REVIEW: Ostry KC06
Jun 17, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #2,146 of 2,536
  I find that the bass hits harder with the Tenore (more punch).  It's possible that the KC06 has tighter bass.

The only way I can get the Tenore's bass to hit harder than KC06 is if I use a deep tip insertion, at which point everything else sounds hollow -- mids/trebles become recessed, feels like I'm in a vacuum standing next to a subwoofer.  Tenore has big issues in terms variation when it comes to how you put them into your ears which makes it difficult to use as on-the-go iem's.  I'll be getting the Meelec Biflanges from you soon though, so we'll see if that changes anything. :)

I'd recommend you try Heir tips (from lunashops) on your KC06. 

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #2,147 of 2,536

The only way I can get the Tenore's bass to hit harder than KC06 is if I use a deep tip insertion, at which point everything else sounds hollow -- mids/trebles become recessed, feels like I'm in a vacuum standing next to a subwoofer.  Tenore has big issues in terms variation when it comes to how you put them into your ears which makes it difficult to use as on-the-go iem's.  I'll be getting the Meelec Biflanges from you soon though, so we'll see if that changes anything. :)

I'd recommend you try Heir tips (from lunashops) on your KC06. 

You may need foam tips on the Tenore. It's a vacuum sealed IEM, which will throw off the sound if your ears can't equalize the pressure with silicone tips. Foam tips don't have this problem.

Jun 17, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #2,150 of 2,536
  For me a week later the kc06a and its cables is still a giant pain in the rear, it has barely straightened out the kinks in itself and pretty much looks the same as when I got them.

The vanilla kc06 that I got from mochill on the other hand have been great and kink free and super awesome. Both sounding great just may depart with the kc06a soon enough and stick with listening to my new noble 4.

How peculiar. The kinks in my cable were gone after a day - I straightened the twist out by tugging on the cable sleeves until they didn't feel like the inner cables were twisted up and then I left them hanging over a chair back for a while. I'm cautious about recommending the tugging thing because I don't think I've managed to explain it well enough that a person won't go yanking on them 'til they break. At any rate, it's still rubbery and looooves wrapping itself around any cables near it when I'm not wearing them. That's odd behaviour I've never had in a cable before, I must say. Found it completely wrapped around my Geek Out and its slacker cable like some sort of snake yesterday. I'm not a pocket-stuffer with IEMs, so it's always either in a case or chilling out on my desk. 

I agree that the cable issue is nitpicking. I said the same thing myself - if I have to be unhappy about anything with the Ostrys, it's with the cable. And I hear there are far more horrific cables out there.So that's quite the compliment to the rest of the package.

I would love a pair of Nobles. Enjoy them! 
etysmile.gif

Oh, and the twisty ties are a good idea for a chin slider. Anything you can wrap around the cables is, really. I find it strange when I read about people being frustrated by a lack of chin-slider when it's a really simple thing to implement yourself. 

Jun 17, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #2,151 of 2,536
The chin slider is a great idea, though it's not what's needed.  For me, I mean I guess I can blame myself?  But sometimes when I'm going from one place to the next I have no choice but to stuff them into my bag, and then I pay dearly for it later on when I'm using them again.  I just wish I didn't have to be punished because I was in a rush earlier.  Though the sound is a reward.. haha!

Jun 19, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #2,152 of 2,536
Just got my KC06A... And I must say i find them a tad too bassy. Instrument separation is a bit congested for my liking, and i would definitely have preferred something more bright... But at the end of the day, this is a great IEM.

Also, to me I feel that by using Heir/Noble audio tips, it improves sound isolation and fit!

Jun 19, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #2,153 of 2,536
Ostry KC06 vs. Zero Audio Carbo Tenore

Today I spent about an hour going back and forth between my KC06 (not KC06A) and the Tenore with various tracks. In short, I ended up preferring the KC06 by a slight margin, but couldn't pick a clear winner. Both of these IEMs are excellent and able to hold their own even against top tiers.

So here's my recommendation to those who're not in a position to buy or even try super expensive IEMs: get both of these, keep the one you prefer and you'll not miss out much, if anything.

Some things to consider:
- Isolation: Tenore wins easily, if you need good isolation, then forget about the KC06.
- Mids: more emphasized and clearer on the KC06. If you're a mids lover, you'll probably prefer them over the Tenores.
- Bass: more deep bass on the Tenores. But even though the KC06 have a tad more mid bass and slam, they steer better clear of the lower mids. Comparatively, the Tenores seem slightly veiled in that range.
- Highs: KC06 aren't bad at all, but the Tenores sound airier and smoother. Simply world-class treble on the Tenores, period.
- Soundstage: Being the less isolating IEMs, the KC06 sound more open. But despite their good isolation, the Tenores offer a very generous stage size.
- Dynamics, depth and layering: This is where both fall a tiny bit short of the best phones I've heard in that regard. KC06 are quite a bit better than the Tenores, the latter feel somewhat restricted in dynamics and depth.
- Detail and separation: very good on both, with slight advantages in their respectively emphasized ranges. (E.g. better intelligibility of vocals on the KC06 due to more mid-emphasis, clearer deep bass lines on the Tenores due to more low-end emphasis.)

That's all I can think of for now. Hope some will find it helpful.
smile_phones.gif

(Disclaimer: there seem to be different versions of the Tenores out there, so your Tenore may not sound the same as mine)

Jun 19, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #2,156 of 2,536
Today I went to audition the universal demo set of 1964 ears custom IEM lineups. The v6-staged especially blew me away. Initially I wanted to get a high end universal dynamic IEM like fx850,Ditas or Fad Heaven v/vi but now I think I will need to save a few more bucks to jump straight on my first set of customs IEM instead. The sound sig of 1964 ears IEM is pretty much like Ostrys but a lot more refined. I ended up listening to the v6-staged for like an hour and a half. The mids and airy vocals is so wow like. Treble extention perfect. Bass extends very deep but still accurate. Sub bass rumble just rumbles as it should. I'm sure with it being customs, the fit and isolation will be near perfect. Instrument separation and soundstage is the best I have ever heard but manage to still be intimate at the same time I do not even know how to describe exactly. Considering its an IEM, the soundstage is like open cans, I swear I hear it like this. ( I do have HD598 which I think the soundstage is very wide and the v6-staged is on par if not better) My source was HTC one with lossless files. I feel that anyone liking the Ostry will definitely love how 1964 ears IEM are tuned . Its like a proper upgrade to the Ostrys. Its like the Ostrys but with all flaws covered up and performs a lot better as it sounds alot more refined to me. I believe that I have found my perfect IEM but its not going to be healthy on my wallet. I probably have to save more and will face eating a lot of ramen noodles for the rest of my semester hahaha

Jun 19, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #2,157 of 2,536
  Today I went to audition the universal demo set of 1964 ears custom IEM lineups. The v6-staged especially blew me away. Initially I wanted to get a high end universal dynamic IEM like fx850,Ditas or Fad Heaven v/vi but now I think I will need to save a few more bucks to jump straight on my first set of customs IEM instead. The sound sig of 1964 ears IEM is pretty much like Ostrys but a lot more refined. I ended up listening to the v6-staged for like an hour and a half. The mids and airy vocals is so wow like. Treble extention perfect. Bass extends very deep but still accurate. Sub bass rumble just rumbles as it should. I'm sure with it being customs, the fit and isolation will be near perfect. Instrument separation and soundstage is the best I have ever heard but manage to still be intimate at the same time I do not even know how to describe exactly. Considering its an IEM, the soundstage is like open cans, I swear I hear it like this. ( I do have HD598 which I think the soundstage is very wide and the v6-staged is on par if not better) My source was HTC one with lossless files. I feel that anyone liking the Ostry will definitely love how 1964 ears IEM are tuned . Its like a proper upgrade to the Ostrys. Its like the Ostrys but with all flaws covered up and performs a lot better as it sounds alot more refined to me. I believe that I have found my perfect IEM but its not going to be healthy on my wallet. I probably have to save more and will face eating a lot of ramen noodles for the rest of my semester hahaha

Remember there is a good possibility that a price increase is in the works for July 1st at 1964.... :)

Jun 19, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #2,158 of 2,536
  Remember there is a good possibility that a price increase is in the works for July 1st at 1964.... :)

Oh crap are you serious? I have 10 days to send in my ear impressions then. I see you have quite a number of TOTL IEM. You even have the v8s. How are they to you? I auditioned them for like 15 mins only because I knew it was way too expensive and out of budget for me but I thought the bass peformance was out of this world lol Its my first time listening to high end gear maybe thats causing me to freak out like this LOL I feel v6staged is more balanced with the v8 more bassy for the bass lovers. Its good in its own unique way. Spending more time with it, you'll begin to appreciate it more with the v8s, because the bass does go to the deepest of lows, strong impact,rumble and all that without compromising the clear mids and detailed highs. 

Sorry guys this is out of topic. I stop here

Jun 19, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #2,159 of 2,536
PM'd

Jun 24, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #2,160 of 2,536
gyx11 compared B3, Tenore, and KC06.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/684159/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-headphones-iems-amps-dacs/4005#post_10658030

Users who are viewing this thread

Back