Review: Resonessence Labs Invicta - new high end DAC/amp/playback system
Mar 12, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #781 of 911
Originally Posted by project86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Interesting, I've disliked every Zodiac headphone output I've heard (which includes most but not all of them). Very artificial sounding to my ears. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I dont agree with the term "artificial" sound at all with the built in amp of Zodiac Platinum (I haven't heard the Gold and the + tho). But I do obtained a huge improvement regarding SQ after I connect the Zodiac to my Taurus MK2 by balance out to my Ether. The analog section of the Zodiac Platinum just awesome. I wish I could have a chance to compare it with the Invicta Mirus' balance out. 

Mar 12, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #782 of 911

I dont agree with the term "artificial" sound at all with the built in amp of Zodiac Platinum (I haven't heard the Gold and the + tho). But I do obtained a huge improvement regarding SQ after I connect the Zodiac to my Taurus MK2 by balance out to my Ether. The analog section of the Zodiac Platinum just awesome. I wish I could have a chance to compare it with the Invicta Mirus' balance out. 

Agree to disagree about the headphone out, but I'm with you on the line-out portion.... Zodiac Platinum is a damn fine source.

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #783 of 911
Update - for those who always wanted to experience the Resonessence Invicta but found the price too steep.... Resonessence Labs is launching the new Veritas DAC. Here's their page for it.

Pre-orders available now, ships in 4-5 weeks. Cost is $2850 and it comes in gold, silver, or black. Appears smaller than Invicta but larger than the Concero line. Has all the usual suspects in terms of inputs and capabilities (balanced out, DSD, etc).

The major news is that Veritas is the first DAC on the market to use the new ES9028PRO which is the next gen ESS Sabre DAC. Resonessence got their hands on a batch before anyone else!

Invicta owners will have a chance to upgrade to the 9028PRO down the line, once the chips become more available. This will obviously involve shipping your unit back to home base in Canada. I don't have pricing info at this time, and I suppose it will vary based on which Invicta version you have and whether it will get 1 or 2 of the new chips. This assumes the ES9016 in the headphone stage of the first edition is not able to be swapped out.... but I'm really not sure.

Anyway, this "in between" model is something people have been asking for since the Concero line first came out. So we'll see how close it come to the top dog Invicta.

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #784 of 911
Wow! Please get your hands on one, John, and let us know how it sounds. And if/when you upgrade your Mirus to the new chips, let us know too!

I was debating on whether to upgrade my DA8 or my PC, but I guess it's the PC first until the new generation of DACs stabilises.

Jun 5, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #787 of 911
The new Veritas looks fantastic, and with the new ESS Sabre ES9028PRO it can only sound amazing as well. 
I am thinking about upgrading from my Concero HD.
I like the form factor of the HD, and I hope the new Veritas is still small enough to fit on top of my Marantz Model 7 tube preamp:

Sep 26, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #790 of 911
Looks like the Veritas has finally been released. The complete Resonessence labs website has been revamped also.
I was waiting for the Veritas to upgrade from my Concero HD but finally decided on a Lampizator Atlantic...

Sep 27, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #791 of 911
Would love to hear the Veritas or Mirus PRO in that regard. But for now i have to settle with my Concero HD which is also fine.
It seems they are working on a new Concero Beta update, i'm curious.

Sep 27, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #793 of 911
Veritas is actually in the price range of Yggy rather than Gumby.

Funny that R2R is all the rage now. Schitt seems to be throwing out extra bits which is the complete opposite of Resonessence which claims 32 bit resolution. Of course, 32 bits in a ladder DAC is not possible in monolythic form today (Yggy is "just" 21 bits) and a discrete resistor array would be very complex indeed.

I am surprised older ladder DACs haven't climbed up in price. I really liked my old EAD DSP-7000 III which used BB PCM63 chips which I believe is Mike Moffat's favorite...

Sep 27, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #794 of 911
To me without getting to the technical bits and just based on how things sound and fit in my equipment.

Based on trying their entry level dacs.

I really like the sound of resonessence dac, because of the tonal richness and detail it brings throughout the spectrum. Its like you hear everything, not just details but how an instrument should sound after you hit a note, and how it slowly decays. It does this very well in the bass department, it just makes insturments come alive. This presentation goes very well with tube amps where you can adjust how things sound by rolling tubes.

In the Schitt camp, you get to hear something to a big space, very dynamic between the highs and lows. A lot of people talk about how detail this dac is, but the detail they are referring to is a spacial. Unless you are a classical junky who really cares where every instrument is placed, in other music I doubt the need for this. The instruments sound natural but much more gentle. It probably pairs well without solid state amps.

I want to try the gumby mb because the price is so cheap at $1250, it is hard to not give it a chance, since the alternative is $2850. The people who are on the Schitt forums believe the gumby mb is close enough and some perfer the gumby mb over the yggy. But even when the yggy vs the veritas,there are a lot of happy customers with the yggy crowd much more then the resonessence.

Sep 28, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #795 of 911
  Upgrade your MIRUS to MIRUS PRO.

http://www.resonessencelabs.com/upgrade-mirus-mirus-pro/

$1000.00 Plus you pay shipping both ways. I plan to upgrade, but it is just a matter of when. I want to read some reviews also, that would help. Has anyone heard any reviews of this new chip(ESS9028PRO)?

My experience with the upgraded Mirus Pro is very positive indeed. Not sure if it is the chip in general or the digital filters (which I believe are either tweaked or totally new). Or maybe a combo of both? Whatever the case, the Mirus Pro is spectacular..... more to come soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back