[REVIEW] Ortofon EQ-5 and Grado GR8: Battle of the Moving Armatures
Jul 19, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #16 of 38
Quote:
Nice review. The e-Q5 you have are the one with laser engraved "ortofon" word ?

Thanks man. It is engraved, well looks to be, and i would take a guess that it is layered from the look as it is different to a scratch. This will be the latest version as it was sent direct from Ortofon.
Quote:
very nice review - i wish someone would do a similar presentation between eq-5 and gr-10

cheers :)

Thanks man. Yes, i would like to get my hands on some GR10 in the hope they are okay as i was overall disappointed with them sound wise, not worth near the price and the GR10 have always been quite hyped.
Quote:
nice review man, loving the comparisons...

Thanks man, glad you liked it!
Quote:
very good review! owning the eq-5 for a few months and very satisfy with its performance, how ever eq5 pop out of my ear from time to time and I really need to find a pair of ear hooks or better tips.

Thanks a lot! Yes it is very good isn't it. What i will say is if you can get some smaller tips then you will get a deeper insertion so less likely fall out. Also you could try the included comply tips although the sound will be altered slightly. Also for ear-hooks i have not found a need for them but Phonak and Meelectronics both sell them.
Quote:
I've been using the silicone ear guide from Sennheiser ie 8 and they stay totally intact in my ears. Also the little black wire tryst tie things that secure cables makes a nice cinch cord on the eQ-5.

Oh that is cool. I have found them great at staying in my ears personally whether i am at home, on the train or out in town!
Quote:
LOL. How do you really feel? Just thought wearing them as designed might help since your only issue with their sound was the bass. Might not but other found them warm and the opposite of your take on their tonality. Maybe they didn't just 'sound' like they had a bad seal. http://www.headphone.com/headphones/grado-gr8-earphones.php Again, I haven't heard them but the consensus has always been that they were on the warmer side though not bassy. Those that haven't been enamored (like almost anything) have thought it too dark. Google GR8 reviews and I think you'll find that they're not poor. Even the guy you borrowed them from rated them as VG. Perhaps not your flavor or as good a value as something else to a given individual but the odd physical description and usage along with that last comment are not the sort of thing I expect from a review. You're allowed not to like them. I may not as well but wow.

I didn't think a couple of valid corrections would get you all reactionary. Sorry if I over stepped but I though the non opinion stuff in reviews should be accurate and correctoins welcomed.

I think silver is a good choice on a good phone.

Actually i think that i am wearing them right as no earphones will have the writing upside down when worn. The writing is up the right way when cable down so that is likely correct. There is nothing that implies over the ear use like with any IEM that is made for over ear use. I had a perfect seal and is till have tried over the ear. These have silly little bass that is awfully rolled of. Makes the DBA_02 bass heavy hahah! 

I have wrote all of the bold and just didn't agree with the warm part.

Quote:First Review
I've tried six or seven different IEMs over the past few years, and the Grado GR8s are far and away the most comfortable and easy to wear out of all of them. They are tiny, and have very comfortable gel tips. Microphonics are not detectable when I wear them over the ear (I haven't tried wearing them down). 

The sound signature is my favorite out of all the IEMs I've tried, as well. The imaging is very precise and the timbre is very natural. There is a really nice sense of air/space in the music that reminds me a bit of the on-ear Grados I own (although they do not have the aggressive treble and sparkle of the on-ears). There is a nice amount of detail. I especially like them for small jazz and chamber ensembles, but I haven't listened to anything on them that didn't work well. They seem like good IEMs for all-around listening. 

If I had to nit-pick: they are a touch on the warm side of neutral; and the soundstage is on the small side for an IEM of this caliber.

And i have agreed with quite a bit of the other review too again other than the warmth, i said the bass for example is not bad in quality vs say the SE530 but not there in impact or as this guy says slam.

I do not really care what google reviews say about them but i have heard many IEMs for the price and many a lot lower and these would be correctly priced at £100. They would be a bargain a lot cheaper. And at a google a lot of review sites rate them poorly and they are normally positive about a lot. I also never said i did not like them just that their was a lot better, check my round up thread, they are ranked like 7th in line with the GR07 which is not shabby.

Oh and i did not mean to come back argumentatively, i take everything on board constructively and appreciated what you pointed out, especially about the metal. I will say though that i think they are made to be cable down because of the writing and packaging.

Jul 19, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #17 of 38
 The writing isn't visible when worn and reads as you would hold them if you wanted a read. The strain reliefs would be strait instead of angling towards your noggin is they were meant to go down. The reliefs restrict insertion down and not one bit up. Up, the shape cradles comfortably inside your tragus and allows a better coupling and angle into your ear. They neatly wrap forward and up over the tragus.

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #18 of 38
Quote:
 The writing isn't visible when worn and reads as you would hold them if you wanted a read. The strain reliefs would be strait instead of angling towards your noggin is they were meant to go down. The reliefs restrict insertion down and not one bit up. Up, the shape cradles comfortably inside your tragus and allows a better coupling and angle into your ear.

I know but never in a earphone do you insert it so the writing is upside down. Also i do not know if you have tried them on but the restriction gets them to an ideal depth as these do not want to deep an insertion as that actually removes the seal. Although looking at it the writing faces inward cable down and outward but upside down over the ear so it is not thought about either way so you may be right. It is not signified anywhere.

To the point i find it more comfortable and better seal wise cable down. I go to deep and lose seal over the ear and it then sounds completely empty in the bass. Throughout the whole review i had a seal, i know how to tell for one.

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #19 of 38
I own GR10s and have for some time. Like I said, I've never heard the GR8 so can't personally comment on the sound other than repeat another's take.

Grado has always danced to their own drummer. If you lose a seal with deeper insertion then the tip is the wrong size and it's likely folding which can also cause other sonic issues. Your canal doesn't widen as you get further in so... We're all different and they may never be good for you but I know these work better up even if you don't go super deep. Should be up with the body right against the tragus. They can be worn down but it's not optimum. Most comment of the comfort and security of fit when up but some also just don't care for cable up phones. Lots of choices and so little time.
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #20 of 38
I own GR10s and have for some time. Like I said, I've never heard the GR8 so can't personally comment on the sound other than repeat another's take.

Grado has always danced to their own drummer. If you lose a seal with deeper insertion then the tip is the wrong size and it's likely folding which can also cause other sonic issues. Your canal doesn't widen as you get further in so... We're all different and they may never be good for you but I know these work better up even if you don't go super deep. Should be up with the body right against the tragus. They can be worn down but it's not optimum. Most comment of the comfort and security of fit when up but some also just don't care for cable up phones. Lots of choices and so little time.:D

Aah, fair enough, they have the same housings right. Again I have tip rolled these and the ones I use are optimum size wise. They only fold when deep inserting then removing and on the way out the fold which just makes a lesser sound quality. Before a review I use all tips that are the right size to make sure I get the best sound. Some earphones, Etys for example, need a sweep insertion while some, these for example do not. I mean they are comfy both wearing styles just I prefer down.

Jul 21, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:
I've been inside the EQ-5 and can guarantee that they're not better (as well) built and they've have had some cable issues as well. That said I think the case is fine and not an issue in the least so I don't want to make a big deal of it. Other than fit, the body is not a reason to pick one over the other.

The cable down thing is just odd.

I also preferred the EQ-5 to most including most TWFKs. It just lacks the last bit of res of the best but I think it's a VG value and IEM in general.
bigsmile_face.gif

Agreed on that. My e-Q5's died on my a while back because of the cable issues.

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #23 of 38
In my search for a more portable solution (IEMs on my Clip+ without amp), someone recommended the EQ-5. My favourite IEMs are Radius DDM and RE262. But the first has bad isolation (good fit for my ears though) and the last really needs an amp.
EQ-5 should be a solution with a similar sound signature. Musical, balanced and a little mid-forward. I did notice they are quite sensitive even though they have an impedance of 40 Ohm. They hiss a little out of my iBasso D4 when I put the gain on high, gain at low it is unnoticeable. My amp is mostly on high gain because I normally use Superlux HD668B headphones or RE262 when listening to music on my computer.

So far, first impressions are very good for EQ-5.

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #24 of 38
e-Q5 isn't exactly mid forward. That treble is hot if not paired with a warm sounding amp putting a restraining order.

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #26 of 38
I have done some listening (tests) and they passed my sibilance test and my male-female duet test. I wouldn't call the treble hot. I am using sony hybrids at the moment, will try the stock single flanges and have another go.

The mids are not dominant but they have a prominent role in the sound.
The mids seem a bit more distant than I was expecting and are less intimate than RE262. They are more like the DDM than like the RE262.

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #27 of 38
Just done a check with stock single flanges and there is a difference. Bass is weaker and the sound is brighter. This way there is noticeable sharpness and sibilance but still not like there is with the DBA-02. Sound seems more detailed as well with stock single flanges and mids are more forward. Of course just minor differences but I think I will prefer the stock single flanges. You will notice it when you are doing listening tests but for relaxed listening, you probably won't. Sony hybrids could be a solution if there are guys and gals out there that want to tame the treble/mids and have more bass.

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

The mids are not dominant but they have a prominent role in the sound.
The mids seem a bit more distant than I was expecting and are less intimate than RE262. They are more like the DDM than like the RE262.

FI-BA-SB is intimate in presentation. May be you should try them if these are available for demo.

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #30 of 38
At the moment I am liking the EQ-5. They are different than RE262 but there is a similar kind of midrange magic, just different sounding magic.
I have only listened out of my laptop (iBasso D$ DAC+AMP). I can feed the line-out to O2 or some of my other amps but it sounds good as is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back