Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Aug 17, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #2,777 of 3,234
Skylab, great review.  Thanks!

When I had the two prototype Stepdances here for a quick listen a few months ago, one of them really struck a chord with me and would be a tier 1 amp for me as well.  When I spoke to Jan he agreed with me on which version should go into production, and it looks like it will be a hit.  I think it was actually a little more natural sounding than a balanced Protector which has a little coloration in the upper mids, although I still really like my balanced Protector for HD600, HE-5 and JH13Pro.  And it had loads of power for full size cans.

I do wish it had the crossfeed, but when I do use my 3MOVE or Headfive I only use the crossfeed about 25% of the time anyway.  So, what hadphones did you use with the Stepdance, and did you try any IEM with it?

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #2,778 of 3,234
@ Roscoeiii:  I did not try that pairing (too many headphones, too little time).  Many of you may not be aware that I use an SPL meter to do precise level-matching for all my comparisons, which takes quite a bit of effort, so I do not tend to try every amp with every headphone
wink_face.gif
  That said, since you asked, I will try to try that shortly.

@ HA: Thanks Larry!  I felt the same way you did about the prototypes (and for clarity, the version I have now is not the prototype, but an early production unit).  I actually listed the headphones I used above - no IEM's, sorry - I don't own any
biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #2,780 of 3,234
Nice review as usual Skylab, I'm surprise that the new Stepdance can achive that level.

also, have you ever compared any high level portable amp to some compact desktop amps like Crossroad Edge, Corda Swing or maybe Linearossa K3?.

Aug 18, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #2,782 of 3,234
----

A nice touch is that Jan include free shipping anywhere in the world. (For someone like me living in Asia, it makes a big difference compared with products that I have bought from other vendors.)

Aug 18, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #2,783 of 3,234
Thanks all! 

@ Coop, thanks for the correction, I will fix. 

@ The MiddleSky - I don't have any "affordable" desktop amps here at the moment.  The Stepdance, as good at it is, was no match for the Concerto
wink_face.gif

Aug 18, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #2,784 of 3,234
I was loaned the Stepdance for a month a while back, and mostly use IEMs.  I have a set of TF10s and SF5s, and used both.  My son has a pair of Shure 210s (or something like that).  The happiest day of my summer was when Skylab said I could keep the Stepdance for another week.  The saddest day was when I had to return it.  As for Skylab's review, I agree and was blown away by the sound from this unit.  As for sound from the unit, I listened to female artists as the sound was so good I was doing something I never like to do, repeat a song (immediately).  :)   Great review Skylab and thanks for letting have such an experience.

B

Aug 18, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #2,785 of 3,234
Rob,

Thanks for the review.  Got a question related to battery play time.   Does the amp have a low current/high current mode?  Do you have some estimate as to how many hours the battery lasted?  

Aug 18, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #2,786 of 3,234
There are gain settings in the Stepdance, but I am not sure how they effect consumption.  And no, I have not really tried to estimate battery life exactly, no.

Aug 18, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #2,787 of 3,234

Rob I have a suggestion, how about adding the name of the last amp you reviewed to the end of the thread title.  Maybe add "Latest amp reviewed:<amp name>"

This thread is bumped up many times a week and it is harder for people to know if there is a new review or just the regular back and forth posting between members.  Adding the recently reviewed amp name in the title will give members a heads up on the most current amp reviewed.  Just a suggestion. Thanks for the review!  

Aug 19, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #2,788 of 3,234
That is a great suggestion!  Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back