REVIEW: Ostry KC06
Jan 28, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #2,387 of 2,536
  How does the KC06a compare to the KC06 in your opinion?

I know I wasn't asked but I had both KC06 and KC06A, when I got the KC06A I gave the KC06 away. The A just gave me the elevated bass that I was missing. Depending on your musical taste the KC06 might be perfect, or the KC06A if you are into more modern music, Electro, trance, etc. the A is the way to go....It's an amazing earphone and I listened to it again today for a few hours and I prefer it to many other more expensive IEMs.

Cheers,
K

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #2,388 of 2,536
  How does the KC06a compare to the KC06 in your opinion?

I've had the bass port taped up on the kc06's for a long time which makes them sound quite similar to the kc06a's, so I'll have to refrain from doing that comparison.

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #2,389 of 2,536

I know I wasn't asked but I had both KC06 and KC06A, when I got the KC06A I gave the KC06 away. The A just gave me the elevated bass that I was missing. Depending on your musical taste the KC06 might be perfect, or the KC06A if you are into more modern music, Electro, trance, etc. the A is the way to go....It's an amazing earphone and I listened to it again today for a few hours and I prefer it to many other more expensive IEMs.

Cheers,
K

I do have the KC06a, but they're a bit too bass heavy for me and a little harsh in the treble sometimes. I also wish the mids would be a little more forward sometimes.

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #2,390 of 2,536
  I do have the KC06a, but they're a bit too bass heavy for me and a little harsh in the treble sometimes. I also wish the mids would be a little more forward sometimes.

Then the KC06 would be the perfect fit for you.

cheers,
K

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #2,392 of 2,536
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
Are the KC06 smoother as well in the treble?

If memory serves me well (cough cough ) then the more forward mids take some of the harshness away, if that makes sense...

Jan 28, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #2,393 of 2,536

I've had the bass port taped up on the kc06's for a long time which makes them sound quite similar to the kc06a's, so I'll have to refrain from doing that comparison.

Man.. you know i love my FXD80/70 and all those Nanotubes things.... so, how is the bass of the A's compared to the NanoTeam JVC lineup?

Thanks man.

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #2,394 of 2,536

Man.. you know i love my FXD80/70 and all those Nanotubes things.... so, how is the bass of the A's compared to the NanoTeam JVC lineup?

Thanks man.

It's been a long time since I had my fx70's. I can't say that I was in love with them, so our prefernces are probably different so ymmv. And I always had a hard time getting a good fit/seal. Anyway, I love the bass on the kc06a's. Nice punchy mid-bass, nice sub-bass. Man, kick ass bass to my ears (but I like a fair amount of bass). And overall the instruments sound way more separated than I recall with the fx70's (which I recall sounding kinda 2d like) - they really seem to be in their own space. I don't know if the imaging is accurate, but the way the instruments are floating around in their own space sure sounds cool to me. Wide soundstage. Some people say the kc06's lack soundstage depth, but they sound pretty 3d to me. The highs seem very detailed and energetic to me, but not harsh/dry like I recall with the fx70's.

Edit: the kc06a's do have quite a bit of bass happening. If you like the bass level of the fx70, I would suggest getting the kc06, which still have all of the other qualities of the kc06a's that I described above.

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #2,395 of 2,536
ok, so the bass is not weak. Thanks
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #2,396 of 2,536
Received my replacement KC06 from MP4nation. Very good and prompt service I must say. Accesories are updated: Larger carry pouch, printing on ear tips

Dear god I've missed this IEM. It's so engaging, I can't stop listening. The last time I experienced this was with the RE400 last year, but I love the RE400 for completely different reasons.
Between the RE400/RE272/Ostry KC06 I think i'll have to go beyond the 300$ mark for a true upgrade. 

Ostry.... I am officially a fan. Really looking forward to the KC07. I have very high expectations.

PS: I've just begun to notice: Vocals sound intimate and airy at the same time. Anyone else hear it this way, or am I describing it wrong?

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #2,397 of 2,536
  Received my replacement KC06 from MP4nation. Very good and prompt service I must say. Accesories are updated: Larger carry pouch, printing on ear tips

Dear god I've missed this IEM. It's so engaging, I can't stop listening. The last time I experienced this was with the RE400 last year, but I love the RE400 for completely different reasons.
Between the RE400/RE272/Ostry KC06 I think i'll have to go beyond the 300$ mark for a true upgrade. 

Ostry.... I am officially a fan. Really looking forward to the KC07. I have very high expectations.

PS: I've just begun to notice: Vocals sound intimate and airy at the same time. Anyone else hear it this way, or am I describing it wrong?

How ironic! I also received my kc06 replacements yesterday but from Shenzhen Audio. I haven't opened the new package up yet. I wonder if they will sound any different?

What player are you using for yours? I am using Fiio X3 and Samsung Galaxy 1....

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #2,398 of 2,536
How ironic! I also received my kc06 replacements yesterday but from Shenzhen Audio. I haven't opened the new package up yet. I wonder if they will sound any different?

What player are you using for yours? I am using Fiio X3 and Samsung Galaxy 1....

My previous set had channel imbalance (only in the subbass), so the replacement pair does sound slightly different to me.

I'm using my trusty sansa clip zip and my LG G2. The ostry is so very sensitive I'm running it at 60% of my normal listening volume setting.

The larger carry pouch is a very welcome change. The old pouch was so small it was silly.

Feb 23, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #2,399 of 2,536
Personally found the 6A too bright [As did Unity it seems], here is a graph comparison, Red is KC06A, green is KC06

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #2,400 of 2,536
First,  thanks to Ink for selling me the KC06a,  great seller.
Second,  English is not my first language, so i apologize for my bad english and will try me best to give my impressions.

This week i recived KC06, KC06a and VSD3S,  i also got the TTpod1,  Pistons, MH1 and a bunch of cheap Iems.

About the Bass on the KC06
After reading this thread, its a bit misleading all the talk about the lack of bass on the KC06,  i am not a basshead but i dont like iems that are lacking in that area,  i am comming from JVC S500's, i also have Bass heavy headphones like the XB500,  Beats Studio,  and this KC06 have no problems at all with bass.   The A's have more bass, but i am spending more time with the KC06 because the sound is overall more refined,  the Bass has more texture and its easy to listen the diference between the notes of a Bass Guitar and Kickdrum, even the the drum toms.  i was expecting a Iem lacking bass and the reality was diferent.

Ostrys vs Pistons 2.0
After 2 hours listening both, the KC06 and the KC06a, i switched to the Pistons and it sounds horrible, i even thought they where broken so i tried them with all my sources and the music i always listen to. They are not broken,  its that they are a few steps below on SQ compared to the Ostrys.  Bass is a mess, almost like a "one note bass", no texture, no definition,  slow and overpowering.  Overall its sounds like there is a "hole in the mids and sounds a bit "hollow",  soundstage is smaller, the treble is "sparky" and unrefined.  I Bought them from Penon so they are not fakes.
Pistones Personal Score:  6.2

Ostrys Vs TTpod T1
IMHO i always liked the T1 over the Pistons, mids are more foward and the treble is nicer.  But they got nothing on the Ostrys, the even sound "unnatural", the bass is better than the Pistons but not even close to the Ostrys. They sound "cheap" compared to the Ostrys.
TTpod Personal Score:  7

Ostrys vs MH1
The Sonys sounds better than the Pistons and T1's,  but once you listen for a few hours the Ostrys and try the Mh1,  tthe sound is a bit more "thiner", the bass does not have the same quality as the Ostrys, the Ostrys are better than the MH1. I am not sure how to define it, but its like the Ostrys sound has more weight, more witdh.  I dont know how to define in english what i am hearing on the Ostrys, but its like comparing the sound of the Marshall Tube Amp versus a Peavy Solid State 15watts amp,  Those who play guitar may know what i am talking about.  Mh1 sound nice, but i got spoiled with the Ostrys.
MH1 Personal Score 7.3

Ostrys vs Vsonics VSD3S
I am still burning tht VS, so the only opinion so far is that the treble is a bit "Sparky",  i will burn them 100 hours just in case it helps,  but i doubt it.  No score for now.

Ostrys Vs Monoprice
Are you joking?   i have 4 MP,  i learned about "tip rolling" with thos iems,  i learned about comply tips and even bought "Radians" to make a custom fit.  Got to be the most overrated iem i have ever bought,  its sounds decent even with the best seal i found.  If you are poor,  a cheap person buy them but they are not worthy when you fact in that you need to buy tips.  Even after buying/finding the correct tip and seal,  the housing is huge and hurts my ears,  the cable is the worst nightmare ever,  i would rather buy a cheap JVC iem like the FX67 thatn those MP.
I wont even bother giving them a score.

IMHO and my personal preferences,  Both Ostrys are the better phones i have and i would score them with a 8.5 in my personal scale.   Its like coming from 21 inch plasma with a 800x720 resolution and  buying a new 60inch TV with an ultra high definition.

I am very happy after buying the Ostrys,  its a big step foward on SQ over all my old phones.  I am going to buy the Havi's and give my impressions as soon as i get them.  So if you are like me, coming from Pistons,  TTpods and all that stuff and you are still on the fance not knowing if you should jump, get down, sell a few things and buy the Ostrys, they are worth every penny and even more, SQ is way better.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back