Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Oct 13, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #5,462 of 7,140
Hi All

I have just sent the following email to Questyle, which I trust is self-explanatory:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

There has been a lot of talk on Head-Hi.Org on the subject of any forthcoming firmware update for the QP1R, specifically with regard to solving the widely know battery indicator issue.

Can you confirm or deny once and for all, if there is an update being prepared?

A copy of this email will be posted on the QP1R thread on the above-mentioned forum, as will any response.

Regards

Darren

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not holding out much hope though, as I contacted Questyle a couple of weeks ago as to whether it was possible to purchase a QP1R box and accessories without the actual DAP, as I had just purchased one from eBay without the box. I received no reply. I had to contact SCV Distribution.co.uk, who were great and even sent me some wheel protectors, free of charge.

I have a new QP1R coming down from Advancedmp3players.co.uk in Gold, as the one from eBay (Subsequently sold), was Silver. I think if we don't get an answer to the above email, I'll sell it here, unopened and purchase a FiiO X7ii. FiiO has had there fair share of firmware issues, but they have always interacted with their customers in a timely fashion both on here and their own forum, to correct any issues.

Regards

Darren
FiiO was great with reaching out to customers. James himself used to weigh in on the forums, even opening up suggestions for customer expectations for the original X7. Even their former spokesman, Joe Bloggs, remembered me, when I was on another unrelated thread.
Still, I wanted a top tier DAP, and I still believe Questyle has produced one. I think they've retreated behind their walls, either because they're juggling a lot of balls in the air with several new releases, or they don't like being exposed to our complaints in so open a fassion as on here. Either way, at least someone could drop in once in a while, and let us know what's happening in their shop. I'm willing, for the moment, to assume that it's festival time and they have to show up to the various shows with their new gadgets. And don't forget, they also have the $12.000 gold stack and the high-rollers who can afford it. Also, the USB problem with the 600I, and other stuff. I suspect that we're miniature Idahos in the grander scheme of things. Which, also, is why FiiO is so much more personal. In short, I believe there will be one more update, and then QP2R will be the favourite child from then on.

Oct 13, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #5,464 of 7,140
Hi EULong

I think you are right on all counts, but it doesn't make it right and it certainly doesn't justify the lack of even a Beta firmware to help with the battery issue. I read here that the last firmware update was in December 2016?

To use an analogy, if I went into my local BMW dealership with my 320i, I would expect the same level of customer care as someone as the person behind me in the queue with their M760Li xDrive, because one day I might be in a position to purchase a BMW M7 or $12k with Questyle.

Anyway, I have decided to sell the QP1R unopened on here when it arrives, which should be today or Monday. It's from advancedmp3players.co.uk, an official UK Questyle dealer. It is the gold version and will include a brand new brown Questyle case if required.

I don't feel comfortable sending it back just because I've changed my mind. It will be for sale in the UK and Europe only and members can PM me if interested, prior to me placing the advert.

If Questyle comes back with good news, I'll keep it, but I think we all know which way this is going to go.

Regards

Darren
I forgot to add that it ain't right, to my post. My unit is still disfunctional, and I don't see their trusted Canadian rep, being able to solve the issue. And I choose not to understand why the Questyle company on this continent won't even bother to respond to my email in person, but pass the buck to a simple shop acting as their representative. FiiO suggested I send my X5 to them directly in China, to be looked at. They may not have the product I could use, (the X7 is screen operated), but, I think FiiO is a class act.
Good luck with your search for the perfect DAP. I think my QP is great, but the after-service leaves something to be desired.

Oct 13, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #5,466 of 7,140
Capture+_2017-10-14-08-27-11.png
Capture+_2017-10-14-08-27-20.png
The last firmware upgrade was 10 Months ago - to you really think the develop a new firmware for QP1R - i doubt this

From Questyle as in the screenshots from my pm folder

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #5,469 of 7,140
I’m not actually that surprised that there are problems with aftercare. With small companies selling high end goods worldwide there are often difficulties because the dealer network and support just isn’t well established. The more niche and esoteric the product the worse it tends to be. So I wouldn’t be too hard on Questyle, they’re hardly unique in this regard, however frustrating it is if problems occur.

To draw a comparison, I see it a lot with mechanical watches (my other interest) where folk often complain that the small manufacturers that they love precisely because they offer something outside of the mainstream tend to fall down when things go wrong. It’s not actually that surprising and probably why people stick to the Omegas and Rolex’s, they provide some surety of aftersales care.

I’m not saying it’s good if a comparatively new product can’t be fixed - of course it isn’t - but it does provide a cautionary tale when dealing with newish entrants to the market.

Oct 13, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #5,474 of 7,140
You still lucky. You can still contact dealer for free repair or replacement.
Mine is out of 1 year then becoming a brick. No response from dealer for couple months.
Just emailed to OEM and no respond yet.

Sorry to hear that. I am grateful. Moon Audio has been a professional organization to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back