Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Nov 5, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #436 of 7,140
@moedawg140 very nice review. I really like it when head-fi works together to make something like this happens with borrowing gear. It looks like this took quite the effort to complete this comprehensive review

From what I understand you have the QP1 as well. I don't see the specs for the size of it but is the size of the QP1 and QP1R identical for the purpose of buying a case? Also for you personally, if you are using your SE846 in good conditions how easy or difficult is it for you to distinguish between the QP1 and QP1R? I'm leaning towards the QP1 since the majority would be in a commute or coffeeshop type of environment. I know you have a pre production model however it should give me an idea of which one to go for. Also the video definitely helped a lot with understand the UI and it looks to be very good for an audiophile dap. I've had an ibasso, hifiman and fiio dap and none of the UI's were that good for my use.

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #437 of 7,140
@moedawg140
 very nice review. I really like it when head-fi works together to make something like this happens with borrowing gear. It looks like this took quite the effort to complete this comprehensive review

From what I understand you have the QP1 as well. I don't see the specs for the size of it but is the size of the QP1 and QP1R identical for the purpose of buying a case? Also for you personally, if you are using your SE846 in good conditions how easy or difficult is it for you to distinguish between the QP1 and QP1R? I'm leaning towards the QP1 since the majority would be in a commute or coffeeshop type of environment. I know you have a pre production model however it should give me an idea of which one to go for. Also the video definitely helped a lot with understand the UI and it looks to be very good for an audiophile dap. I've had an ibasso, hifiman and fiio dap and none of the UI's were that good for my use.

Appreciate the comment, rawrster.

I currently do not own the QP1, my apologies if it was insinuated that I own the QP1 (I do not see anywhere where I stated that I own the QP1).

The dimensions of the QP1 and QP1R are the same.

When I directly compared the QP1 and QP1R, I mostly used IEMs and headphones, but not the SE846 to compare the two. With overall regards to the differences, I would say that if you want the utmost in clarity and coherency, the QP1R is the choice of the two, however the QP1 is not far behind at all. It really depends on what music (bitrate, mastering, etcetera) you listen to and what IEMs and/or headphones you listen to, as well as your hearing ability to gauge various differences. I would try to listen to both if you can, but to my ears, overall it is not a night and day difference, more like dusk to night. If you must spend only $599 USD, the QP1 is a great choice. If you can spend $899 USD, the QP1R is a great choice as well.

I am crestfallen to read this "I know you have a pre-production model..."? Please, instead of stating that I own something (especially when I did not explicitly state that I own the QP1 and/or what version I own), you can ask if I own it and/or what version I own. For the record, I own the production model of the QP1R, and do not (as of this writing) currently own the QP1. Over the past several months, I listened to various versions of the Questyle players (pre-production QP1, pre-production QP1R and fantasy QP1S) and owned the only pre-production QP1R in the world before exchanging for a production QP1R. I collaborated with Bruce and Gary often, and shared many stories regarding the QP lineup and Questyle in general.

As for the QP1/QP1R's UI, it is simple and effective for my uses. Very snappy, so that is another positive aspect as well.

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #438 of 7,140
moedawg140

As a person buying my first DAP, your review showed me this is the one that fits my requirements. I only have a Bose QC15, so want to get an IEM and headphone. Your review helps me dramatically in choosing them thanks to your testing with different IEMs and headphones. Your review confirmed the SE846, which I am considering, pairs nicely with the QP1R. I am still wondering which sub $2000 headphone is good. Thinking of the LCD-X, but not sure how it compares to the SE846. It sucks no one around me carries these listening devices. :frowning2:

By the way, it was an awesome review

Nov 6, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #439 of 7,140
As for the QP1/QP1R's UI, it is simple and effective for my uses. Very snappy, so that is another positive aspect as well.

The UI is actually a joke. I love the sound of the QP1R, but I will buy it only once it becomes usable (removal of 5,800 song limit for library, implementation of "album artist" sorting, etc)

Nov 6, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #440 of 7,140
@moedawg140

As a person buying my first DAP, your review showed me this is the one that fits my requirements. I only have a Bose QC15, so want to get an IEM and headphone. Your review helps me dramatically in choosing them thanks to your testing with different IEMs and headphones. Your review confirmed the SE846, which I am considering, pairs nicely with the QP1R. I am still wondering which sub $2000 headphone is good. Thinking of the LCD-X, but not sure how it compares to the SE846. It sucks no one around me carries these listening devices.
frown.gif

By the way, it was an awesome review

Thanks, and I hope you will experience a lot of blissful listening sessions if you choose to purchase the QP1R! 
beerchug.gif

The UI is actually a joke. I love the sound of the QP1R, but I will buy it only once it becomes usable (removal of 5,800 song limit for library, implementation of "album artist" sorting, etc)

Your statement regarding the UI is your opinion, and you are free to feel that way.  As for your statement with regards to purchasing the QP1R, since you believe it isn't usable right now (because the 5,800 song limit makes it automatically unusable for you), then you are free to purchase any other DAP on the market.

Nov 6, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #441 of 7,140

Your statement regarding the UI is your opinion, and you are free to feel that way.  As for your statement with regards to purchasing the QP1R, since you believe it isn't usable right now (because the 5,800 song limit makes it automatically unusable for you), then you are free to purchase any other DAP on the market.

Kind of trapped here. Love the sound signature which is exactly what I am lookig for! 
Still i find it laughable that with two MicroSD slots in which I can theoretically put twice 200GB I am limited to 5,800 Songs if I want to use library instead folder play.

Calling that UI effective is the euphemism of the century!

But that very same issue exists with Cayin, Shanling and FiiO as they all obviously have the same source for their UI. FiiO has removed the limit in an update
and at least Questyle has given hints that they will do same in next major update (they did not exactly promise but I understand it that way - maybe wishful thinking?)

So I am very optimistic to own a QP1R in the not too far future...

Nov 6, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #442 of 7,140
Just have a few questions I was hoping to get answers on:

1) Has anyone has compared the heat build-up on the QP1R against the Ponoplayer for long duration of play assuming 24bit/192kHz flac files are being used? My current Ponoplayer runs pretty hot and at times feels like its burning a hole in my pants but that's after a few hours of play.

2) Is it Linux OS compatible or only the usual Windows/Mac OS compatibility?

3) Is there bluetooth/wifi capability? If it has bluetooth/wifi, does it install updates OTA (over the air)?

4) Why would they not have a cover for the 128GB SDcard slots?

Nov 6, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #443 of 7,140
  Just have a few questions I was hoping to get answers on:

1) Has anyone has compared the heat build-up on the QP1R against the Ponoplayer for long duration of play assuming 24bit/192kHz flac files are being used? My current Ponoplayer runs pretty hot and at times feels like its burning a hole in my pants but that's after a few hours of play.

2) Is it Linux OS compatible or only the usual Windows/Mac OS compatibility?

3) Is there bluetooth/wifi capability? If it has bluetooth/wifi, does it install updates OTA (over the air)?

4) Why would they not have a cover for the 128GB SDcard slots?

1) I haven't done a side-by-side, but since the QP1R is a Class A device, it will get warm with use, but should not reach excessively hot temperatures when it is playing without the QP1R in a case.  It can get quite warm when playing in a full-cover case.  You shouldn't have any issues with the heat burning you, burning a hole in your pants or anything of the sort with the QP1R.

2) The QP1R acts as a flash drive with the internal 32GB of storage as a drive and any other inserted micro SDXC card as well, and should work with Linux OS (same as if a flash drive works on your Linux machine).

3) No Bluetooth or internet capability.  Please read the review (first post) for QP1/QP1R updating instructions.

4) Questyle went back and forth with regards to using a cover or not using a cover.  They chose to go with no cover, and I thank them for this choice.  I vastly prefer no cover for the card slots.  The card(s) that are inserted in the card slots are recessed, meaning there isn't any way the card(s) will get damaged while inside the card slots.

Anything else, feel free to ask.  Good luck!

Nov 6, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #444 of 7,140

1) I haven't done a side-by-side, but since the QP1R is a Class A device, it will get warm with use, but should not reach excessively hot temperatures when it is playing without the QP1R in a case.  It can get quite warm when playing in a full-cover case.  You shouldn't have any issues with the heat burning you, burning a hole in your pants or anything of the sort with the QP1R.

2) The QP1R acts as a flash drive with the internal 32GB of storage as a drive and any other inserted micro SDXC card as well, and should work with Linux OS (same as if a flash drive works on your Linux machine).

3) No Bluetooth or internet capability.  Please read the review (first post) for QP1/QP1R updating instructions.

4) Questyle went back and forth with regards to using a cover or not using a cover.  They chose to go with no cover, and I thank them for this choice.  I vastly prefer no cover for the card slots.  The card(s) that are inserted in the card slots are recessed, meaning there isn't any way the card(s) will get damaged while inside the card slots.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Now all I have to do is find one in Malaysia so that I can listen to it. Hopefully I'll be able to test it directly with my Ether C's that are on the way.

P.S. I was hoping they'd have covers for the SD cards. I just can't bear to see them out in the open... all vulnerable and ready for plucking *paranoia*

Nov 6, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #445 of 7,140
Really enjoying my QP1R with my Shure 846s and AKG3003s.I'm probably missing something but can't find information re remaining internal storage space.Any thoughts would be much appreciated.  

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #446 of 7,140

Thanks for the prompt reply. Now all I have to do is find one in Malaysia so that I can listen to it. Hopefully I'll be able to test it directly with my Ether C's that are on the way.

P.S. I was hoping they'd have covers for the SD cards. I just can't bear to see them out in the open... all vulnerable and ready for plucking *paranoia*

I wasn't crazy about the card covers on my FiiO.  They're a pain to open at the best of times.  Glad Questyle left them off.

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #447 of 7,140
Just got my qp1r and I have to say im mightily impressed by the sound as well as how luxury this product is.it slashed my zx100 (which i really lime) with its class A vs D amp right out of the competition as far as sounds concerned.Sony is still great, but this is like another level up as if you've added a top class A amp, so much more resolving, dynamic and detailed.

I need to charge it and I need to check I definitely need a 2mh charger minimum?

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #448 of 7,140
Just got my qp1r and I have to say im mightily impressed by the sound as well as how luxury this product is.it slashed my zx100 (which i really lime) with its class A vs D amp right out of the competition as far as sounds concerned.Sony is still great, but this is like another level up as if you've added a top class A amp, so much more resolving, dynamic and detailed.

I need to charge it and I need to check I definitely need a 2mh charger minimum?

Using 2A charger would definitely make charging faster. Should be quite common with phone nowadays. Using lower spec charger or PC USB just take longer time.

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #449 of 7,140
Using 2A charger would definitely make charging faster. Should be quite common with phone nowadays. Using lower spec charger or PC USB just take longer time.

Thanks for the quick reply, I thought thats the case, will have to do with 1,5mh today, got one dual 2mh from amazon just now.:thumbsup::beers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back