REVIEW: Ostry KC06
Mar 29, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #122 of 2,536
How about someone who currently has both in possession (and in working order 
tongue.gif
), james444? Would you agree with mochill's assessment of the KC06 vs. FX850?

Mar 29, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #123 of 2,536
Can you compare with Shure SE215, or Sony MH1C?? 'Cause I'm very interested in this beautiful IEM! I need something with more highs than Shure, lush mids like them, and less midbass in favor of sub bass!

Mar 29, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #125 of 2,536
1+ on making the havi b3proi sound dark and congested :grin::heart_eyes:...just put the on my ears on volume 5 on my hsa studio 3rd anv. And almost went deaf:astonished:...they are so loud and efficient.....and sound quality is on the $400 level.they easily remind me of my fx850 in soundstage and openness and also the clarity level...just need only a little bit more bass and dayum:astonished::dizzy_face:

beerchug.gif

agree
what's your source? use some amping and voila!

Mar 29, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #126 of 2,536
  I doubt the he was comparing with B3 Pro MK1, because that thing is transparent and airy, and isn't dark at all nor sibilant (with Sennheiser tips).
His description sounds like a complete opposite of B3 Pro MK1.
B3 performance is on a level with IE80.

Here's his clarification: 

Just wished to clarify, the HAVI-B3 I purchased through Penon Audio is assuredly the "MKI". The container in which I received them even displayed the red dot, which seems to match up with all descriptions of the correct "MKI" version. Also worth noting, my use of the word dark seems to have been largely misconstrued. There's a reason it was followed by the word "relatively", as the comparison was being made relative to the sound of the KC06.

If you take into consideration that bhazard described the KC06 as "very clear, but a tad bright and slightly bass anemic", personal preferences become obvious.

hopefully C stands for cable cinch.

If it weren't for the missing cable cinch, I'd gushingly recommend these all over head-fi. 
wink.gif

How is it possible that these sound almost on par with my jvc fx850 but tighter in the bass:dizzy_face::astonished::innocent:

The KC06's bass tuning is simply better. The FX850 have well damped and fast bass, but amplitude is sadly overdone. I'm pretty sure they'll show higher bass distortion than the Ostrys when measured. If you try my simple and completely reversible mod on the JVCs, you'll hear that additional front venting brings them closer to the KC06 in bass quantity and clarity (though they'll still remain a bit bassier).

Honestly, bass quality is easily my favorite aspect of the KC06. Their bass tuning is among the most tasteful I've heard from dynamic driver based IEMs at any price point.

Mar 29, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #127 of 2,536
Read thread.. Hard not to feel the hype. Subbed!

Mar 29, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #128 of 2,536
kc06 bass anemic? It could stand a few less db's for quiet inside listening to me but I think for the most part it's tastefully boosted. It's a very solidly tuned iem. Looking forward to hearing about other Ostry offerings.

Mar 29, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #129 of 2,536

The KC06's bass tuning is simply better. The FX850 have well damped and fast bass, but amplitude is sadly overdone. I'm pretty sure they'll show higher bass distortion than the Ostrys when measured. If you try my simple and completely reversible mod on the JVCs, you'll hear that additional front venting brings them closer to the KC06 in bass quantity and clarity (though they'll still remain a bit bassier).

Honestly, bass quality is easily my favorite aspect of the KC06. Their bass tuning is among the most tasteful I've heard from dynamic driver based IEMs at any price point.

How about other aspects besides the bass? Can the KC06 really keep up with the FX850 in terms of mids, treble, resolution, timbre, soundstage, etc.?

Mar 29, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #130 of 2,536

How about other aspects besides the bass? Can the KC06 really keep up with the FX850 in terms of mids, treble, resolution, timbre, soundstage, etc.?

Hard not to be a bit hyped on the KC06's when they are even mentioned in the same sentence as the FX850's - let alone being favourably compared to them!

Mar 29, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #131 of 2,536

Hard not to be a bit hyped on the KC06's when they are even mentioned in the same sentence as the FX850's - let alone being favourably compared to them!

That's what I thought when people were mentioning the FX850 in the same sentence as the Shure SRH1540, AKG K1000, Fostex TH-900, HiFiMAN HE-6, etc.

Plus the fact that james444 really likes them (at least with the bass quantity modded down) with his extensive top-end IEM experience (K3003, 1plus2, IE800, JH13, etc.)

Mar 29, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #134 of 2,536
Very textured bass but slightly less bass impact then the fx850 and everything else is is on par but just the mids are abit more toward then the fx850 which tells you alot how top tier sound quality they produces $400+ level for me:grin::two_hearts::heart_eyes::sunglasses:

Cool. I use either the C&C BH amp or the Fiio E12 amp. I'm wondering (and suspecting) if turning on the amp's bass boost makes the bass sound heavenly for me (works with the Mikros 90's!).

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #135 of 2,536
  Only thing missing on these were the bass impact that I enjoy. I also have an aversion to titanium diaphragms, in both speaker and IEM driver/cavity usage. They always sound slightly more harsh than other types, like polyimide.

Interested in how the KC06A will turn out.

Is it confirmed to have titanium diaphragms? It seems like the descriptions I read mention titanium as material used for the shells ("Ear shell with titanium technology, Silver metal has excellent texture, While the coating has a high hardness, can prevent falls, A collision and other accidents caused by external injuries, Let your earphone steady as new after prolonged use")

Users who are viewing this thread

Back