Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Jul 10, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #7,006 of 7,140
I'd say 'yes', as they're about to release their 3rd new player. If you want to search by letter, just simply create alphabetized folders spanning your two cards, as I have done since the FiiO X5 1st gen.
If it's any consolation, Questyle couldn't deliver the folder play-through feature, that would have meant less jumping manually from album to album, in an artist folder. FiiO was able to do this, by the way. But QP1R is miles ahead in SQ.
Hm, so that’s two bits of UI functionality that I use nearly every day with my X5ii that I would lose (letter jump scrolling & play thru folders). It would have to be “miles ahead” in SQ to justify making the switch and I must say I am always dubious of this claim (no offense). I admit that I’m usually ok with spending a bit more for the peace of mind that comes with simply knowing I’m getting better sound (whether I can actually hear it or not). But to endure daily inconvenience (admittedly mild) I’d need a readily noticeable improvement. I have decidedly mid~fi equipment so the real issue is whether my stuff could reveal these improvements. I’ll have to ponder this a bit more.

Thanks, all.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #7,007 of 7,140
Hm, so that’s two bits of UI functionality that I use nearly every day with my X5ii that I would lose (letter jump scrolling & play thru folders). It would have to be “miles ahead” in SQ to justify making the switch and I must say I am always dubious of this claim (no offense). I admit that I’m usually ok with spending a bit more for the peace of mind that comes with simply knowing I’m getting better sound (whether I can actually hear it or not). But to endure daily inconvenience (admittedly mild) I’d need a readily noticeable improvement. I have decidedly mid~fi equipment so the real issue is whether my stuff could reveal these improvements. I’ll have to ponder this a bit more.

Thanks, all.
Hate to whine, but as a blind guy, I have to endure a lot of inconveniences that would be less so, when you can see the screen. With the QP1R, I need to count each and every vibration occurring with each capacitive button push. The X5s don't have that little advantage. Although I only tried the X5I, and as much as I liked the eventual folder playthrough that came along, I found that using an external amp hugely improved the SQ, over the internal HP jack.
With the QP1R, I find external amps redundant. And the two card slots make it undesirable for a QP2R or M, for that matter: The sound still impresses me. In fact, the only thing that would make me consider retiring my QP, is if the Chord 2go ever comes out, and has the feature set that would render a DAP superseded. You, in short, could get a top-sounding DAP for little more than the X5(X), unless, as you say, the features of the FiiO outweigh the superior SQ of the QP1R. HTH.

Jul 11, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #7,008 of 7,140
Hate to whine, but as a blind guy, I have to endure a lot of inconveniences that would be less so, when you can see the screen. With the QP1R, I need to count each and every vibration occurring with each capacitive button push. The X5s don't have that little advantage. Although I only tried the X5I, and as much as I liked the eventual folder playthrough that came along, I found that using an external amp hugely improved the SQ, over the internal HP jack.
With the QP1R, I find external amps redundant. And the two card slots make it undesirable for a QP2R or M, for that matter: The sound still impresses me. In fact, the only thing that would make me consider retiring my QP, is if the Chord 2go ever comes out, and has the feature set that would render a DAP superseded. You, in short, could get a top-sounding DAP for little more than the X5(X), unless, as you say, the features of the FiiO outweigh the superior SQ of the QP1R. HTH.

God****it, why did you have chime in?! I'm guessing your impression is worth more than most. That is high praise indeed and now I'm back to leaning in favor of the QP1R. (and the QP2R is too expensive for me -- not to mention the single card slot issue.)

That comment about not needing an external amp -- would you say the Questyle's amp is more comparable to a decent portable or desktop? I ask because I have a JDS C5 portable and also a JDS Atom. Compared to my X5ii headphone out, with my Senn HD600 I can sorta hear a difference using my C5 but I'm not at all sure I'd pass a blind AB test (sorry, I couldn't resist!). The Atom is a different story: it's a revelation, no exaggeration. After I got the Atom I finally fully understood why the 600's are legendary. So my obvious question is will the impact of the QP1R amp be more similar to my C5 or my Atom. (sorry folks, I have very little equipment & experience and so these are the only amps with which I am familiar enough to reference against.)

Thanks for your input.

Jul 11, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #7,009 of 7,140
Too me, the QP1r will likely never be superseded in terms of performance for dollar outside of very cheap and cheerful devices. I prefer BB and Cirrus Logic DACs like in the 1r to others and personally don't care much about balanced output. The DAC/amp combo with the current FW and most options defeated is still a special unit.

Jul 15, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #7,010 of 7,140
A question about power:
I just looked up the QP1R amp specs and was very surprised to see such low numbers (eg. 12mW at 300Ω on High Gain). Despite that, this thread is littered with folks reporting how much they love how it drives all their favorite high Z headphones. Moe's opening reviews mention nothing at all about lack of power or driving ability, not even with planars. SalvorHardin above even says that in his experience external amping is largely redundant with the 1R. So what is going on? Is it that the current mode design changes the game somehow, such that power specs don't mean anything? Surely it can't deliver desktop amp level of performance, can it?

Anyway, I'll be able to answer some of these questions myself soon as I have a trial unit on the way (the pickiest headphones I have are Senn 600). I just wondered what everyone thinks about its driving ability, considering those relatively low amp specs.

Jul 15, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #7,011 of 7,140
@bzippy , mine drive AKG K812 headphones and Shure SRH1540 headphones beautifully. In fact now I'm having second thoughts again about ever getting rid of the QP1R. Every time I listen to the damn player I find myself saying that I can't possibly get rid of it...LPG has better resolution, but the QP1R sounds much more natural and non-digital.

0715192127.jpg
0715192001b.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #7,012 of 7,140
@bzippy , mine drive AKG K812 headphones and Shure SRH1540 headphones beautifully. In fact now I'm having second thoughts again about ever getting rid of the QP1R. Every time I listen to the damn player I find myself saying that I can't possibly get rid of it...LPG has better resolution, but the QP1R sounds much more natural and non-digital.

Yes, but are either of those considered difficult to drive?

Jul 17, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #7,013 of 7,140
Jul 17, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #7,014 of 7,140
A question about power:
I just looked up the QP1R amp specs and was very surprised to see such low numbers (eg. 12mW at 300Ω on High Gain). Despite that, this thread is littered with folks reporting how much they love how it drives all their favorite high Z headphones. Moe's opening reviews mention nothing at all about lack of power or driving ability, not even with planars. SalvorHardin above even says that in his experience external amping is largely redundant with the 1R. So what is going on? Is it that the current mode design changes the game somehow, such that power specs don't mean anything? Surely it can't deliver desktop amp level of performance, can it?

Anyway, I'll be able to answer some of these questions myself soon as I have a trial unit on the way (the pickiest headphones I have are Senn 600). I just wondered what everyone thinks about its driving ability, considering those relatively low amp specs.

Did you read the headphone portion of post #1 of this thread? Post #1 has a bunch of different headphones that were tested with the QP1R, including the ZMF Omni (Ori) that is a planar that likes a LOT of power.

Jul 18, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #7,015 of 7,140
I tried my Sennheiser HD650 headphones for the first time with my QP1R today, and I am absolutely shocked that they sound so great.

Jul 19, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #7,016 of 7,140
I tried my Sennheiser HD650 headphones for the first time with my QP1R today, and I am absolutely shocked that they sound so great.

I have to say that there isn’t anything in my collection that sounds bad with the QP1R, it has a lovely organic like sound to my ears and seems to be powerful enough for most things. I am currently loving it paired with Tin Hifi’s P1 planar iems, if I didn’t know better I’d say they were ‘made for each other’ :)

Jul 29, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #7,017 of 7,140
A while back I posted that Questyle had emailed me to say that SCV Distribution was again their representatives in the UK, after initially losing the dealership.

I contacted SCV on eBay (Audioclear) as they have an ex-demo QP2R I was interested in and after enquiring about their current status with Questyle, they told me this was in fact not the case. Apparently, they are in talks with Questyle, but nothing has been decided either way and the only stock they have is a few ex-demo units that they are now selling on eBay.

Questyle at the time said that SCV was definitely their UK distributors and would be displaying their products at an upcoming show. It's difficult to comprehend how Questyle could not know who, if anyone, was representing their company in a particular territory.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #7,019 of 7,140
I have just got a QP1R. It has firmware 1.06. Can someone please tell me if I should upgrade to the other firmware? If I do, what are the pros and cons of doing so? Thanks.
You could update to 1.08 or 09. The volume of 08 moves in 60 steps, while 09 is divided into 120 steps. Whatever battery-level indicator issues were software related, were fixed in V1.09. Some say that the overall level of the player was reduced in 09. But, if so, I didn't find it a problem. Just turn it up, is what I say. If you prefer to have a less fine level adjustment, use V1.08.
But, in short, I'd update from V1.06.

Aug 5, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #7,020 of 7,140
I have just got a QP1R. It has firmware 1.06. Can someone please tell me if I should upgrade to the other firmware? If I do, what are the pros and cons of doing so? Thanks.

You could update to 1.08 or 09. The volume of 08 moves in 60 steps, while 09 is divided into 120 steps. Whatever battery-level indicator issues were software related, were fixed in V1.09. Some say that the overall level of the player was reduced in 09. But, if so, I didn't find it a problem. Just turn it up, is what I say. If you prefer to have a less fine level adjustment, use V1.08.
But, in short, I'd update from V1.06.

I would upgrade to the newest V1.09 personally. As mentioned above, the volume issue is blown out of proportion. I used to listen at level 25-30 out of 60 on V1.08 and now I listen at 50-60 out of 120 on V1.09.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back