Review on HtC 10 and Sound quality (AQstic Dedicated Integrated DAC)
Jun 23, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #1,036 of 1,164
i think the U11 is better overall in both sound quality and everything else compared to the htc10. I heard the earbuds on the htc11 are better than those on the s8.
Did they improve the Wi-Fi sound quality on the U11?

Jun 23, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #1,038 of 1,164
You could plug the HTC 10 straight into your stereo. You only need a jack to cinch adapter. The result will be very similar.
I just plugged my HTC10(half volume)into my CXA60 front 3.5mm input.And the sound stage, imaging and bass is very impressive on my 685 S2s. Update/edit: And it does sound better than the Mojo.Its amazing you can get this transparency and detail from a smartphone headphone jack.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #1,039 of 1,164
I just plugged my HTC10(half volume)into my CXA60 front 3.5mm input.And the sound stage, imaging and bass is very impressive on my 685 S2s. Update/edit: And it does sound better than the Mojo.Its amazing you can get this transparency and detail from a smartphone headphone jack.

Nirvana,

Are you saying the 10 sounds better to you than the Chord Mojo? I tested it against my old $299 Oppo HA-2, and it sounded AS good if not better. But better than Mojo? That would THA BOMB! lol

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #1,040 of 1,164
IMO Yes

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #1,041 of 1,164
Nirvana,

Are you saying the 10 sounds better to you than the Chord Mojo? I tested it against my old $299 Oppo HA-2, and it sounded AS good if not better. But better than Mojo? That would THA BOMB! lol
It's more transparent and detailed with a warmer bass response.And does a great job with any genre of music.

Jun 24, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #1,043 of 1,164
@Nirvana1000 : Yes I meant the 3,5mm jack to RCA but if your amplifier has a 3.5mm input that is fine too.

I sold my Mojo because I liked the HTC's sound better. I would'nt say HTC sounds better but different. Mojo sounds more exciting and dynamic but can sound harsh at times. HTC sounds softer and smoother overall. Similar detail retrieval but different presentation.
I own 2 HTC 10s. One I use as a phone the other one just serves me as a DAP. I rooted the second one and run a custom ROM to be able to use Viper4Android. I am 100% satisfied with the sound :beyersmile:

Jun 24, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #1,044 of 1,164
I sold my Mojo because I liked the HTC's sound better. I would'nt say HTC sounds better but different. Mojo sounds more exciting and dynamic but can sound harsh at times. HTC sounds softer and smoother overall. Similar detail retrieval but different presentation.
I own 2 HTC 10s. One I use as a phone the other one just serves me as a DAP. I rooted the second one and run a custom ROM to be able to use Viper4Android. I am 100% satisfied with the sound :beyersmile:
IMHO.Plugged into my home system the music is more full,with better bass presentation and yes smoother than the mojo.The 10 has more warmth,while the mojo is more neutral.I think the 10's soundstage is wider and has more air.My integrated amp has a high quality 3.5mm input Jack,which is a great option to plug into.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #1,045 of 1,164
@Nirvana1000 : Yes I meant the 3,5mm jack to RCA but if your amplifier has a 3.5mm input that is fine too.

Very cool Zach! So now there's 2 people who prefer the 10 over the Mojo. The great news just keeps on comin'!! lol

Jun 24, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #1,046 of 1,164
IMHO.Plugged into my home system the music is more full,with better bass presentation and yes smoother than the mojo.The 10 has more warmth,while the mojo is more neutral.I think the 10's soundstage is wider and has more air.My integrated amp has a high quality 3.5mm input Jack,which is a great option to plug into.

Yeah the 10 definitely has some slight warmth (read: good solid TIGHT bass lol) to it. Interesting that it's smoother than the Mojo. Though I like neutral, I'm finding I like a lil warmth in my sound too. It makes the music more engaging and enjoyable to listen to. Neutral I think is better if you're recording though, I guess?

Jun 24, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #1,047 of 1,164

Which headphones do you like best with your 10?And does Viper4Android(rooted) improve sound quality?

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #1,048 of 1,164
Which headphones do you like best with your 10?And does Viper4Android(rooted) improve sound quality?

My personal preference is the Audioquest Nighthawk. I correct it's FR flaws using a 20 band EQ (Jetaudio Plus music player). It's impedance curve is uncritical - there are no bothersome effects considering the HTC 10 has an output impendance of approximately 4 Ohms. It was published on this Spanish site https://headphoniaks.com/smartphone-iphone-6s-htc-10-meizu-pro5/
This fact should be mentioned when recommending the HTC 10 as a music player. For people using multi BA driver IEMs 4 Ohms of output impedance could be a no-go.

With Viper4Android (I use 2.5.0.5) sound can be altered in a positive way. I use just a few options frequently and to me they clearly improve the sound. With "Field Surround" the soundstage can be altered and the mid image can be improved. Using this option i get a bigger soundstage and a more "it plays in front of my head"-feeling. Viper Audio says that "Spectrum Extension" makes your lossy files sound lossless. It does really work well for me with all kind of music files. It makes resolution seem higher and instrument separation get better. "AnalogX" is supposed to imitate a Class A amplifier's sound. I do not use it with all music as it seems to reduce dynamics but it colors the sound a bit. Everything sounds smoother and warmer. It reminds me a bit of the sound I get with a good turntable or my tube amp.

There are plenty of other effects which I do not use. If there are certain aspects in the sound of your setup which you do not like, chances are you can tweak them with Viper4Android. There is a reason why V4A is called "the mother of all sound apps".

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #1,049 of 1,164
My personal preference is the Audioquest Nighthawk. I correct it's FR flaws using a 20 band EQ (Jetaudio Plus music player). It's impedance curve is uncritical - there are no bothersome effects considering the HTC 10 has an output impendance of approximately 4 Ohms. It was published on this Spanish site https://headphoniaks.com/smartphone-iphone-6s-htc-10-meizu-pro5/
This fact should be mentioned when recommending the HTC 10 as a music player. For people using multi BA driver IEMs 4 Ohms of output impedance could be a no-go.

With Viper4Android (I use 2.5.0.5) sound can be altered in a positive way. I use just a few options frequently and to me they clearly improve the sound. With "Field Surround" the soundstage can be altered and the mid image can be improved. Using this option i get a bigger soundstage and a more "it plays in front of my head"-feeling. Viper Audio says that "Spectrum Extension" makes your lossy files sound lossless. It does really work well for me with all kind of music files. It makes resolution seem higher and instrument separation get better. "AnalogX" is supposed to imitate a Class A amplifier's sound. I do not use it with all music as it seems to reduce dynamics but it colors the sound a bit. Everything sounds smoother and warmer. It reminds me a bit of the sound I get with a good turntable or my tube amp.

There are plenty of other effects which I do not use. If there are certain aspects in the sound of your setup which you do not like, chances are you can tweak them with Viper4Android. There is a reason why V4A is called "the mother of all sound apps".
Hmm.Interesting.I am happy with my VModa M100/HTC 10 combo right now.It sounds surprisingly good.I briefly listened to the nighthawks through a mojo at bay bloor radio and I wasn't impressed with the sound.I read they have to be broken in first.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #1,050 of 1,164
Hmm.Interesting.I am happy with my VModa M100/HTC 10 combo right now.It sounds surprisingly good.I briefly listened to the nighthawks through a mojo at bay bloor radio and I wasn't impressed with the sound.I read they have to be broken in first.

Unfortunately I never got the chance to listen to the Vmoda M100s. No need to install V4A if you are already happy with the sound. Rooting a phone is kind of risky and it voids your precious warranty.
I EQ the Nighthawk in a way that I almost get a frequency response close to neutral. There is something beautiful in the tonality of this biocellulose driver that I have not found elswhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back