Review: Resonessence Labs Invicta - new high end DAC/amp/playback system
Jun 29, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #841 of 911
Not sure but I bet if you asked Resonessence that question they would tell you.

Just contacted Mark at Resonessence -- he said not to worry about differences between the 2 firmware versions (basically they're the same). This is good news for anyone who currently has an earlier version of the Mirus Pro. Mark said that the website would have a separate section for Invicta/Mirus Pro firmware or software updates at some point when they're needed. More importantly he emphasized that anyone with a Invicta or Mirus Pro dac should NOT install the software updates currently on their website since they are specifically intended for units with the earlier ESS9018 dac chip.

Jul 3, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #842 of 911
I have other dac's but right now, the Mirus is sounding so good that's all I have been listening to for awhile now.

This.

I just sent back a DAC costing just shy of $12k. They wanted a review, I thought is was pretty good but couldn't match the Mirus Pro (which is basically half price, and with more features too). This thing was beautiful and huge and imposing but I mainly care about sound, and I'm not sure I could do a review without it turning into a Mirus appreciation article. Didn't want to do that to this company so I declined.

This happens more often than you guys know. The world of expensive DACs is often pretty disappointing. But I guess if you hadn't heard something with massive SQ per dollar like the Mirus Pro, or Veritas, or BMC UltraDAC, or even PS Audio DS Junior etc, you wouldn't really know better.

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #843 of 911
My Mirus Pro arrived today. 7.0.1d firmware version.

I'm in the club boys!!! :beerchug:

Jul 9, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #845 of 911
Congrats! Feel free to post your impressions when you have had enough time to get a feel for the dac.

I'm a big fan of HQPlayer but the I'm finding the Mirus Pro really performs well with Roon's DSD7 CLANS modulator. This sure simplifies my implementation.

Jul 9, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #847 of 911
I'm a big fan of HQPlayer but the I'm finding the Mirus Pro really performs well with Roon's DSD7 CLANS modulator. This sure simplifies my implementation.

I also use the same setting in Roon, at the recommendation of several friends. Honestly I haven't gone back and forth with the other options to see which one I like best... my friends already did that and chose this one, I'm too lazy to mess around just to confirm their opinion. All I know is that this one sounds great to me!

Jul 9, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #848 of 911
I also use the same setting in Roon, at the recommendation of several friends. Honestly I haven't gone back and forth with the other options to see which one I like best... my friends already did that and chose this one, I'm too lazy to mess around just to confirm their opinion. All I know is that this one sounds great to me!

I'm using the linear phase smooth filter with my wilson speaker. I assume minimum phase would be nice with cans.

Just make sure to leave some headroom for intersample clipping. I upconvert everything including dsd64 to dsd128 so I just use the SDM gain adjustment under the modulator setting. -4db handles my hottest content. Headroom management would also work.

On another subject, what do you guys set your fixed level voltage to? I'm using -1.5db to put it as close as possible to the magic 4v for balanced. Thoughts?

Jul 22, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #849 of 911
On another subject, what do you guys set your fixed level voltage to? I'm using -1.5db to put it as close as possible to the magic 4v for balanced. Thoughts?

No thought on this from Mirus owners? Is everyone just running at 4.8v balanced?

Jul 22, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #850 of 911
No thought on this from Mirus owners? Is everyone just running at 4.8v balanced?

I don't think there is anything "magic" about setting the fixed voltage at the maximum XLR level. What level to set it depends on the input sensitivity and gain of your amp, and also how sensitive your headphones are. Many consumer amps have input sensitivities of around 2.0v, thus Resonessence recommends setting the fixed XLR level at about -8db, which gives you close to the 2.0v output. It's probably a good level to start with, since you don't want to drive your amp into the distortion range. Having said that, many high quality HP amps are certainly capable of being driven without distortion at higher voltages, and you could try using a higher output voltage to see how it sounds. Unfortunately it's not easy to get information about an amps input sensitivity from a company's website, although I'm sure they could provide this if you ask. In my own situation, I decided to set the Mirus XLR output to ~2v (-8db) for my GS-X MkII driving the Focal Utopia. I also set the gain on the amp to the lowest level. However, even with these settings for the highly sensitive Utopia, I found that I could get even finer volume control with the DACT attenuator with the fixed level set to 1.0v (-13.5db). If you don't have adjustable gain on your amp and are using sensitive headphones, then your only option is to vary the fixed output of the Mirus to achieve the desired volume settings. According to the Mirus FAQs on their website, you are not affecting SQ until either fixed or variable output levels are reduced to around -48db (which is really quite low). So for practical purposes, you should hear no difference between an output level set at 4.8v (0db) or reduced to 2.0v (-8db) or 1.0 v (-13.5db). On the other hand, you could adversely affect SQ if the output is set too high for your amp.

Jul 22, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #852 of 911
I'm already doing -4db headroom in the digital domain prior when upsampling to dsd128 so after thinking about it I've just set it back to 0db/4.8v. Add in that the mirus doesn't seems to do a 6db boost with dsd, it's already down 10db.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back