Review: Sony MDR-7550
Oct 3, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #169 of 255
I love a chance to hear these, but I don't think I'd be willing to buy them outright without an audition. I already have an expensive pair of IEMs, so maybe if I see a good deal on a used pair.

Oct 3, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #171 of 255
  Lol. I didn't realize how flat these were.

It's not completely flat but 7550/ex800st is flat-ish among _single_ dynamic driver IEMs out there. 

I'm still debating to myself if I should upgrade to ex1000... but is the ex1000's treble really that bright (or in some cases... painful) according to current & formwer owners? 

But right now I'm real content with 7550's sound.  To me it sounds reference grade when I feed it CD or HD-rez modern/current  top-40 music.

Oct 3, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #172 of 255
Once an EX1000 owner long ago.
I didn't feel that the EX1000 was very bright overall. The main issue I think is the strong peak in the low treble, there are a couple of little peaks too, less problematic. The big peak drove me crazy, but I think I listen fairly loud.

For comparison, when I demoed the 7550, I didn't think it was that neutral. It sounded too dark, almost like someone had applied a general cut to the treble of the ex1k. There is still some relative rise in the lower treble, a resonance that throws off the tone.
The high treble extension of the EX1000 wasn't impressive, but the 7550 was disappointing.

Oct 4, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #173 of 255
I didn't feel that the EX1000 was very bright overall. The main issue I think is the strong peak in the low treble, there are a couple of little peaks too, less problematic. The big peak drove me crazy, but I think I listen fairly loud.

For comparison, when I demoed the 7550, I didn't think it was that neutral. It sounded too dark, almost like someone had applied a general cut to the treble of the ex1k. There is still some relative rise in the lower treble, a resonance that throws off the tone.
The high treble extension of the EX1000 wasn't impressive, but the 7550 was disappointing.

The music that's being churned out these days (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFQBv9gD-RU) MDR 7550 with some treble cut off is a god send. 

The sound profile of 7550 makes me think was intended as a monitor type IEM :
1. for vocals with some slight bump in mid-highs (typical of Sony monitor-tier headphones that started with the MDR V6/7506)to bring out well defined consonant sounds.
2. for dissecting bass notes 
3. for top-40 tier music.

Oct 25, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #176 of 255
How long do I need to burn them in

I'm not a big believer of burn-in, but 50hr seems reasonable.

I have ex800st and I agree with most of your opinions, but I don't think it is good at female vocal. 
I think this is the IEM make you enjoy your musics.

Of course. You do not have to agree with me. Vocals can be bit sharp and grainy.

Apr 6, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #178 of 255

Is there a way to eq the Treble spike that you are referring to? It's making my ears ring

Users who are viewing this thread

Back