Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Aug 31, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #2,746 of 7,123

Bambule

Previously known as Wozniak
So today I got an answer from my dealer concerning my battery indicator / shutdown issues.
They say Questyle knows the problem and is working on it (never heard that before)
They say since the play time is as it should be, there's no problem with the battery, no problem with the hardware.
They say they recommend to charge it until full and leave it charging for another 6 hours, then the software should recalibrate itself (never heard that either)
They say they will let me know when a new version is up (I think they mean firmware version, as I was asking I were on 1.06, I told them I'm on 1.07 since Monday, after they send me this answer)
So as of 1.07, I have no experience until today, no time to listening to music right now. I'm curious if the problem still exists. Also I will be trying the 6 hour charging (after player is on 100%), when problem still exists.
As of now, I'm not really hopeful about this recommendations (when it's a software thing, shouldn't there be more QP1R users with this issue?), but time will tell.

Aug 31, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #2,747 of 7,123

Ritvik

Previously known as RambleOnRed

Yes it does.

Thank you! Works great with my laptop.

I also tried it out on my phone and it works just fine as well.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge + QP1R (coupled with the regular charging cable that comes with most android devices, using a Micro USB Male To USB Female OTG Adapter) and running USB Audio Player Pro which detected the QP1R as soon as it was plugged in, no fiddling around at all :)

EDIT: Is there any place I can buy the wheel cover/sticker? The one I got when I purchased the QP1R slipped right off in a matter of seconds!

Aug 31, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #2,748 of 7,123

husafreak

100+ Head-Fier

My QP1R DAC is now happily playing music from my iPhone 6S. I initially had the Belkin 4 port USB hub plugged into an AC outlet via its wall wart power supply. Then I disconnected it from the wall and the combo continued to play without any external power. Then I disconnected everything and powered down and back up, reconnected everything and hit play and it sounds brilliant. I'm guessing now that the "handshake" is not required every time. Not really sure about all this. The components in the chain are iPhone 6S/Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter/USB-A to USB Mini-B (5 pin) adapter/Belkin 4 Port USB hub (its wall wart power supply is not shown)/Rankie USB-A to micro USB-B cable/QP1R/Fostex TH-X00. The Belkin product is quite old, I think the Mini USB-B plugs predate the Micro USB-B plugs.

Aug 31, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #2,749 of 7,123

moedawg140

Grand Master Moe "G"….Don't crossface me, bro!
Ping Pong Champ: SF Meet (2016,2017), CanJams (London 2016, RMAF 2016, NYC 2017, SoCal 2017, RMAF 2017)
I asked my wife to pick up a cable for me at the Apple store in the mall for using the QP1R DAC with my iPhone. But which one? moedawg140 wrote:
Connect the male USB connecting cable from the USB Hub to the Apple CCK cable port.
Connect the Apple CCK Lightning connector to the iPhone 6.
The Apple store doesn't show a CCK cable although they have one for cameras that looks about right. I do have a Lightning to standard USB connector from my charger that should do the job of the two cables listed above, but it doesn't seem to work. I don't have a male USB to male USB cable. Hmmm thinking out loud.
I don't even know if these multi port things are one way devises. If my Belkin has 4 USB ports on one side and a USB mini B on the other does that mean the iPhone has to go on one side and the QP1R on the other? Thanks

Yeah, I see in your post below (in the previous page) you got the right cable, the Apple CCK (camera connection kit) cable. Plug then all in the same way that I stated a few pages back. Please let me know which specific direction(s) you aren't understanding and I will try my best to clarify.

Aug 31, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #2,750 of 7,123

moedawg140

Ping Pong Champ: SF Meet (2016,2017), CanJams (London 2016, RMAF 2016, NYC 2017, SoCal 2017, RMAF 2017)
Aug 31, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #2,751 of 7,123

moedawg140

So today I got an answer from my dealer concerning my battery indicator / shutdown issues.
They say Questyle knows the problem and is working on it (never heard that before)
They say since the play time is as it should be, there's no problem with the battery, no problem with the hardware.
They say they recommend to charge it until full and leave it charging for another 6 hours, then the software should recalibrate itself (never heard that either)
They say they will let me know when a new version is up (I think they mean firmware version, as I was asking I were on 1.06, I told them I'm on 1.07 since Monday, after they send me this answer)
So as of 1.07, I have no experience until today, no time to listening to music right now. I'm curious if the problem still exists. Also I will be trying the 6 hour charging (after player is on 100%), when problem still exists.
As of now, I'm not really hopeful about this recommendations (when it's a software thing, shouldn't there be more QP1R users with this issue?), but time will tell.

Please let us know how the charging works. I ran into an issue recently as well but charging it up to the maximum and overnight took care of the issue completely. If everything recalibrates for you I will be putting it (charging) as a way to fix certain issues as an update in the QP1R review (first post of the thread).

Aug 31, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #2,752 of 7,123

moedawg140

Thank you! Works great with my laptop.

I also tried it out on my phone and it works just fine as well.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge + QP1R (coupled with the regular charging cable that comes with most android devices, using a Micro USB Male To USB Female OTG Adapter) and running USB Audio Player Pro which detected the QP1R as soon as it was plugged in, no fiddling around at all :)

EDIT: Is there any place I can buy the wheel cover/sticker? The one I got when I purchased the QP1R slipped right off in a matter of seconds!

PM Netforce, and he will hook you up with some wheel skins! :beerchug:

Aug 31, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #2,753 of 7,123

DGCFAD

Reviewer at Headphone.Guru
I was able to get a wheel sticker sent to me but it came with three parts and I am still confused as to which one to use and how to apply properly. The disc without the step 1 and step 2 stickers has one sticky side only. Do I just apply the disc that is thicker and forget about the other two??!?!

See photo

This has been answered, but for clarity, you have 3 protectors, it looks like you were sent extras in case there was a problem installing. The one without the tabs may not work. They are self explanatory but you remove the film attached to the step 1 tab, then stick that side onto the wheel, just like a screen protector for a smartphone, then work out the air bubbles if any, then remove the second film. Note: I would clean the wheel with an alcohol wipe first as anything on the wheel will be there forever after the disc has been applied.

Aug 31, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #2,754 of 7,123

bearFNF

Headphoneus Supremus
Got mine working as DAC with a Samsung Note 3. Sounds good for the most part, but there are some small ticks/hiccups heard when navigating and switching songs...
blink.gif

Also, on the wheel protector install, don't forget to press firmly, most of these use PSA type which is Pressure Sensitive Adhesive. My first one popped off cause I forgot that last step. But the one on there now has been there for months with no issues.

Aug 31, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #2,755 of 7,123

husafreak

100+ Head-Fier
Nice, @husafreak! Were you able to get the 6S to work without needing the USB hub?

No, if I connect directly without the USB hub I get the error message saying the DAC is drawing too much power. When I put the unpowered USB hub back in the chain it plays. This does not make much sense!
I am trying to see who is powering all this but it looks like the iPhone is. The QP1R is showing a charging symbol and holding its % charge better than the iPhone.

I played Joe Jackson's Diva Junkie back and forth a few times, no contest! The QP1R just opens everything up and fleshes out the details. The iPhone seems a little monochromatic in comparison. Squeeze Cradle To The Grave is sounding pretty fine right now as well.

Aug 31, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #2,756 of 7,123

moedawg140

No, if I connect directly without the USB hub I get the error message saying the DAC is drawing too much power. When I put the unpowered USB hub back in the chain it plays. This does not make much sense!
I am trying to see who is powering all this but it looks like the iPhone is. The QP1R is showing a charging symbol and holding its % charge better than the iPhone.

I played Joe Jackson's Diva Junkie back and forth a few times, no contest! The QP1R just opens everything up and fleshes out the details. The iPhone seems a little monochromatic in comparison. Squeeze Cradle To The Grave is sounding pretty fine right now as well.

It makes sense.  The iPhone does not have power on its own to be used with an external DAC/amp (at least the several that I have tried with it).  You need a device that is powerful enough on it's own to work without needing external power.  A workaround is to create your own "handshake", where you are "tricking" the internal system of the iPhone 6 to show that there is powerful enough.  That could be with use of a USB hub and a power source (USB outlet or external battery pack), or a 2-port Hub that worked for the Grace m9XX (before they updated the software to work without it), without having to use an external power source.

Aug 31, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #2,757 of 7,123

husafreak

100+ Head-Fier
OK cool, it's a neat trick!
Yeah it looks like the iPhone is powering everything.
I eventually found a guide showing the different types of USB cable plugs which was very helpful. And of course the earlier link to a page that convinced me the "CCK" and Apple camera cables were the same thing. I didn't want to blow $30 on the wrong cable :wink:

Aug 31, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #2,758 of 7,123

moedawg140

Honestly moedawg140 I think most of my confusion was over all these different USB connector types. I found this web guide very helpful: www.cablestogo.com/learning/connector-guides/usb
And of course the earlier link to a page that convinced me the "CCK" and Apple camera cables were the same thing. I didn't want to blow $30 on the wrong cable :wink:

No, it's my confusion!  I need to change the original connection post and change the letters.  My apologies! 

Yeah, Apple CCK cable is exactly what it is, an Apple CCK cable - there is only one, as show below:

Aug 31, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #2,759 of 7,123

moedawg140

Updated iPhone 6 to QP1R firmware USB DAC connection instructions post:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/778877/review-questyle-audio-qp1r-with-multiple-headphone-and-iem-pairings/2685#post_12824948

Aug 31, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #2,760 of 7,123

husafreak

100+ Head-Fier
When my iPhone got down to 15% battery I plugged the Belkin hub back in to its wall wart and that stopped the drain on the iPhone but it is not charging the iPhone. It is powering everything from the wall outlet now. It is charging the QP1R too. So the good thing about the Belkin is it is very small and light but the bad thing is it can only be powered by its own wall wart and barrel plug. On the go listening will be restricted by the iPhone battery.

Users who are viewing this thread