REVIEW: Ray Samuels Audio SR-71B balanced portable headphone amp
Sep 23, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #166 of 226
After several weeks into using the device I think it's time for a follow-up. The initial amp I received that I had detected some timing issues with became much worse the following day. It developed quite a bit of static and had volume adjustment issues. I worked with Ray on it, who was prompt and quick, and a bad capacitor was to blame. Since then, I've had it back for several weeks and it's been great to listen to. Sometimes little problems will pop up, but I'll reset the rig and things will be fine again. I can't directly fault the 71-B in these instances, because honestly it could be anything, including my going on 3 year old occasionally temperamental iphone. That will be replaced soon, but that's a whole other story.

I've used the 71B+HP-P1 rig now in car audio and a few home theater systems and it has been great for all of that. In fact, it has sounded significantly better than the other sources in most of these rigs based on my experience, but these were not high-end systems to begin with. I'm away from home now, but when I get back I'll have time to get my IEM cables re-terminated for balanced and try it out.

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #167 of 226
Question- I have the Intruder that is about 1 week old. Is it basically the same as the 71B minus the dac? If so, I can say that it sounds amazing with my Shure SE846 and Audeze LCD 2.2. I mainly use my Audeze with my Woo Audio WA6-SE but I had to try it out. Also, I am using Ted Allen's balanced silver cables. Great Job Ray!

If it is different, please disregard.

Sep 25, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #168 of 226
Question- I have the Intruder that is about 1 week old. Is it basically the same as the 71B minus the dac? If so, I can say that it sounds amazing with my Shure SE846 and Audeze LCD 2.2. I mainly use my Audeze with my Woo Audio WA6-SE but I had to try it out. Also, I am using Ted Allen's balanced silver cables. Great Job Ray!

If it is different, please disregard.

it has been said i believe by ray himself that the 71-b is just the same as the intruder but no dac, you can upgrade the 71b to the intruder spec gains. 

Sep 27, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #169 of 226

it has been said i believe by ray himself that the 71-b is just the same as the intruder but no dac, you can upgrade the 71b to the intruder spec gains. 

Maybe I'm mistaken on this, but I thought that the 71-B did not have a DAC. The website doesn't mention it at all.
confused.gif

Sep 27, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #170 of 226
  Maybe I'm mistaken on this, but I thought that the 71-B did not have a DAC. The website doesn't mention it at all.
confused.gif

right, the sr-71b has no dac, its just basicly the same amp section like the intruder, you can send off your 71b to ray and you can get the gains of the intruder, hi gain being +21, you dont gain the dac obviously

Sep 27, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #171 of 226
I was just on a trip and it was the first time I have taken my RSA with me.  It was funny watching people try to figure out what the hell was underneath my iphone...and why my headphones had a funny connector.  After a few minutes of curiosity from folks, I dropped the pair in my pocket and blended in again lol.  Anyone ever travel with their RSA?  Similar experience?

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #172 of 226

right, the sr-71b has no dac, its just basicly the same amp section like the intruder, you can send off your 71b to ray and you can get the gains of the intruder, hi gain being +21, you dont gain the dac obviously

According to some emails I exchange with Ray if you bought your SR-71B recently it will contain the gain upgrade already. Also still according to him, the SR-71B and Intruder "are very close & it is hard to tell which is which".
So the sound signature might be very slightly different.

Oct 3, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #173 of 226
According to some emails I exchange with Ray if you bought your SR-71B recently it will contain the gain upgrade already. Also still according to him, the SR-71B and Intruder "are very close & it is hard to tell which is which".
So the sound signature might be very slightly different.

Yeah I bought my 71 used off here and the previous owner sent it in for the upgrade.

Thats cool to hear that there isnt any huge significant differences between the 2 amps. I personally like the 71 because I use my own dac so I just need a amp so paying a premium for something im not going to use doesbt make sense to me thats just me though.

Im really surprised how much my opinion has changed.about the 71b once I went from se to be toxic silver poison cables...I havent used my ibasso pb2 at all. The 71b is just a phenomenal amp

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #174 of 226
Yeah I bought my 71 used off here and the previous owner sent it in for the upgrade.

Thats cool to hear that there isnt any huge significant differences between the 2 amps. I personally like the 71 because I use my own dac so I just need a amp so paying a premium for something im not going to use doesbt make sense to me thats just me though.

Im really surprised how much my opinion has changed.about the 71b once I went from se to be toxic silver poison cables...I havent used my ibasso pb2 at all. The 71b is just a phenomenal amp

How would you describe the change Mooses9? Am also interested in that amp.

Oct 15, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #175 of 226
I personally own both. I like the 71b more than the intruder. 71b's sound is more warm than the intruder but the intruder is more detailed in every aspect. The sound is thicker as well. Just depends on what you like. I can completely tell which one is 71b and intruder when I listen to them.

Oct 16, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #178 of 226
I recall Ray saying something about the SR-71b is a quad mono amp, and Intruder uses fewer chips and is a dual stereo amp. For what I use the amp for, Ray thought staying with the SR-71b was a better choice. I mostly use it as a desktop amp with full size balanced headphones, with a desktop DAC.

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #179 of 226
  Have you compared SE versus balanced output?

yes i have tested sing ended. i am using the toxic cable silver poison and it was 3.5mm single ended, i gave it a good listen, sent off the cable to be reterminated to rsa balanced.

in my opinion between the 2 i was completely blown away from balanced in and out... the setup goes:

Westone W4/r Shure Se535 Bronze
Iriver IHP-140
Sys-concepts custom cable
Toxic Cable Silver Poison Balanced Cable
RSA SR-71B Amp
Ibasso db2 DAC
RSA male to Hirose Male Toxic Cable Interconnect

On first impression i felt the soundstage to be wider, i felt the imaging to be pitch black no floor noise or nothing.....people make a big stink when you say what you think the benifits of going balanced are..so take it with a grain of salt. 

I recall Ray saying something about the SR-71b is a quad mono amp, and Intruder uses fewer chips and is a dual stereo amp. For what I use the amp for, Ray thought staying with the SR-71b was a better choice. I mostly use it as a desktop amp with full size balanced headphones, with a desktop DAC.

hmmm interesting.when looking at the price differences, its hard to bewlieve the intruder could be so much greater than the 71b as its only 50.00 more than the 71b.

Oct 16, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #180 of 226
hmmm interesting.when looking at the price differences, its hard to bewlieve the intruder could be so much greater than the 71b as its only 50.00 more than the 71b.

I got the distinct impression that Ray thought the SR-71B (amp section) was a little more advanced than the Intruder (amp section).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back