Review: Sennheiser IE 800 earphones
Aug 28, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #16 of 46
I really want to try the ALO modified(more like buy it) but in Korea where I live the modified one is about $1600 which seems like too much for me since you can get a IE800 for about 700 bucks here. If I like the IE800 unbalanced a lot after trying it out at a place I know, I will look at getting the ALO version.

If you can save up for them, it may be worth it but if not the regular pair are awesome as well....I say this because I still want them or would like to have them just to not only hear them but to be able to go between balanced and standard....☺️With just a lower end cable swap....

Aug 28, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #17 of 46
yes the sound quality is great. Other than that this IEM has way too many shortcomings for its price
which were hardly mentioned.
This review feels more like an advertisment. Welcome to head-fi...

Aug 28, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #18 of 46
yes the sound quality is great. Other than that this IEM has way too many shortcomings for its price
which were hardly mentioned.
This review feels more like an advertisment. Welcome to head-fi...

Yes there's been some issues as there are sometimes when people try new advancements or bring new ideas to be...yes they could've made detachable cables or no they don't fit everyone's ears, but isn't this true with a lot of products? Nothing works for everyone if they were they'd be customs...some people complain about the highs which are I find nice as other people too...as stated some say there's some sibilance...this varies from person to person too many times it's graphs, charts, ect...yes there's a science but there's also sound ...music ....emotion and how this all comes together to make people "☺️" it's been said over and over "in this price range in this price range" which means what? It means you have ceramic modular housings extra small dynamic driver, small lite housing that if it fits basically vanishes and what is left is what should be which is the music....some "audiophiles" or rather music lovers :relieved: much better word prefer modern small travel and mobile solutions that also bring sound excellence to the table without having the clutter, bulk & multi devices some associate with great sound...some prefer clean, clutter free great sounding solutions....:notes:

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #19 of 46
Has anyone out there done a comparison between this and the single dynamic driver DITA The Answer or Truth ?

If so, how do they stack up and what are the differences ?

Aug 29, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #20 of 46
How do they compare to the Sony EX1000?

Aug 29, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #22 of 46
I recently lost my SE535 universal IEM's, went looking for a replacement, and while my primary focus area was the SE846 I also spent a couple hours A/B'ing SE846 and IE800:

I must say the IE800 really impressed me, and if sound was my only concern I probably would have gotten one, however I need the added isolation, which in my opinion Shure does exceptionally well with both the SE535 and SE846, and I prefer the "around and over" cable.

I wish I had the chance to compare the IE800 to my fullsize cans (HD800, SR009), like OICWUTUDIDTHAR mentioned, I also found they sounded less like an IEM and more like a regular headset.

Aug 29, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #23 of 46
Dear frix,

We all know that there is no such thing as a perfect set of earphones. No matter how good a set sounds, and IE 800 is outstanding in that department, it also has its shortcomings; IE 800 is not an exception to that rule:
- Some listeners might get, at times, an impression of a tone inclined towards the low end of the spectrum, so a kind of a tone imbalance; but again, is there something like perfect balance, and who defines that?
-  The cable is not removable (and thus replaceable) near the eartips, which for some listeners would be the preferred choice.
- The cable presents some noticeable microphonic noise.
These are the shortcomings that I have noticed. Other listeners might find a few more or some different ones.

One common complain, for almost all earphone models, is problems with fit and/or isolation. We all should keep in mind that each and every one of us has a custom ear canal, so, if one wants a perfect fit and isolation, he should get a custom-fit set.

And of course, one could always complain about a number of other things, but no earphone maker can satisfy all listeners in every respect.

Good luck in finding a set that, overall, satisfies you better than IE 800.  

Aug 29, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #24 of 46
^^ What really irks me though is that most of the flaws with the design choice should not have happened in the first place. I am honestly baffled about the decision to go with a fixed cable, something they have got so right with the IE8/80 (in fact the near-perfect cable design of the 80's is one of the main reasons I still have a pair around). 

Aug 30, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #25 of 46
^^ What really irks me though is that most of the flaws with the design choice should not have happened in the first place. I am honestly baffled about the decision to go with a fixed cable, something they have got so right with the IE8/80 (in fact the near-perfect cable design of the 80's is one of the main reasons I still have a pair around). 

The design is a great design different in every way and a very good direction to go in IEMs are getting too large it's a modern era a new day people want to pop them in your ears and forget about it just enjoy the music no you can't see the guts but the cut away looks great, great design ......yes :pensive: the cable I wish they could've found a way to make it detachable maybe a new connector because it needed to be small that's the reason they went fixed "weight" they are lite and any increase in weight would've been felt in the wrong way.....this is one they couldn't win if they chose a small priority connector for detachable cable then people would've cried ohhh no :persevere: until cable makers were able to get them....so I think they chose the lesser evil....

Aug 30, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #26 of 46
This makes two high end universals I know of with lousy microphonics due to cable selection decisions made during development. The other is the Shure SE846. I wish minimizing microphonics would become a high priority for all IEM design teams. Microphonic noise abrogates the goal of pristine audio reproduction.

Aug 30, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #27 of 46
This makes two high end universals I know of with lousy microphonics due to cable selection decisions made during development. The other is the Shure SE846. I wish minimizing microphonics would become a high priority for all IEM design teams. Microphonic noise abrogates the goal of pristine audio reproduction.

How the hell do you get microphonics with SE846?

Aug 30, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #28 of 46

How is that so ....hmmm yeah what he said :yum: how the "L" ? I own those and I don't see how they're fine IEMs too I've never had an issue with cables even though soon after I got them I got new cables from ALO but that was for the 2.5 balanced .....the micro phonics isn't that bad in my 800s I don't really notice it unless no music was playing yes I would suppose so but I don't have them in my ears without music they're usually above and behind my ears and out of the way that's another reason I love their size :wink:

Aug 30, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #29 of 46

Don't know what SE 846's you have but I have them and they do not have microphonics issues. If you search the HUNDREDS of posts on these, there is no mention of microphonics issues.

Aug 30, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #30 of 46
Don't know what SE 846's you have but I have them and they do not have microphonics issues. If you search the HUNDREDS of posts on these, there is no mention of microphonics issues.

Same cable on the SE535, no issues with those either. In fact that was one of the main reasons why I chose the Shures in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back