[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Apr 25, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #2,221 of 3,824
I bought these IEMs a couple of weeks ago (no Sony Ericsson logo on the rear) and I'm quite satisfied with the sound quality.

To my disbelief, since I think it is an OMTP device, my Samsung Player 4.2 is compatible with all of its keys except for the Smartkey, of course. Nonethelss, I'm a little disappointing with the quality of the recordings through the microphone, because there's too much static which - I found out -  can be heavely reduced when I hold the Smartkey. The same applies to Skype and to any other applications where the use of the microphone is involved. On the other hand, I tried the IEMs on my oldish and cheap Huawei Ideos U8150 and, inesplicably to my knowledge, the receiver hears no static during the conversation nor is there during recordigs.

So, my question is: do you think that if I buy an CTIA to OMPT adapter that will be able of reducing the static?

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #2,222 of 3,824
Quote:

So, my question is: do you think that if I buy an CTIA to OMPT adapter that will be able of reducing the static?

It will render the headset being very odd sounding.

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #2,223 of 3,824
Quote:
Thanks a lot Steve. Going to order mine.
However I don't use the stock music player, but PowerAMP, could you just try it with PowerAMP once?

'Swyped' from my GT-N7100

I manged to get around and installed the PowerAMP on the Note 2. The more I use it, the more I'm liking this app! It's a lot  more intuitive and easier to use than Bubble UPnP.

Anyway, the center button works better with PowerAMP. The music softly fades out when a call is received and fades in when the call is complete. A double click skips to the next song, while a triple click goes to the beginning.

Unfortunately, the MH1C's cable is driving me insane. Getting a good seal for the music to sound right instead of "thin" means shoving the drivers into my ears and making it painfully uncomfortable. I've experienced a number of "pops" when the cable got yanked out of the left ear and had to it take a break for the ear to recover.

I'm now considering giving up on IEM because of this bad experience and stick to full sized cans - this is a much safer option for me.

Steve

Apr 26, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #2,224 of 3,824
Try out noozxoide as well. Awesome sound modelling app that should work great with poweramp.

And if you want an iem that cost a bit more (ok, quite a bit more) than the mh1c, but will restore your faith in iems, look into the ath cks1000 :)

Apr 26, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #2,225 of 3,824
Quote:
Try out noozxoide as well. Awesome sound modelling app that should work great with poweramp.

And if you want an iem that cost a bit more (ok, quite a bit more) than the mh1c, but will restore your faith in iems, look into the ath cks1000 :)

Or he could just get the CKN70s :p

Apr 26, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #2,226 of 3,824
True. But don't they also have a somewhat irritating cable?

Apr 26, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #2,227 of 3,824
Quote:
True. But don't they also have a somewhat irritating cable?

The cable doesn't bother me at all. I like the J style, but it can be a bit coily at times. It's nothing compared to the MH1C cable. I doubt he is willing to spend the money on the CKS1000s if he isn't sure about IEMs. I got the CKN70s for $93 including shipping from Japan and Tenso.

Apr 26, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #2,229 of 3,824
Quote:
is there any high end universal with exact the same soundsignature as the mh1, with as much sub bass and smmoth rolled off highs, but with better detail and imaging?

I asked the same question in the past and many say try the Sony XBA3 or Sony XBA-30.  There is a sale on refurbished Sony XBA3i at Best Buy this week.  Check out the deals thread.

Apr 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #2,231 of 3,824
XBA-30 has the same smooth sound and signature, yes the bass quantity is less, but the mids on 30 are better IMO. The treble is very detailed, but no fatiguing at all and the cable is so much better. 
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #2,232 of 3,824
Hi guys!

So, I've been looking at this headset. Fact is, I registered solely for this thread! :)

Problem is, I have no idea what edition of the headset to buy - the MH1 (OMTP) or MH1C (CTIA).

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S Advance (i9070) - http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9070_galaxy_s_advance-4469.php

If I end up choosing the wrong edition, can I simply use an adapter to make the headset work with full compability (micbutton, volumebuttons etc.)?

Thanks!

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #2,234 of 3,824
Quote:
Why? Do you think my device is CTIA compliant?

Any ideas on how to block the Smartkey?

It doesn't matter if it is OMTP or CTIA in your case - it is working now, then adding a smart adapter will render it not working properly, as simple as that.

No, I don't know how to block the Smartkey. But I will guess it is probably a resistor inside. If you can take the remote apart, you can probably short it out if you know how to solder. However, I have never taken one apart so I am merely guessing here.

Apr 26, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #2,235 of 3,824
Quote:
is there any high end universal with exact the same soundsignature as the mh1, with as much sub bass and smmoth rolled off highs, but with better detail and imaging?

XB90EX?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back