Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Feb 8, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #4,067 of 7,140
Excited to hear there's been an upgrade to the wheel issue on the 1st model. Unfortunately for me I've had my unit for 18 months so if there is an upgrade programme it probably won't apply to me, but then again you never know.
Someone mentioned in an earlier thread that they thought other upgrades may have taken place? Can anyone confirm this?
I was wondering if we could start posting some suggestions for the next model. I'll start with the name the QP2R I read this on the innerfidelity website and thought it sounded right on the money.
My suggestions for the next model would be
1) A slightly bigger and better screen with a larger font writing (I'm getting old)
2) Would it be possible to offer a balanced jack option like that on the Sony offering?
3) What about a copper or stainless steel limited edition model option ala A&K or make a gold reference version like your amps which are incredible.
4) A longer USB cable to be provided with the package or something easier sized to get a longer replacement that fits
5) Increased battery life and accurate readings
6) Keep the dual SIM card slots but increase the storage capacity
7) Maybe a collaboration with a IEM maker/ special edition model
8) Supply a leather case with the package
9) Maybe include Bluetooth or Wifi or both so we can stream
10) Any internal upgrades that would improve on the already fantastic sound.

This is my list. Interested to see yours or hear your comments on mine

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #4,069 of 7,140
Why did Questyle choose to only update the wheel and some internal components but not change the model name or even add a V2? This whole thing seems like an odd decision. Why not just upgrade the entire unit and make a legit 2nd generation model? Why the rush now to address the wheel?

Feb 8, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #4,071 of 7,140
I really had no major issue with the wheel knowing down the line a 2nd generation would be available with a whole list of upgrades. However, this quiet update clearly was done to address the flawed wheel. Maybe I am wrong here, but I just feel like this could have been communicated better to existing owners. Obviously they felt the need to address the wheel alot sooner than they wanted to release a "QP2R". But this makes me feel like I own "the bad model" now.

Feb 8, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #4,072 of 7,140
Excited to hear there's been an upgrade to the wheel issue on the 1st model. Unfortunately for me I've had my unit for 18 months so if there is an upgrade programme it probably won't apply to me, but then again you never know.
Someone mentioned in an earlier thread that they thought other upgrades may have taken place? Can anyone confirm this?
I was wondering if we could start posting some suggestions for the next model. I'll start with the name the QP2R I read this on the innerfidelity website and thought it sounded right on the money.
1) A slightly bigger and better screen with a larger font writing (I'm getting old)
2) Would it be possible to offer a balanced jack option like that on the Sony offering?
3) What about a copper or stainless steel limited edition model option ala A&K or make a gold reference version like your amps which are incredible.
4) A longer USB cable to be provided with the package or something easier sized to get a longer replacement that fits

That's a great list of upgrade :wink:

My wishlist would be much more simple though:
1. Hardware: physical Play/Pause, Next, and Previous buttons at the side which operate even when the screen is off
2. Software: ability to Play All in any folder level of Browse File menu. Means if I have folder Metallica consisting of 3 sub folders (respective to 3 albums) I could play all of them simultaneously. Another thing is the ability to add the whole track in an album/a folder to a Playlist, instead of adding track by track.

Feb 8, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #4,073 of 7,140

I would ask to increase the 20,000 song library limit ... right now I'm at 16,000 using 256GB cards

Feb 8, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #4,074 of 7,140
Oh my God, they've just changed a few components around, and everyone is already designing a new unit?  Some of the suggestions are available for a mere US$2,500 or more from the ROK's high-end train company.  If Questyle comes up with a reasonably priced upgrade plan involving me sending my unit to California for a bit of work, that would be great.  I'd still wait for an educated listening report on what Dr. Jason has come up with for sound improvement, as his track record sold me.

Feb 8, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #4,076 of 7,140
  My unit was purchased in October in the UK and the wheel is very smooth when rotated, compared to my previous unit that you could feel the "Mechanics" for want of a better word when rotated.

Also, the wheel is so much better, requiring no protector or DIY solution to get moving.

Does that make mine a "New" model?

If I recall you mentioned in the past you owned the QP1R twice before this current QP1R, correct? I believe some regions received the new wheel batch QP1R a tad earlier than some markets. The USA region I can confirmed we received our new batch in mid December of 2016 which then started going out to dealers from then on.

I agree with all of the above. Not too bothered with 9, as we would be going down the Android route. Prefer an out and out music player.

Would love a Quesytle IEM, even if it was a collaboration using an existing model tuned to the QP2r!

We have a wonderful relationship with a number of IEM manufacturers so I would never want to rule anything out... 
biggrin.gif

Why did Questyle choose to only update the wheel and some internal components but not change the model name or even add a V2? This whole thing seems like an odd decision. Why not just upgrade the entire unit and make a legit 2nd generation model? Why the rush now to address the wheel?

Perhaps Questyle didn't think it warranted the V2.0 name. If so, they must be commended. Think of it as a V1.1 maybe?

I really had no major issue with the wheel knowing down the line a 2nd generation would be available with a whole list of upgrades. However, this quiet update clearly was done to address the flawed wheel. Maybe I am wrong here, but I just feel like this could have been communicated better to existing owners. Obviously they felt the need to address the wheel alot sooner than they wanted to release a "QP2R". But this makes me feel like I own "the bad model" now.

I'm not too sure why it was ultimately decided to not name the new wheel batch differently. I know there were multiple versions of the wheel in the prototype phase and the one picked originally when it came to market we believe was the biggest complaint. The new wheel was in development for a while and there was a new production run of QP1R needed for the holiday season so the choice ultimate became should the next batch have the old wheel or use the new wheel design and it was decided on the latter.

Recent things such as the USB dac feature and the new wheel came about during R&D for the next gen and it was found that we could implement it in the current gen of the QP1R.

Quote:

That's a great list of upgrade :wink:

My wishlist would be much more simple though:
1. Hardware: physical Play/Pause, Next, and Previous buttons at the side which operate even when the screen is off
2. Software: ability to Play All in any folder level of Browse File menu. Means if I have folder Metallica consisting of 3 sub folders (respective to 3 albums) I could play all of them simultaneously. Another thing is the ability to add the whole track in an album/a folder to a Playlist, instead of adding track by track.

I would ask to increase the 20,000 song library limit ... right now I'm at 16,000 using 256GB cards

Interesting list of suggestions guys... While I can't confirm or deny the existence of a new dap yet I can be vague in saying that there is work being done on a next gen player but time frame for it still up in the air.

Obviously when one chooses to go say with Android and a touchscreen a lot of resources get used for just that. The choice made with the QP1R in its design and philosophy was to have a good battery life to last and to power headphones and to sound great. Who knows what the future may hold but it should be real exciting!

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Feb 9, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #4,078 of 7,140
gs1000.gif

Feb 9, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #4,079 of 7,140

Obviously when one chooses to go say with Android and a touchscreen a lot of resources get used for just that. The choice made with the QP1R in its design
and philosophy was to have a good battery life to last and to power headphones and to sound great. Who knows what the future may hold but it should be
real exciting!  (as quoted by @Netforce)
I love the simplisity of the QP.  Great sound and no Android frills.  Sorry for my sneering post about suggestions for the next DAP.  I don't see myself buying the very next product as I see myself enjoying this on for years to come.  But, if there's a modification plan for upgrading the internal parts, I would jump on it.  I'd even consider the wheel change-up only in case I wanted to sell it in the future.
My own little suggestion is that Questyle could call it the Mk. II, since the internal changes marks a deviation from standard.

Feb 10, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #4,080 of 7,140
I have a QP1R but will be buying the CHORD HUGO 2 as soon as it comes out. Plan to use the above combo with my HEK v2 as there was synergy but wondering if I should switch to the Fio X5 III as a transport since it has a better UI, also two microSD card slots and can also stream TIDAL with Wifi. I would probably keep the QP1R for easy portable use with IEM (just got the amazing Zeus XR Adel).

Anyone pair the Fio with the HUGO as just a transport?

Is there a USB out on the Fio or only optical like with the QP1R?

Sorry about double posting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back