Review on HtC 10 and Sound quality (AQstic Dedicated Integrated DAC)
May 12, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #32 of 1,164
Don't have any Bt gears with me as I am not a fan of it.

I wasn't either.
Until I tried the Momentum Wireless over-ear during my long commutes...
I was happy to sacrifice some SQ in change of exceptional portability and relax when on the go.

May 12, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #33 of 1,164
"The Taiwanese company added that although the Hi-Res earbuds will not be offered with the HTC 10 for free in the U.S. and Canada, the headphones will be available for purchase through the HTC store “soon”. It’s also worth noting that as long as you’re considering buying a pair of earbuds from HTC, you might be interested in knowing that the smartphone maker has also teamed upwith JBL and created a pair of noise-cancelling Hi-Fi earbuds which connect to the HTC 10 via USB Type-C. They promise “better than CD level music” and feature 14.8 mm Dynamic drivers and adaptive noise control."

May 12, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #34 of 1,164
http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-10-audio-testing-boomsound-evolved
^ From this article HTC stated: "We use a discrete DAC (not one on the SoC) in addition to the amp and have done a ton of PCB engineering to insure the best possible signal-to-noise ratio. Credit to HTC engineering, not off-the-shelf components."

So apparently the 10 is using a third party DAC, not the inbuilt 820 one. Very interesting and good measurements too, looking forwards to the teardown. 

May 13, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #35 of 1,164
  http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-10-audio-testing-boomsound-evolved
^ From this article HTC stated: "We use a discrete DAC (not one on the SoC) in addition to the amp and have done a ton of PCB engineering to insure the best possible signal-to-noise ratio. Credit to HTC engineering, not off-the-shelf components."

So apparently the 10 is using a third party DAC, not the inbuilt 820 one. Very interesting and good measurements too, looking forwards to the teardown. 

Interesting, why don't they just say which DAC chip they are using then, rather than keeping us all in the dark?

I have my 10 here and it does sound good for a smart-phone. I compared it to one of my other DAC's (Dragonfly 1.2) and it had a very similar sound. I too would say the HTC 10 has a slightly warmer sound signature (than the Dragonfly) but I'm not finished my comparisons yet.

The signature is closer to my Mojo, not in overall audio quality, just tonal balance and warmth of sound.

May 13, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #36 of 1,164

Interesting, why don't they just say which DAC chip they are using then, rather than keeping us all in the dark?

I have my 10 here and it does sound good for a smart-phone. I compared it to one of my other DAC's (Dragonfly 1.2) and it had a very similar sound. I too would say the HTC 10 has a slightly warmer sound signature (than the Dragonfly) but I'm not finished my comparisons yet.

The signature is closer to my Mojo, not in overall audio quality, just tonal balance and warmth of sound.

Sounds like Wolfson to me.

May 13, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #37 of 1,164

You are correct, but the mojo has more neutral, faster, tighter bass....hell because it is a dedicated amp/DAC.....why compare to smartphones. Now, we know the 10 is good.

I don't think it is Wolfson, more like Burrbrown to me....but who cares ? It sounds damn fine for a smartphone

May 13, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #42 of 1,164
This phone is sounding better and better from all your impressions so far. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one soon.

Same here.
I feel like it's a big jump for me, it would be my first non-iPhone smartphone...:eek:

May 14, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #44 of 1,164
Hello ladies & gentlemen been wondering how the Htc 10 is going. I currently have my M7 and its holding up just fine :) but I think it's time to upgrade. I was wondering how the Htc 10 would sound with the Audio Technica Msr7? And what portable amp would you recommend with the 10 & Msr7? Or would it even require one? If it does somethimg no more than $150 aud :)

May 15, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #45 of 1,164
Hello ladies & gentlemen been wondering how the Htc 10 is going. I currently have my M7 and its holding up just fine
smily_headphones1.gif
but I think it's time to upgrade. I was wondering how the Htc 10 would sound with the Audio Technica Msr7? And what portable amp would you recommend with the 10 & Msr7? Or would it even require one? If it does somethimg no more than $150 aud
smily_headphones1.gif

I've upgraded from the OnePlus One, I would say the its slightly better in all respects but on the audio side of things the 10 is big upgrade.

I do have the Audio Technica Msr7 so I can test them with the HTC 10. I would say that will be a great pairing, the Msr7's get the best out of everything I've plugged them in to.

I can't test the combo until Monday as they are my office headphone, but I can say now they definitely won't require an amp as the Msr7 is a very easy headphone to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back