Review: Questyle CMA800 Current Mode Amplifier
Jan 14, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #16 of 74
Hi John,

I couldn't help but notice the CMA600 on the updated questyle website.It could be a current mode amp with an easier price (at least for me). It looks very interesting with interchangeable modules for different headphones. Unfortunately the website doesn't really mention how the modules are different. Do you have any more information about this model? 

http://www.questyleaudio.com/en/plus/view.php?aid=274

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #17 of 74
  Hi John,

I couldn't help but notice the CMA600 on the updated questyle website.It could be a current mode amp with an easier price (at least for me). It looks very interesting with interchangeable modules for different headphones. Unfortunately the website doesn't really mention how the modules are different. Do you have any more information about this model? 

http://www.questyleaudio.com/en/plus/view.php?aid=274

I don't know much about it, sorry. My contact at Questyle tells me they really want to focus on promoting their CAS192 DAC, CMA800R amp, and then the Q192 all in one unit. That leaves the CMA600 and CAS192-mini with not much prospect of upcoming reviews. I know for a fact that Audio Head and Audio360 are working on getting review units, but it will be one or more of those I mentioned above. 

The CMA600 may well be a fantastic amp for the price, but I really don't know much else about it. Sorry. 

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #19 of 74
I didnt know what to expect when buying this amp. Paired with the hd650 and Yulong DA8 it is the best sound i have heard to date (besides my 2.1 system). I am usually a tube guy, but have been sticking with SS for my headphones. A really balanced sound, with all pieces playing their part. A touch of warmth and nice level of detail.

Jan 20, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #20 of 74
I didnt know what to expect when buying this amp. Paired with the hd650 and Yulong DA8 it is the best sound i have heard to date (besides my 2.1 system). I am usually a tube guy, but have been sticking with SS for my headphones. A really balanced sound, with all pieces playing their part. A touch of warmth and nice level of detail.

Glad you like it!

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #22 of 74
  I think Srajan is done with his review of CMA800R now...

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/questyle/1.html

Wait, is it Questsound, or a Soundquest, or Questyle? He might pay more attention to the obvious if we are expected to trust his opinion on minute sonic details. 

Not that I completely disagree with his assessment, as far as I can make it out. 

Jan 27, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #23 of 74

Wait, is it Questsound, or a Soundquest, or Questyle? He might pay more attention to the obvious if we are expected to trust his opinion on minute sonic details. 

Not that I completely disagree with his assessment, as far as I can make it out. 

I gather this is his way of making puns. It seems at times he is on some rare and magnificent drug that ordinary people know nothing about. I laughed out loud when I saw the picture of the CMA800R with the vase on it

From what I can make out of his review I think I generally agree as well. I can also feel a little bit of his allegory, such as when he says the sound is like being bathed in white light. This is how I feel sometimes when I hear the clarity of the CMA800R. 

And if you don't want to read it all his last paragraph pretty much covers it.

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #24 of 74

I gather this is his way of making puns. It seems at times he is on some rare and magnificent drug that ordinary people know nothing about. I laughed out loud when I saw the picture of the CMA800R with the vase on it

From what I can make out of his review I think I generally agree as well. I can also feel a little bit of his allegory, such as when he says the sound is like being bathed in white light. This is how I feel sometimes when I hear the clarity of the CMA800R. 

And if you don't want to read it all his last paragraph pretty much covers it.

Agreed. And yes, he's a colorful character for sure.

I sometimes think his opinions are highly dependent upon the similar gear he has in for review at the time. If he didn't have that Crayon amp - which, let's face it, is pretty irrelevant for most people due to price and availability - would the CMA800R receive the same criticism? 

Feb 2, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #25 of 74

Agreed. And yes, he's a colorful character for sure.

I sometimes think his opinions are highly dependent upon the similar gear he has in for review at the time. If he didn't have that Crayon amp - which, let's face it, is pretty irrelevant for most people due to price and availability - would the CMA800R receive the same criticism? 

He did say that the much more easily available bakoon integrated amp was better too.  I like the fact that he compares to as much equipment he has at hand and I think the most important fact is that he remembers his exact pecking order with every review. Perhaps he can do that in less words.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of reviewers who write reviews proclaiming great products every week. There are no comparisons to be seen even with products reviewed the previous week. I find that really sad. I can understand that a reviewer can be selective about products and only review the good ones, however, not having a preference or not stating it is unprofessional (in my opinion).

Anyway all this to say I enjoy Srajan's style....its intense and convoluted but never boring. However, John is still No.1 in my book (obligatory motivation tool
tongue.gif
).

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #26 of 74
Credit where credit is due - I also very much appreciate how Srajan compares the item under review to various competitors. As you said, many reviewers do each product in a vacuum. That leaves us with no context as to where it falls among its peers. I realize that we rarely have all the best competitors on hand... but without at least some type of comparison, the reader is left with no idea where the product stands. 

Feb 3, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #27 of 74

He did say that the much more easily available bakoon integrated amp was better too.  I like the fact that he compares to as much equipment he has at hand and I think the most important fact is that he remembers his exact pecking order with every review. Perhaps he can do that in less words.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of reviewers who write reviews proclaiming great products every week. There are no comparisons to be seen even with products reviewed the previous week. I find that really sad. I can understand that a reviewer can be selective about products and only review the good ones, however, not having a preference or not stating it is unprofessional (in my opinion).

Anyway all this to say I enjoy Srajan's style....its intense and convoluted but never boring. However, John is still No.1 in my book (obligatory motivation tool
tongue.gif
).

Brownie Points!!!!! :wink: 

Feb 13, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #28 of 74
I just purchased the CMA800R, looking forward to its arrival =)  I'm curious though since it's described as being more airy, what are the most lush/thick sounding solid state amps?  Can a thick/lush sounding solid state amp compete with it's tube counterpart?

Feb 14, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #29 of 74
  I just purchased the CMA800R, looking forward to its arrival =)  I'm curious though since it's described as being more airy, what are the most lush/thick sounding solid state amps?  Can a thick/lush sounding solid state amp compete with it's tube counterpart?

Violectric V200 is often described as being on the thicker, warmer side. Yulong Sabre A18 goes even farther than that. I enjoy both, especially when given the right music/headphones/DAC. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back