Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14]
Aug 20, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #646 of 756
Definitely don't like the look if the L2 compared to the L1. Appreciate what was said above about amps. I can definitely report that the X1 sounds better through the project starlight, but an L1 through a e17 may not sound very different. I still like the ability to use it as a DAC out of my work computer and also like the bass/treble boost/reduction capabilities regardless of the app I'm using for music.

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #647 of 756
Has anyone done a comparison of the L1 to the Momentum (over-ear)?

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #648 of 756
I would be interested to hear the L2 as I find the L1 to be a bit too "dark". As for amplification, I am very satisfied using the headphone as is. Very happy with the sound wether it be coming from my laptop, iphone, or dac. Very versatile which is one of the main reasons I've held on to it.

Aug 21, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #650 of 756

Got these in for a portable/work setup, have listened for a few hours. Seems like the L1 is tuned for dubstep and other bass oriented electronic music. Sounds great for them. However, other genres are clouded by the amount of bass. For them, a -2 or -4db bass setting on the e17 works wonders, though I don't like having to use it to fix the sound. I'll probably use these as my portable/work set for now and then try the L2 when it comes out since it's supposed to be less bassy.

Aug 21, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #651 of 756
Shredder, thanks for your impressions.

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #652 of 756
So I purchased the fidelio L1 (while I wait for my v-moda m100 to arrive) and I'm really liking it! But I think my nexus 4 isn't capable of driving it fully cause even at the highest volume it sounds very low depending on the music playing, the same does not happen on the monster turbine that I have. I'm using Poweramp and if I increase the Preamp setting it gets louder but it sounds awful! It does sound better when connected to my pc. Now what I'm most worried about is that the fidelio has an impedance of 26 Ohm (compared to 18 Ohm on the turbine) and the M-100 that I'm planning to buy is 32 Ohm. So is it going to sound even worse? Or are there other factors that also matter in this regard?

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #653 of 756
Aug 30, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #655 of 756
Quote:
It looks like they are trying to refresh their line up.

New Philips model is coming!
http://www.philips.nl/c/hoofdtelefoon/voor-over-het-oor-zwart-shp9500_00/prd/nl/;jsessionid=EDF5981D65B8F1769BE1F8B94C7763BB.app121-drp1

Pricing and design will be similiar to the L1.(around 150€)
I guess its predecessor was the SHP9000.
I've heard only the SHP8000 with metal music in Saturn.Not bad at all for 50€, but it was to bass heavy for me.

Thanks for the news. It's a beautiful design, I hope they sound great too.

Sep 1, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #656 of 756
I should be picking up a L1 tomorrow, we'll see if it can surpass the MDR-1R I have now.
Quote:

I might want to add: A headphone amp does exactly what the name says. It amplifies power. There is no sound in power. Personally, I think all differences people perceive with different amps are from the subconsciousness because you like the build, weight or you just feel like spending money has to be an improvement. Personally, these factors play a role for me too, because when I like a product, the reactions in my brain are different and thus I subjectively perceive sound differently.

If you are asking which amp pairs best, how they sound different, I am sorry to say that they are the same. Take the one which you think looks best. Physically speaking, differences will not be audible unless one amp has obvious flaws (e.g. high OI, hiss, noise, cracking).

I have heard differences in desktop amps, depending on their output power and the max power input of a headphone. Like overdriving a Grado with twice the power it can handle caused me a strident and untamed sound compared to listening on the same dac and a lower power source. The HE-500 sounds better out of the NFB 5 vs portable amps/low power amps due to being insensitive.

But yeah, I've never heard much difference between amps at all on easy to drive phones most of the time.

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #657 of 756
The L1 has become my favorite set for electronic music. The sub bass is wonderful.

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #658 of 756
I definitely prefer the L1 to the MDR-1R mainly on the value of its warmer bassier presentation. I never listen to the same music out of the house as when I'm home. Mainly Kpop, Pop (stuff like Ellie Goulding, Charli XCX, Lorde etc) followed by Future Pop, Techno, Hip Hop/Rap (not the radio variety), Underground modern rock while out. I'm very much enjoying these phones for that type of music a hell of a lot. More than I remember for the Momentum or UE6000.

All round technically at least as good as the MDR-1r and just as comfortable for me. Better build and better looks (subjective).

Main thing to note is that the treble is fairly rolled off for some modern rock, cymbals a little distant. Bass guitar is nicely textured and detailed. Guitars definitely not Grado esque or super energetic from the X3.

Semi open was no problem for me or anyone else on the train today on the way back from purchasing the Phones and I was cranking it.

Sep 2, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #659 of 756
Quote:
I definitely prefer the L1 to the MDR-1R mainly on the value of its warmer bassier presentation. I never listen to the same music out of the house as when I'm home. Mainly Kpop, Pop (stuff like Ellie Goulding, Charli XCX, Lorde etc) followed by Future Pop, Techno, Hip Hop/Rap (not the radio variety), Underground modern rock while out. I'm very much enjoying these phones for that type of music a hell of a lot. More than I remember for the Momentum or UE6000.

All round technically at least as good as the MDR-1r and just as comfortable for me. Better build and better looks (subjective).

Main thing to note is that the treble is fairly rolled off for some modern rock, cymbals a little distant. Bass guitar is nicely textured and detailed. Guitars definitely not Grado esque or super energetic from the X3.

Semi open was no problem for me or anyone else on the train today on the way back from purchasing the Phones and I was cranking it.

I agree. For bassier music, these are perfect. For rock, indie etc. I use a slight EQ curve starting at 500Hz and moving down to a low of -3db at 125Hz, then back up for the sub bass.  I find the bass covering the mids a bit for these genres without that curve.  The semi-open shouldn't be a problem for anyone, I'd actually call them "barely" open. They sound 80% closed to me, even a bit congested like a closed set at times.

Nov 1, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #660 of 756
If anyone is looking to pick up the L1, I'm selling mine at nice price here: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/688371/fs-philips-fidelio-l1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back