Review: Sony MDR-7550
Dec 29, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #107 of 255
  has anyone here tried Monster Supertip foam/gel with 7550?

just looking for eartips that can seal real good so I can listen at much lower volume

The problem s the EX line is not meant to give you superb isolation. In that regards its mediocre at best. You might want to look into other IEMs if isolation is a must (etymotic, etc).

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #108 of 255

The problem s the EX line is not meant to give you superb isolation. In that regards its mediocre at best. You might want to look into other IEMs if isolation is a must (etymotic, etc).

I could live with just-ok isolation (want to know what's going on around me...)

My issue is the stock tips gets slippery and lose seal in just under an hour.

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #110 of 255
  I feel that way to. I had comply foam, and they seemed to work the best. Try the foam tips.

i might just try the foam tips after reading this review

Positive review, however - in order to get proper flat signal response and correct bass response, the supplied tips do not give a good enough seal. I replaced the stock tips with the Comply TX-200 filtered tips (sizing between the Sony tips is the same as the Comply sizing), and that made the difference. This review is based on that "modification". 

I am a former recording engineer, full time producer, musician and DJ. I have been a big fan of the Sony MDR-7506, MDR-7509, and MDR-7509HD. All of my experiences have been positive with the above products: the signal response is flat, with a little roll off on the low end, but it was consistent, so it could be learned (for mixing and critical listening). The units above were incredibly robust, and I am not ashamed to say I've been incredibly tough on my equipment (in and out of luggage, dropped, neglected, smokey environments, etc.). Also, these are the only cans, except for the AKG K240s (which do not travel well), that could be worn for hours upon hours.

Because of my experience, and because I needed an IEM that could flatly reproduce audio materials and give me the same kind of experience as my other Sony headphones, I bought these.

I'm not disappointed.

Very flat response. Comfortable fit, but I think the nature of IEMs is that they won't be as comfortable as an over the ear studio phone (I can literally forget that the MDR 7509HDs are on my head when I'm in an air conditioned environment) over time. However, portability makes up for the difference.

I would not be afraid to do preliminary audio mixes in these IEMs, or do revision mixes done on Near-fields.

I recommend these if you are looking for something that can give you solid, consistent performance, but at a lower price tag than a custom molded IEM.

Why not five stars: I've worn more comfortable IEMs (consumer grade), and when you have a solid seal, the tips can be irritating after a couple of hours. Also, the stock tips are not usable for flat response (would be fine for casual use, or instances where you need to quickly pull them in and out).

Good luck!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=758137&is=REG&si=rev#costumerReview

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #113 of 255
i'm thinking of picking these up.  Still torn between these and the XBA-Hx series.  I like the style of the 7550s though.  One question I have is that hopefully someone can answer, I know that these have a vent port, but I was wondering does the sound leak from this vent?  I know the vent opens up the isolation andI can live with that, sound leakage is more what I'm concerned about.  Thanks in advance!

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #114 of 255
  i'm thinking of picking these up.  Still torn between these and the XBA-Hx series.  I like the style of the 7550s though.  One question I have is that hopefully someone can answer, I know that these have a vent port, but I was wondering does the sound leak from this vent?  I know the vent opens up the isolation andI can live with that, sound leakage is more what I'm concerned about.  Thanks in advance!

More sound comes in (little isolation from outside noise) than goes out.  I don't think you will disturb anyone, if that is what you are worried about.

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #117 of 255
Hey all,

Great thread!  It's partly the reason I picked up a pair a couple of months ago and, I have to say, haven't been disappointed in the least!  Love the sound stage(best I've heard in an iem) and bass.  Good detail and clairty, but not fatiguing in the least.  Comfortable enough that I can wear them for hours at a time.  Anyway, thanks for all the info and initial review.

Quote:

yup that's exactly what I was worried about.  I wanted to use these for my on the go listening that include some very quiet places.  thanks!

I was also worried about leakage, but I work in close proximity to my coworkers and haven't bothered anybody in the least.  Isolation on the other hand is probably below average if you are trying to keep noise out, but it's nice to be able to pause my music and talk to someone rather than pull out my earphone every time.

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #118 of 255
awesome! thanks for a replies all.  i placed an order for these already and can't wait for them to get here. 
etysmile.gif

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #119 of 255
Currently, I'm using t peos gel tip, but foam is great. I use to use comply with the 7550. I just prefer silcon over foam.

+1 on the Comply foam tips.  Very comfortable and keeps the earphones in place for long listening sessions.  I had both the s-200 and tx-400s, I preferred the Tx.  I purchased these from a member second hand, he sent along a set of the hifiman silicon tips that came with the re-400.  They are also an improvement over the stock Sony tips for me.......the sony hybrids with the foam are my favorite stock tips.

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #120 of 255
I think I read it somewhere, or it could be just my imagination, I've read so many posts they are all starting to look the same...
blink.gif
  but can the 7550 cable be interchanged with the ex1000 cable?  I've tried to see if I could tell from the pictures, but I can't tell.  I've read some posts that say the stock cable is on the thin side while the ex1000 is a bit thicker.  Also to keep on discussion, I ordered some complys for my 7550s that get here tomorrow.
bigsmile_face.gif
  I could never get a good seal with the silicone tips, so comply for me. However I am a bit interested in those stock sony foam tips that i've heard about...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back