I wouldn't be able to re cable them but I'm reluctant to trash them.

Why the sudden interest in then. This thread has been dead for years.

Jan 20, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #3,664 of 3,824
I could never wear the pair I have though I love the sound the cable just pulls them out constantly.

My son borrowed them and within a week he had lost the tips and broken the cable. I wouldn't be able to re cable them but I'm reluctant to trash them.

Because clavinetjunkie recently reviewed them on youtube and has been singing praises, even using it as a reference in other reviews. Just like crinacle sparkled again the interest in the sony mh755.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #3,665 of 3,824
but I doubt there are any fakes now.

I agree that the OMTP/CTIA confusion is to blame for some of the bad feedback, but what makes you think there are no fakes anymore?

EDIT: About the OMTP/CTIA issue.. in the rush of the moment I forgot (as usual) that ClieOS actually clarifies the issue in the first post of this thread. Of course, many buyers won't have read this thread.

And finally, let's be honest - the mh1 is a bit overhyped as a giant killer. Now, the market for it surged again after clavinetjunkie's praises on youtube, but the truth is that its sound signature and presentation are not for everyone. It has a specific sound that will cater to specific people's preferences, but because of the hype most potential buyers have unrealistically high expectations and the on-going trend when someone says something sounds bad and is overhyped is for the people who praise the product to jump to the conclusion that the unhappy customers got a fake as there is no way someone doesn't like it.

Not my style to jump on a hype train and I don't even know who this clavinetjunkie guy is (I don't watch youtube videos to entertain this hobby). My usual reaction to what I perceive as "hype" is to keep a distance or simply ignore it. I find it annoying for the most part and somewhat subversive of truth, which is the main reason why I've dismissed this IEM for so long. For the longest time, my expectations for the MH1 were what you can read in the first line of my first comment in this thread a few comments above.

Now that I've heard it, I'm not going to pretend that I'm not hearing what I'm hearing. When it comes to sonic merits alone, yes, I do consider that this product legitimately deserves the label of 'giant-killer'. It's the only product I can say that about. I'm not talking only about sound signature or presentation; I'm talking about raw acoustic proficiency. It plays a note and I barely hear any resonance or echo from within the enclosure. Whatever coloration that is imparted on the reproduction of the mids and treble is remarkably well controlled. There is virtually no distraction, it plays the note almost cleanly. Not a trivial acoustic accomplishment. That's my perception of the MH1 and I'll state it regardless of what everyone else thinks or how it makes you feel (lol) or how harmful it is for your hypothetical business (sorry, not sorry) or how absurd it seems (not really that absurd considering the precarious correlation between sound quality and the price of a headphone).

Likewise, I'd have no problem to publicly ridicule the hype for this IEM as a load of bull if I felt the opposite about the sound of the MH1 and felt that people were being mislead unfairly.

There are consequences to voicing opinions, I make an effort to provide something useful or valuable to the reader. I believe that honesty is for the best. What the reader decides to do with this piece of information is their problem.

An experienced reviewer's feedback on the MH755 some weeks ago made me look into it. Due praise, in my opinion. He's work provides useful data. Deductions can be made. It's good work.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #3,667 of 3,824
FastAndClean said:
if you cover the vents the bass will become tight

+1 This is the way to listen to this IEM.

Some of you might find this post interesting: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sound-science-approach-to-modding-headphones.694963/page-4#post-14744462

10233270.png

The discussion is about modding headphones and IEMs in general. The MH1 just happened to be one of the IEMs mentioned in the post. Scroll all the way to the bottom for the MH1.

Jan 29, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #3,668 of 3,824
ive been using these for a while now and they seem pretty great though i have the updated mh1c version not the original becuase i didn't want to get an adapter.

its a quality pair of headphones for the price you're paying however what i dont like about them is how they stick outside of your ears like they dont seem to fit really deep in your ear. Idk if they are intentionally designed that way but the casing sits way outside of your ear.

Jan 29, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #3,669 of 3,824
I love the sound of this item. Are there any others with a similar sound?

Jan 29, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #3,671 of 3,824
I had these when they were first talked about, loved them. Then got other headphones and kinda forgot about them. The last week I have been listening with them once again, maybe after at least 2-3 years, and they are like that best friend that you have not seen for so many years, but once you see him/her it is as if you have seen each other just yesterday. Yes they are that intimate, that close, that amazing. Such a spectacular $20 I have spent years ago. Quality headphones for sure, and if you can find the real ones, go buy them. It will be a staple for many years to come.

Jan 30, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #3,672 of 3,824
For those interested in getting the original OMTP version of this IEM (presumably the better or most consistent sounding version), I got a second unit that appears to be legit from this seller on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Erics...eo-Headset-Headphone-MH1-BL-MH-1/282801771243

It sounds and looks identical to my first unit. I love this thing, and I'm a little mad for getting only one backup.

I don't know if all units sold by this source are actually legit. Maybe I just got lucky so... engage at your own risk.

Jan 30, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #3,673 of 3,824
I love the sound of this item. Are there any others with a similar sound?

I've read the XBA-H3 has a similar sound signature. The XBA-N3 is probably not very different either. I was planning to get the N3 at some point but changed my mind after listening to the MH1. I doubt the sound upgrade is that significant, but probably worth the investment for the convenience factor because the MH1 is almost unusable in stock form. I prefer the MH1 to the Final E5000, which is often compared to the N3. The Final doesn't sound bad and has good clarity for a "dark" and bassy sound signature, but it lacks the timbral purity of the Sony. Not as good acoustics, I can hear the damn enclosure.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #3,674 of 3,824
This is the thing, these are so cheap it puts me off spending £200

Jan 30, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #3,675 of 3,824
I've read the XBA-H3 has a similar sound signature. The XBA-N3 is probably not very different either. I was planning to get the N3 at some point but changed my mind after listening to the MH1. I doubt the sound upgrade is that significant, but probably worth the investment for the convenience factor because the MH1 is almost unusable in stock form. I prefer the MH1 to the Final E5000, which is often compared to the N3. The Final doesn't sound bad and has good clarity for a "dark" and bassy sound signature, but it lacks the timbral purity of the Sony. Not as good acoustics, I can hear the damn enclosure.

I think the mh1 sounds better than any xba. They are all good, but none are as linear with regard to frequency response. Ironically, the xba 1 is probably the most neutral of the xba line.

On another note, I got a note 9 and was blown away by the overall neutrality of the included AKG earphones. They are still slightly "hyped" with a more U shaped response. However, the tuning is so smooth they simply sound superb. They are sold separately for $100, and I'd take them over any xba for any price. However, the mh1 at $20 is a hard to beat value...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back