REVIEW: Ostry KC06
Jul 2, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #2,177 of 2,536
I wouldn't want more bass and less mids as reported is the case of the KC06A, if you guys need subbass from these just do the mod I mention

Jul 2, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #2,178 of 2,536
Got these and I quite like them, they sound just as measured by Tyll, fairly neutral.The flaws are the lack of subbass and sibilance. But I got solutions for both.

First off while the midbass levels are nice on these the bass just felt damped and cut at the lowest tends. From my experience with vent modding I decided to fiddle with both vents.
Simply put blocking the top vent reduces bass and blocking the nozzle vent increases bass, especially subbass. I have covered both vents and placed a pinhole on each and the bass is way better than stock IMO. Treble also seems to change but not quite sure yet, seems less sibilant

So far I've gone with the nozzle vent block/pinhole trick, and I think I like what I'm hearing. Thanks.

Jul 2, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #2,179 of 2,536
  I'm a treble dude.  Wasn't too thrilled with the treble with the Tenores as it sounded smooth to me.  Clarity was good though, but there are QC issues with them as some people are reporting driver degrading, and bass level inconsistancies, and I personally think my drivers degraded over time(I recognize brain burn-in, and this time I don't think it was it).  

I'm curious how the treble is on the Ostray, if it has a good palette?  Not leaving out really thin, micro to nano details?

But what about pico details? If mine can't reproduce pico detail i will probably throw it away, or perhaps step on it with my car to teach it a lesson. 

Jul 2, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #2,180 of 2,536
So far I've gone with the nozzle vent block/pinhole trick, and I think I like what I'm hearing. Thanks.

I actually like doing just that, realized blocking the top vent decreases bass a bit much

Jul 2, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #2,181 of 2,536
Just curious, but what are you guys using to block the vent before prick/pinhole?  Masking tape?  Scotch tape?  Surely not duct tape.

Jul 2, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #2,182 of 2,536
I actually like doing just that, realized blocking the top vent decreases bass a bit much

Actually, I like what I'm hearing so much that when I switched back to my new tenores, I had to get back to the kc06's in fairly quick order lol. Maybe I'll fall back in love with the tenores after a bit of burn in, but the kc06's never disappoint and quite frankly sound awesome to me.

Just curious, but what are you guys using to block the vent before prick/pinhole?  Masking tape?  Scotch tape?  Surely not duct tape.

Crazy glue. Kidding.. scotch tape in my case. Feel like a neurosurgeon trying to cut pieces small enough!

Jul 3, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #2,184 of 2,536
Simply put blocking the top vent reduces bass and blocking the nozzle vent increases bass, especially subbass. I have covered both vents and placed a pinhole on each and the bass is way better than stock IMO. Treble also seems to change but not quite sure yet, seems less sibilant

I never had a problem with silibance..

Definitely notice a change in sub-bass after blocking the nozzle vent.  No pinhole yet, I'll listen for awhile first.  Haha.. totally felt like I was performing surgery.. it's a very tiny space to cover up!

Jul 3, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #2,185 of 2,536
  I never had a problem with silibance..

Definitely notice a change in sub-bass after blocking the nozzle vent.  No pinhole yet, I'll listen for awhile first.  Haha.. totally felt like I was performing surgery.. it's a very tiny space to cover up!

No sibilance here either. Tried my test tracks again and there's no exaggeration of sibilants on my pair. However, the KC06's treble isn't quite as smooth as the Tenore's.

Actually, one of my early posts in this thread talks about modding the front vent (using tips instead of tape though).

Jul 3, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #2,186 of 2,536
Thanks James.  I was aware of your mod as well but like you I loved the stock tuning.  I just wanted to give this a try and yours seemed like more effort than it was worth (at the time).  Even now I'm finding it a bit too bassy.  I like me some sub bass but this is too much!  When I get home I'll pull out the ol' sewing kit and prick a hole and see how that goes.

Jul 3, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #2,187 of 2,536
Did those mods some times ago too, inspired by james' post, I think I posted my finding here some dozens page ago. Found it too bassy or aggressive/peaky no matter how I do I even did pinhole mod and while it help it was still a bit too forward for me so back to stock form it went.

Be interested in any other mod if anyone have something to share though, not sure how else, filter maybe?

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #2,188 of 2,536
I used the scotch tape mod for a few days and found it overly bassy.  Added pinholes yesterday and it sounds a lot better.. but I'm not sure if it sounds better than stock. 

Perhaps I don't care for sub-bass as much as I thought I did. 

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #2,189 of 2,536
  I used the scotch tape mod for a few days and found it overly bassy.  Added pinholes yesterday and it sounds a lot better.. but I'm not sure if it sounds better than stock. 

Perhaps I don't care for sub-bass as much as I thought I did. 

Jm2c, Tyll's graph suggests a more severe roll-off than there's audibly relevant. The KC06 are only 2-3 db down at 30Hz as compared to 100Hz, and there's not much music that actually carries information below 30Hz.

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #2,190 of 2,536
Jm2c, Tyll's graph suggests a more severe roll-off than there's audibly relevant. The KC06 are only 2-3 db down at 30Hz as compared to 100Hz, and there's not much music that actually carries information below 30Hz.

The KC06 didn't bother me in it's subbass levels at all fwiw.

Not even going to pretend like I know what I'm talking about here, but would there be subharmonics or undertones that could be affected ever so slightly, if only to nitpick?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back