Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
May 3, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #1,906 of 3,234
Skylab,

Thanks for the tremendous efforts, this will no doubt help a lot of people, myself included.

I have some questions.

I didn't want to amp my portable at the expense of portability, but I was recently impressed with the size of the iBasso T1/T2.

You mentioned that you prefer T1 over T2, but you rank the T2 higher. What is it that makes T2 better than T1?

I was told by a local shop that T2 is no more powerful than T1. The difference is the T2 comes with magnetic shielding, gain switch and of course, different sound signature. So it seems that it is more of a matter of preference than general superiority?

I am using a Sony NWZ-A816 and an Etymotic ER-4P. The ER-4P sounds better and fuller when plugged into my Rotel preamp and my external sound card. So it seems that it is begging for more power.

I once had a chance of driving my Sony EX70 with the T1, it get loud enough but didn't go insanely loud with such a low impedance phone. I wonder if it has enough juice for my ER-4P? Also if the T1/T2 is significantly more powerful than my Sony DAP?

I want a neutral and transparent sound, may be with a tad warmer midrange. With the phone out of my Sony DAP my ER-4P sounds a tad harsh and cold for me. Would the T1 or the T2 help? and Which would suits me better?

Wow what a long questions.
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #1,907 of 3,234
I never had the T1 and T2 at the same time, and nowhere in the review do I say I like the T1 better. There are ways in which I felt the T1 might have been better (like being more neutral). Some may prefer the warmer sound of the T2 though, and based on your post, you might be one of them.

That said, going with a RSA Tomahawk or Meier XXS will really not diminish portability and will provide FAR better sound.

May 3, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #1,908 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back to the Voyager, so when the contour switch is engaged there's both a boost in bass and treble? I thought it was only a bass boost. So how badly does it brighten the sound?

Also, another reviewer said the Voyager was about "Bass, bass, bass, full mind and more bass" I don't get that impression from your review. Is it, saw, darker than a RS-71? It sounds like a bright amp from your description of possessing a treble emphasis. Not what I expected to hear.

The contour switch on the Voyager does indeed seem to boost low frequencies and higher ranges also
but the sound seems much more 'balanced' due to this. Compare this to turning the bass boost on
the Lisa - the sound just gets progressively flooded with bass. I'm not bashing the Lisa here,
the Lisa is a great amp and it's bass control does just what it was designed to do.
The contour on the Voyager works differently and produces a much punchier, impactful bass.

It's hard to explain and do the sound justice - you really need to hear it.

To be honest, for my ears, OICDN described the Voyager beautifully.

May 4, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #1,909 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back to the Voyager, so when the contour switch is engaged there's both a boost in bass and treble? I thought it was only a bass boost. So how badly does it brighten the sound?

Also, another reviewer said the Voyager was about "Bass, bass, bass, full mind and more bass" I don't get that impression from your review. Is it, saw, darker than a RS-71? It sounds like a bright amp from your description of possessing a treble emphasis. Not what I expected to hear.

The Contour switch, is located on the right hand side of the amp in front of the USB port (power only). This particular Contour switch uses the Fletcher-Munson curve. You can read more about it in places like: Fletcher–Munson curves - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia or at Fletcher-Munson Curve Explanation

Personally I find that the Contour switch will appeal to the bassheads and for some headphones it might add a sense of bass if the can is known for lacking bass. For example it is useful at times w/ the AKG K501. But even in the K501 it can become overpowering in high volumes or w/ certain recordings. I do not use it much but some of you may love it.

May 4, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #1,910 of 3,234
The contour switch was meant to cater for on-the-road listening with normal ear phones to compensate for possible interference of surrounding noise by putting more emphasis on certain frequencies. If one read the manual of the Voyager, actually Graham Slee recommends NOT to use this switch when you are listening through a high-end headphone and in a quiet environment. This will give a flatter response.

I have been listening to the Voyager for some time, and honestly I only listened with the contour switch on for less than 30 minutes. That's all. Fo the rest of the time, I have the switch in off position.

The Voyager is one very capable portable amp. Regardless what the reviews say I think it is one of the best portable amps out there in the market. It does take a very long time to settle down and mine has over 700 hours before I feel it is right.

I also don't think it is meaningful to compare the Voyager to the likes of Xin Reference, iQube, or LISA III and others. The fact is they have different characters with different headphones and music types. I have a hard time deciding which one to keep (I own the Reference, Voyager, iQube, LISA III at the same time) but at the end the Voyager is one of the amps I intend to keep.

FWIW.
F. Lo

May 4, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #1,911 of 3,234
Great review!

My amp is a Crossroads Amp (never seen this in print or on the net) which I purchased at Jaben in Singapore when I was on a business trip there. Jaben by the way is amazing, lucky people in Singapore they have tons of portable and tube amps, lots of headphones. It's cramped and chaotic and the young guys running around really seem to have no clue of what's going on but they are good guys and I wish I could go there to upgrade and thank them.

Anyway I bought the Headphonia Lyrix as I thought the Crossroads was not that good because it was like only 40 Euros or something (85 Singapore dollars). However the Crossroads was very lush and full sounding while the Lyrix for my taste was way too neutral so I sent it back for a refund. Robert from Headphonia requested a look at this amp, I loant it to him and he said it was basically a CMOY amp and I should upgrade to a better headphone. I am happy though with the crossroads and will keep it.

So anyway if you do get to try a Crossroads, do so, I am curious to see what others think of it, even if it's not a popular brand (but maybe a popular design).

May 4, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #1,912 of 3,234
EXCELLENT EXCELLENT review Skylab

was just wondering whether the price difference between the Corda XXS and the 2Move is worth it?

i am stuck between the XXS/Headsix and the 2Move.

I am going to use it with my UE sf5p and am looking to get a set of AKGK701 or Beyer DT880 in the future as well. Will either of the Meier amps power these sufficiently from an ipod classic?

Anyway, is the extra cash for the 2Move worth it? I am not sure how much the crossfeed will mean for me, so can you please just give me a few tips and pointers on what it does?

I listen to normal pop music and RnB music so nothing out of the ordinary. I just heard that the crossfeed is beneficial for older distinct STEREO music?

Please give me a few suggestions.

Thanks for your time

May 4, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #1,914 of 3,234
@ nismohks: Thanks! I find that crossfeed does enhance headphone imaging. I personally find that the 2Move sounds just enough better to make the price difference worth it, but the XXS is very good, and if the extra money is a stretch, then I would just go with that.

@ keiron99: I was too involved in work this week to keep up on the forums, sorry about that! I define "image specificity" as how solid and believable the stereo soundstage is. A stable image will have clearly defined instruments that can be placed easily in the soundstage and that this does not erode as the music changes.

May 4, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #1,915 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ nismohks: Thanks! I find that crossfeed does enhance headphone imaging. I personally find that the 2Move sounds just enough better to make the price difference worth it, but the XXS is very good, and if the extra money is a stretch, then I would just go with that.

That is good to hear. I just want to justify what i am spending thats all.

Is the 2Move powerful enough to drive big cans such as the AKG701 or Beyer DT880 or something similar? I want to be able to use the amp as a multipurpose unit of sorts until i save enough for a home amp.

For the crossfeed, i see there are 2 settings. What do they mean?

Also, what is the best way to burn in amps? Can i just plug it into a pc (so i dont have to buy countless batteries just to do this) and feed music into it for days on end? Do i also need to plug in headphones?

Once again thanks a lot. Your help is much appreciated!

May 4, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #1,916 of 3,234
The 2Move has 2 gain settings, so it will have enough power to drive headphones like that, to the extent any battery-powered portable will (home amps will always do a better job with big cans like that).

The crossfeed settings are on and off
smily_headphones1.gif

And I use music to burn in audio gear.

May 4, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #1,917 of 3,234
but i will still notice a considerable difference between using the amp and not using the amp for big cans from my ipod correct?

How much difference (or should i say what can be experienced) by turning it on?

Does using USB power make the sound quality decrease? i ask because you can only get 5V from the USB compared to the 9V with the battery.

So i take it the easiest way to burn in is just use a pc, plug it in, music and let it go for a few days?

Thanks for your patience to noobs like me :p

May 4, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #1,918 of 3,234
1. Yes
2. Only you can answer that
3. Yes
4. Yes
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #1,920 of 3,234
In that price range you might try the GoVibe 7, Leckerton Audio, or if you can, find a Meier Headsix or XXS used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back