Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14]
Feb 20, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #136 of 756

Quote:
I was between this and the a FA 011, I ended up going with the FA11 but really do not enjoy the headband at all.  I absolutely love the sound though, I never got a chance to hear this philips model and want to hear it and compare it with the FA 011.  If anyone has heard both and can comment, please let me know your thoughts on the two.

I have the FA 011 as well. I agree, it sounds amazing, but it's not the most comfortable thing in the world. I would REALLY love 90º rotating cups for when I have it around my neck. I wondered myself how similar these 2 are.

Feb 21, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #138 of 756
I really don't need another pair of headphones, but if these drop in price I might have to replace my SRH840s with them; they're bound to be more comfortable and they definitely seem better built.

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #139 of 756

Quote:
There was no sound demo disc with mine so that may just be for Hong Kong.

I bought mine here (in Hong Kong) and it didn't come with the sound demo disc.  I think it's just certain places or that one guy got lucky.

Just reading some of the other people's reviews/impressions.  Very interesting to me reading about mids and bass warmth and such. Obviously I'm not an audiophile by a long shot and can't really say if something is warm or has sibilance etc. etc. I just like quality sound and music.  So to me the bass doesn't seem too strong at all.  It seems just right.  It's certainly less than my UE Triplefi 10s.

I guess that's all subjective isn't it.  
wink_face.gif

I wonder sometimes if you audiophiles sometimes lose the joy of music because you're listening too hard.  It's like photography (which I do professionally) sometimes you can get hooked up in the white balance, cropping, noise etc. etc. and forget to look at the picture itself.  Just thinking out loud.  
smile.gif

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #140 of 756
Sounds like I'll have to wait a bit longer in the UK, or I may ask my German colleagues to get it for me.

By the way, what is the country of origin for the L1? Is it made in China? Or some where in Europe?

Feb 22, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #141 of 756

Quote:

I wonder sometimes if you audiophiles sometimes lose the joy of music because you're listening too hard.

That's definitely true. I notice many people lose focus about the actual sound of a headphone over tiniest details. It's even more apparent on a German forum. :wink:

You can easily link this discussion to dynamic IEM vs. BA.

I used to be like that too. I'm happy the Philips manages to pull me away from that.

Feb 22, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #142 of 756

Well, first and foremost I am a music lover. Music is playing at my house about 90% of the time one way or another. I do not listen to music in order to disect its every purity or fault, I listen for the enjoyment of it. The problem for me is that this pair of L1s with my gear is producing a fairly large deep bass boost that is detracting from the music. Like I said in the review, too much of a good thing can be bad. This boosted deep bass distracts from the rest of the music and becomes fatigueing to my ears after just ten minutes. The Pioneer HDJ-2000 with the Moon Audio Blue Dragon v3 cable plays fairly deep yet the bass is in balance with the rest of the music making it easy to listen to. I am very glad that the L1s are perfect for your listening and I stated in my review that I am sure some people would love them.

To say that "you audiophiles" just don't know how to appreciate the music because you are listening too hard is a load of crap. 1. The Pioneers are not audiophile headphones, they are dj headphones that don't have that dj boosted bass. 2. I have seen grown men cry listening to music on my stereo system that they thought they knew well simply stunned by the beauty revealed. If that isn't in service to the music then I don't know what is.
Quote:

I bought mine here (in Hong Kong) and it didn't come with the sound demo disc.  I think it's just certain places or that one guy got lucky.

Just reading some of the other people's reviews/impressions.  Very interesting to me reading about mids and bass warmth and such. Obviously I'm not an audiophile by a long shot and can't really say if something is warm or has sibilance etc. etc. I just like quality sound and music.  So to me the bass doesn't seem too strong at all.  It seems just right.  It's certainly less than my UE Triplefi 10s.

I guess that's all subjective isn't it.  
wink_face.gif

I wonder sometimes if you audiophiles sometimes lose the joy of music because you're listening too hard.  It's like photography (which I do professionally) sometimes you can get hooked up in the white balance, cropping, noise etc. etc. and forget to look at the picture itself.  Just thinking out loud.  
smile.gif

Feb 22, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #143 of 756

While this may be true of some, I really don't see how anyone would put my review in that camp.

Quote:

That's definitely true. I notice many people lose focus about the actual sound of a headphone over tiniest details. It's even more apparent on a German forum. :wink:

You can easily link this discussion to dynamic IEM vs. BA.

I used to be like that too. I'm happy the Philips manages to pull me away from that.

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #146 of 756

While this may be true of some, I really don't see how anyone would put my review in that camp.

I don't think the post was directed at you or anyone in particular. Every review so far said the L1 is warm, although I still think it's nicely balanced within this tilt.

Personally, I don't see how the bass is too much. It's punchy, yes, but the bass quantity is nothing but the result of the warm tilt. It's not elevated within this harmonic and relatively straight graph (leaving the 2kHz out of the equation).

Feb 23, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #148 of 756

I don't think the post was directed at you or anyone in particular. Every review so far said the L1 is warm, although I still think it's nicely balanced within this tilt.
Personally, I don't see how the bass is too much. It's punchy, yes, but the bass quantity is nothing but the result of the warm tilt. It's not elevated within this harmonic and relatively straight graph (leaving the 2kHz out of the equation).

Yes I wasn't aiming it at anyone. Just wondering if sometimes people get too hooked up with the analysis of the sound rather than just enjoying music for the sake of music.

No offense intended to anyone. :)

I think sound is really subjective and some people get bothered by different things. Like, to me the bass on the L1 is fine and not a problem. To others it's too strong or whatever. That's cool both ways.

Feb 23, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #149 of 756
Well, first and foremost I am a music lover. Music is playing at my house about 90% of the time one way or another. I do not listen to music in order to disect its every purity or fault, I listen for the enjoyment of it. The problem for me is that this pair of L1s with my gear is producing a fairly large deep bass boost that is detracting from the music. Like I said in the review, too much of a good thing can be bad. This boosted deep bass distracts from the rest of the music and becomes fatigueing to my ears after just ten minutes. The Pioneer HDJ-2000 with the Moon Audio Blue Dragon v3 cable plays fairly deep yet the bass is in balance with the rest of the music making it easy to listen to. I am very glad that the L1s are perfect for your listening and I stated in my review that I am sure some people would love them.

To say that "you audiophiles" just don't know how to appreciate the music because you are listening too hard is a load of crap. 1. The Pioneers are not audiophile headphones, they are dj headphones that don't have that dj boosted bass. 2. I have seen grown men cry listening to music on my stereo system that they thought they knew well simply stunned by the beauty revealed. If that isn't in service to the music then I don't know what is.

Sorry didn't aim my comment at you. Maybe I shouldn't have said "you audiophiles" that sounds rude in hindsight. I appologise for that. I did say I wondered if audiophiles "lose the joy" of music. They certainty appreciate it. Anyway my query was actually genuine as I feel I sometimes lose the joy of a photo by getting too much into the minor details of the image. I wonder if it's sometimes true of audiophiles too, the experts of sound. :)

Feb 23, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #150 of 756
I agree with you Ninja, don't apologize to anyone.  We audiophiles seem to not listen the same way as normal people do, we over think and are too critical, too picky about qualities 99% of the rest of world does not even pay attention to.   I forgot that I loved music and was caught up in just owning the more pure sounding rig I can afford despite it not being the sound I wanted or enjoyed most.  I guess what I mean is that I paid through the nose for a sound signature that I didn't want just to feed my ego or need to simply own the best.  

*walks into the sunset 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back