REVIEW: Ostry KC06
Jun 1, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #2,103 of 2,536
Plus the fx850 and huge and uncomfortable :disappointed:... The dunu dn2000 I can sleep with :yum::sweat_smile:

Ok, thanks for the explanation. I see also that you didn't actually hype the 850's to infinity, so I take that back. 

Jun 1, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #2,104 of 2,536
The 850 is big. Uncomfortable? Depends on the person I suppose.

The KC06 is much lighter. It's actually the first IEM I felt comfortable with laying on my side.
The short barrel does make it uncomfortable at times trying to get a deeper insertion with single tips.

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #2,106 of 2,536
  Every time I do a serious listening with the Havi and the Tenore, I always end up reaching for the Ostrys. The only aspect that the B3 outdid the Ostry is the soundstage but not by a big margin and everything else is taken by the Ostry while the Tenore is too smooth for my taste and lack the details. I find the Ostrys especially the A version more musical and more engaging. As always, YMMV.

Pretty much this.  With all the hype surrounding the Tenore I've been experimenting heavily with insertion methods, trying to get achieve equal sound that users like Luisdent keep raving about.  But at the end of the day, I still find myself reaching for the Ostry KC06 because I know that all I have to do is push those in my ear and get the sound quality that I expect and get every time, consistently. 

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #2,108 of 2,536
Heard Kc06 and tenore via dx90 today (amazing player!), it only help me further away from ever buying tenore. :p

Also heard se215, im50, re400 and re600. I Iike IM50 best out of the bunch but the fitting is nightmarish.

Jun 4, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #2,109 of 2,536
Heard Kc06 and tenore via dx90 today (amazing player!), it only help me further away from ever buying tenore.
tongue.gif

Also heard se215, im50, re400 and re600. I Iike IM50 best out of the bunch but the fitting is nightmarish.

Now I am interested in the dx90. I wanted x5 at first but dyou have the x5 too?

Jun 4, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #2,111 of 2,536
I personally don't find them comfortable when lying on my side. The seal is maintained, but my ears start hurting. My ears are pretty average size, I think. I was hoping for something comfortable enough to fall asleep with, but these aren't it. That said, I'm not actually sure I'd be able to fall asleep with any earphones in. At any rate, it means I won't be destroying them in my sleep.

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #2,112 of 2,536
A big problem I am having with Tenores is the fit/seal/isolation/vacuum.  I've tip rolled to kingdom come.  I've pushed them straight in, paused and waited for equalization, pushed them again, breathed on the tips for moisture, tried shifting up and down to relieve pressure.  I've tried everything there is to try, and I'm not getting them to perform consistently.  Sometimes, they sound absolutely phenomenal -- enough that I would consider leaving my Ostry KC06 at home. 

I would say though, to be fair, that 2-3 times now I have heard Tenore's exceed KC06 in sound.  However as I am almost always on-the-go, those moments are so few and far between because I don't have the patience to find the right seal.  I don't like sitting there fiddling around with them in my hand trying to put them in the "right way", esp when I can grab the KC06 and it sounds the same consistently good 100% of the time. 

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #2,113 of 2,536
A big problem I am having with Tenores is the fit/seal/isolation/vacuum.  I've tip rolled to kingdom come.  I've pushed them straight in, paused and waited for equalization, pushed them again, breathed on the tips for moisture, tried shifting up and down to relieve pressure.  I've tried everything there is to try, and I'm not getting them to perform consistently.  Sometimes, they sound absolutely phenomenal -- enough that I would consider leaving my Ostry KC06 at home. 

I would say though, to be fair, that 2-3 times now I have heard Tenore's exceed KC06 in sound.  However as I am almost always on-the-go, those moments are so few and far between because I don't have the patience to find the right seal.  I don't like sitting there fiddling around with them in my hand trying to put them in the "right way", esp when I can grab the KC06 and it sounds the same consistently good 100% of the time. 

That's one of the things I love about the KC06... Pop them in and they sound great every time . No fiddling about to get a fit/seal..but I did board the hype train and will be picking up my tenores tomorrow.

My main concern is getting a fit/seal ... The Ostry answered my preyers in this respect!

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #2,114 of 2,536
That's one of the things I love about the KC06... Pop them in and they sound great every time . No fiddling about to get a fit/seal..

+1. Still loving my KC06's.

Quote:
..but I did board the hype train and will be picking up my tenores tomorrow.

My main concern is getting a fit/seal ... The Ostry answered my preyers in this respect!

I find it's pretty easy to get a fit/seal with them, but depending on how you do it, the sound changes quite a bit, so it can take some playing around (with tips also) to find the sweet spot. Once there, it's worth it.... as long as your drivers don't periodically start playing at half volume like mine do :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back