Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Jan 16, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #811 of 7,140
  Has any one used the optical out with any DAC?  

Not extensively.  I've tried it once or twice with the Hugo, but found it redundant.  The reason I like the QP so much is that I don't have to use the Hugo to get good sound except maybe with the LCD-Xs.  The X5 needed the Hugo, but in my opinion, the QP doesn't.
I might try again later today with a classical piece I have in mind, and will report back if you like.

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #812 of 7,140
Anyone get to listen with either the JH Audio Angie or Rosie?

I'm thinking of upgrading a bit from Westone um pro 50 ... I'm sure sound will be better just want to know about fit and comfort on the universals mentioned above

I find the Angies comfortable and clear and crisp with the QP. 
Oh, while I'm here Moe, would you have time to look at Questyle's new gold reference DACs and amps?  Just curious.

Jan 17, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #813 of 7,140
Not extensively.  I've tried it once or twice with the Hugo, but found it redundant.  The reason I like the QP so much is that I don't have to use the Hugo to get good sound except maybe with the LCD-Xs.  The X5 needed the Hugo, but in my opinion, the QP doesn't.
I might try again later today with a classical piece I have in mind, and will report back if you like.
I prefer the Qp1R solo with less power hungry cans and IEMs and paired with the HiFiMaN EF6 with hard to drive headphones.

But just to check I wanted to see how it's DAC Out, performs, but it didn't work with the DR Dac DX2.

Will be trying to pair it with the Resonessence Labs Concero HP(when it arrives) and see if it works.

And please post your impressions with a DAC.

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #814 of 7,140
  Anyone had any experience with FLC Technology's FLC8S earphones? <Universal hybrid balance armature and dynamic .. they can be tuned>

yes. i love the ability to tune them to my preferred signature, and they're great paired with the qp1r.  not much isolation with the supplied tips.  comply 400 series tips work well if you want more isolation.

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #815 of 7,140
I suspect it will be worse with almost any DAC. I quite like the Mojo with an AK100/120 but the QP1r is clearly better line out then when adding the Mojo tos out. The internal dac/line circuit seems very well done and you don't have to deal with the clock recovery and jitter involved with SPdf. If they're close in performance the inboard DAC is at an advantage and in this case seems to be show it.

Jan 20, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #817 of 7,140
If you aren't able to get it working fully, Questyle's Bruce has been very receptive to repair/replacement. Looking forward to finding out how everything turns out.

Finally got my replacement QP1R. This one works and plays all files (the first one would only play DSD). It came with fw 1.04 and I haven't had any crashes so far.

The wheel on the new one is much better also. The first one was essentially unusable, this one actually turns. Sonic impressions to follow...

Jan 20, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #818 of 7,140

Finally got my replacement QP1R. This one works and plays all files (the first one would only play DSD). It came with fw 1.04 and I haven't had any crashes so far.

The wheel on the new one is much better also. The first one was essentially unusable, this one actually turns. Sonic impressions to follow...

Good to hear your replacement QP1R is much better. The scroll wheel on mine is just as you described for your first one, essentially unusable. So I'm particularly happy to hear that there is variation toward the better. You've just convinced me to get a replacement for mine as well!

Jan 20, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #819 of 7,140

Any idea what they did to the scroll wheel? with different surface finishing for better grip?

Jan 20, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #820 of 7,140
  Has any one used the optical out with any DAC?  

I used optical out with the m9XX (my thoughts regarding the combination is in the review).

Hi Moedawg. If possible, pairing a QP1R with Mojo alongside iPhone and Mojo would also be interesting, with 2 opposing views on whether there are detectable differences. Changed connection I know, but I feel this is a minor consideration in the scheme of things.

I'll definitely look into it.  I have personally found differences sonically with regards to different music playback applications within my iPhones.  I'll be exhibiting during NAMM this week, so maybe I can find a person with a Mojo and perform some critical comparisons.

Oh and include the Chord Hugo. Thanks so much!

More than likely that will have to wait until CanJam Singapore, but I'll add it in for sure.  I'll be connecting the Hugo to my iPhone 6, for reference.

I find the Angies comfortable and clear and crisp with the QP. 
Oh, while I'm here Moe, would you have time to look at Questyle's new gold reference DACs and amps?  Just curious.

I'll definitely get a listen. @bSquared64 (Bruce) will be attending NAMM as well, however, I am not certain that the new gold reference DACs and amps will be available for a listen.

I suspect it will be worse with almost any DAC. I quite like the Mojo with an AK100/120 but the QP1r is clearly better line out then when adding the Mojo tos out. The internal dac/line circuit seems very well done and you don't have to deal with the clock recovery and jitter involved with SPdf. If they're close in performance the inboard DAC is at an advantage and in this case seems to be show it.

beerchug.gif

Thanks for the follow-up, and that's very good to know!  Enjoy, and looking forward to your impressions.

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #821 of 7,140
  Any idea what they did to the scroll wheel? with different surface finishing for better grip?

I received my QP1R on the Dec 28. Having not had the early iteration, where the wheel was hard to move, the one I received was very loose, to the point of being almost too loose. I have a tendency to oversteer and the rattle of the wheel is somewhat disconcerting. Over the weeks, I've adjusted to it (almost) but it is like a hair trigger. It's still an amazing player though.

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #822 of 7,140
Is there a software limit to the number of files that the media scan will add to the QP1R library? I have about 15,000 tracks on mine and when I do the manual media scan it stops at 5800. Couldn't find anything in the user manual about it. I'm using the latest firmware (1.0.4). Thanks for any help I can get.

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #823 of 7,140
Is there a software limit to the number of files that the media scan will add to the QP1R library? I have about 15,000 tracks on mine and when I do the manual media scan it stops at 5800. Couldn't find anything in the user manual about it. I'm using the latest firmware (1.0.4). Thanks for any help I can get.

This is a known problem with the current FW. Hopefully it will be corrected soon.

Jan 20, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #825 of 7,140
I'll definitely look into it.  I have personally found differences sonically with regards to different music playback applications within my iPhones.  I'll be exhibiting during NAMM this week, so maybe I can find a person with a Mojo and perform some critical comparisons.

Cool, are Questyle exhibiting? Expected Marshall, Gibson snd Fender! Are you involved with Questyle in promoting? Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back