REVIEW: Purity Audio K.I.C.A.S. Caliente home headphone amp - updated with comments on regular KICAS
May 6, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #301 of 395

HeadphoneAddict

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Posts
17,429
Likes
797
Quote:

Originally Posted by djevoultion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all your help, It seems the Caliente would be a good match for the K701.

What about the DAC portion of the D3 would that be a good match?

D3 DAC > Caliente AMP > K701.



The D3 DAC should be fine to feed the Caliente.
 
May 7, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #302 of 395

theBigD

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 8, 2007
Posts
588
Likes
11
Got my Green Caliente today. Cant believe how much smaller and lighter it is than C2C. Powered it up, listened for a few seconds, sounds pretty good. Hope the bass blooms a bunch. Sounds just a little edgy out of the box with a relatively wide soundstage. So now I plan to burn in for a week.

How long does it take for burn in?
 
May 7, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #303 of 395

Skylab

Reviewerus Prolificus
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Posts
21,807
Likes
1,007
Location
The Court of the Crimson King
I would give it at least 120 hours.
 
May 8, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #304 of 395

K3cT

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 1, 2007
Posts
2,473
Likes
47
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my Green Caliente today. Cant believe how much smaller and lighter it is than C2C. Powered it up, listened for a few seconds, sounds pretty good. Hope the bass blooms a bunch. Sounds just a little edgy out of the box with a relatively wide soundstage. So now I plan to burn in for a week.

How long does it take for burn in?



That is something I'm looking forward to. The Caliente might suit the Denon well as the warmth could fill its rather neutral midrange.
 
May 8, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #305 of 395

theBigD

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 8, 2007
Posts
588
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is something I'm looking forward to. The Caliente might suit the Denon well as the warmth could fill its rather neutral midrange.


The C2C for sure does this! Very lush midrange.
 
May 9, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #306 of 395

nadavnaz

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Posts
432
Likes
14
Argh,

My uncle is bringing me K701's and a K.I.C.A.S Caliente from abroad (to save on shipping and avoid VAT and taxes in Israel...

He emailed me saying the k701's is too big to carry with the box, but I had to insist on the box so they don't break.

Do you guys think the KICAS caliente would be okay if wrapped inside some clothes for protection? (without the box)...
 
May 9, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #307 of 395

slypher

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 17, 2008
Posts
156
Likes
10
It should be OK it is well built and as long as it is wrapped well I would imagine it would be fine.
 
May 9, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #308 of 395

BushGuy

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 26, 2005
Posts
3,000
Likes
10
Frankly, if I were your uncle - both would be in my luggage. No original boxes would be used.........and a pair of Triple Fi or Klipsch Images x10 would be in my jacket pocket
smily_headphones1.gif


K.I.C.A.S.- I've been preferring to use my Caliente with RS-1 /flats. Received Pico dac yesterday and had gotten male/male RCA couplers for it. Found the spacing to use the couplers only good with KICAS (amongst my amps)........ so, connected the Pico dac with KICAS and finding it kicks this setup up a good notch.........and the dac isn't burned-in at all. I'd gotten into my mind the idea to make the jump to the $5k British amp .........not so sure now.
 
May 9, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #309 of 395

theBigD

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 8, 2007
Posts
588
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nadavnaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Argh,

My uncle is bringing me K701's and a K.I.C.A.S Caliente from abroad (to save on shipping and avoid VAT and taxes in Israel...

He emailed me saying the k701's is too big to carry with the box, but I had to insist on the box so they don't break.

Do you guys think the KICAS caliente would be okay if wrapped inside some clothes for protection? (without the box)...



The amp might be ok without a box. But K701s are fragile. Make sure those are packed right or else you will have two white orbes and a broken headand.
 
May 9, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #310 of 395

sbulack

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 12, 2003
Posts
2,177
Likes
16
Quote:

Originally Posted by nadavnaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...My uncle is bringing me K701's and a K.I.C.A.S Caliente...


And the 2009 Uncle Of The Year Award goes to ............... (open envelope)
nadavnaz' uncle.
( and the crowd goes insane )
 
May 9, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #311 of 395

nadavnaz

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Posts
432
Likes
14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And the 2009 Uncle Of The Year Award goes to ............... (open envelope)
nadavnaz' uncle.
( and the crowd goes insane )



Indeed
k701smile.gif


Thanks for the great review by the way! You, Tbonner and Skylab really helped me make the final decision.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Frankly, if I were your uncle - both would be in my luggage. No original boxes would be used.........and a pair of Triple Fi or Klipsch Images x10 would be in my jacket pocket
smily_headphones1.gif



Hell yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The amp might be ok without a box. But K701s are fragile. Make sure those are packed right or else you will have two white orbes and a broken headand.


Yup. I asked him to keep them in their box even though it's big... A metal box should be okay between some clothes, but a weird plastic sculpture would be fragile
k701smile.gif
would turn into a frown.


Thanks guys. I'm anxious to get it already!
 
May 13, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #312 of 395

theBigD

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 8, 2007
Posts
588
Likes
11
OK Caliente has around 140 hrs. last 24hr it changed radically OMG where did this BASS come from! Gonna give it a day or so and then do a review between c2c and caliente. They are both amazing amps and this should be pretty interesting.
 
May 13, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #313 of 395
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Posts
359
Likes
10
Good to hear BigD. Are you referring to the Denons?

I've been really busy myself lately, so I've had almost no time to sit and listen to my HD650s, but I have been putting some hours on them with pink noise intermittently throughout the last few weeks. It'll be interesting to give 'em a critical listen when I get the chance. I'd estimate that they're close to 300 hours or so.
 
Jun 7, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #314 of 395

nadavnaz

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Posts
432
Likes
14
Just to add to the Kicas' already great reputation...

IT FELL TODAY. My cat took it down, 1 meter to solid ground with a nice sound. Nothing fell apart broke or changed, the amp is functioning like nothing happened. I guess when it's clean and simple there's nothing to break really... It's clean and simple being discrete, but just as well in terms of design: no huss and fuss to stick more crappy buttons and useless knobs on this thing. It fell together with my emu 0404usb, which surprisingly took the fall quite well, with only the direct montior knob falling off. It's really easy to attach it so nothing's wrong. I've gotta say this had been like therapy for me, cured me of some of my fear of equipment damage.
 
Jun 21, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #315 of 395

tattoou2

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 18, 2004
Posts
2,202
Likes
25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nadavnaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to add to the Kicas' already great reputation...

IT FELL TODAY. My cat took it down, 1 meter to solid ground with a nice sound. .



Naughty kitty!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top