Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Jan 24, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #6,091 of 7,140
Thanks for the answer Matt, and I mean that.

If that information had been made public at the time when it was apparent that a not all QP1R's were working correctly after 1.09, then all this would never have happened and for whatever reason, me repeatedly asking the same question, wouldn't have wound Bruce up to the point of insulting me.

The information you have given us could never be described as cluttering up this thread and would have saved space had it been made available earlier. We just wanted an answer and interestingly, the answer you gave is what I thought was the case anyway. I/We just needed clarification and a loan unit is a nice touch.

Will there ever be a point where we can purchase a new QP1R, that has already had the hardware modification, or that the modification is already incorporated in the current production units? If, indeed, they are still in production?

Well, now it's out there hopefully we can all get on with enjoying our players or at least getting them fixed.

I will happily confirm on this thread when I have stock that I am sure incorporates the latest modification and is fully functioning. At this time I do not, but I will have.

Please, let's not go back the discontinuation thing...!! Of course if you keep speculating it will eventually come true, as all products come to the end of their life. Our main DAP competitor does it with alarming regularity. When it happens, then you can say I told you so... :)

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #6,092 of 7,140
Many thanks for the clear explanation Matt. It is much appreciated. You have (hopefully) finally brought this issue to a much needed end. Shame Bruce couldn’t have done this a long time ago....

I bought a new QP1R from Amp3 a few days ago and immediately updated to 1.09. From 100% the gauge fell in a linear fashion to 19% and then fell quickly to 10% (red). It then fell to 8% fairly quickly and shut down at 4%.
This is very similar to Darren’s out of the box experience with 1.08 and if this is normal behaviour for a fixed unit I would be quite happy.

I have charged up a second time - I am on tenterhooks! From my experience so far would you have a prediction?

Jan 24, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #6,094 of 7,140
Many thanks for the clear explanation Matt. It is much appreciated. You have (hopefully) finally brought this issue to a much needed end. Shame Bruce couldn’t have done this a long time ago....

I bought a new QP1R from Amp3 a few days ago and immediately updated to 1.09. From 100% the gauge fell in a linear fashion to 19% and then fell quickly to 10% (red). It then fell to 8% fairly quickly and shut down at 4%.
This is very similar to Darren’s out of the box experience with 1.08 and if this is normal behaviour for a fixed unit I would be quite happy.

I have charged up a second time - I am on tenterhooks! From my experience so far would you have a prediction?

Of all the units I've used, I've never personally experienced the battery issue. I have one under my desk that I have been charging and running down for weeks now, on a daily basis. It behaves perfectly. That is from the same batch you purchased from amp3. I can't be sure that yours will not develop the issue but if it does I will make sure it is fixed promptly and you have something to cover you while that is done.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #6,100 of 7,140
Yes, I have. Two Gold and 5 Silver, all gone. If I knew a few days ago what I know now, I could have got one for £412. I'm not paying £624, bearing in mind the potential inconvenience of sending it back, based on my experience with my last unit that was two weeks old when 1.09 came out. Sent that one back.

Did Chris say that when they come in again they will still be selling them at £549? Or will they fall in with all other UK retailers and list it at £749?

Not to rub it in (honestly!) but so far so good with my QP1R (same batch as Matt's, which is working normally). Will only be convinced after several charging cycles though. It really is a beautiful piece of work and shows what a mistake I made selling my last one - to yourself I believe! However, this one is the second iteration with the fixed wheel problem and I feel that the UI is smoother also. (May be my imagination).

Jan 24, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #6,102 of 7,140
I have a dumb question ... If I'm using the optical out ...

Will the settings
'line out volume - Max/Adj'
Or
the actual volume knob

Affect the volume on the optical out?

I'm at work and can't really test this to find out for myself

Jan 24, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #6,103 of 7,140
I have a dumb question ... If I'm using the optical out ...

Will the settings
'line out volume - Max/Adj'
Or
the actual volume knob

Affect the volume on the optical out?

I'm at work and can't really test this to find out for myself

If set to max then volume knob has no effect. If set to adj then volume knob adjusts the volume level.

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #6,105 of 7,140

Users who are viewing this thread

Back