Review on HtC 10 and Sound quality (AQstic Dedicated Integrated DAC)
Oct 26, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #1,099 of 1,164
Like my HTC10 sound wise, didn't root it. Did root a previous phone, bit of a pain. Any sonic benefits? Any good links for rooting it?

Oct 26, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #1,100 of 1,164
Like my HTC10 sound wise, didn't root it. Did root a previous phone, bit of a pain. Any sonic benefits? Any good links for rooting it?
The main benefit would be that you can use Viper4Android. I have used V4A since many years and have gotten used to it. It provides certain effects that I would not want to miss. If you don't miss anything in the sound better do not root because it is a pain in the ass and voids your phone's warranty. BTW I am using the custom rom Viper10.

Oct 26, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #1,101 of 1,164
thanks for your advices. So the dragonfly is out of the game, it seems. Wouldn't fancy a G6, why should it be better than a V20?

Thanks Zachgraz, so u'd still recommend the HTC 10 without any dongles? Helps :)

The G6 IS better than the V20 IF you get the Korean version that stenog posted. The reason is that one comes with the Quad DAC which makes all the difference where the U.S. G6 doesn't have it. But there's more...............other reasons to get the Korean G6 over the V20 include: 1) Better screen (though both are 2K) 2) Even though the G6 is smaller on all 3 dimensions, it has the SAME size screen (5.7") as the V20 due to the change from 16:9 display ratio to 18:9 3) Prob better camera 4) Better processor (821 vs. 820) 5) Slightly better battery life.

I JUST got the LG V30 last week and it is definitely the best LG phone yet for sure. They did EVERYTHING right on this phone (though I would've preferred a metal unibody like HTC vs. glass back, but whatever lol)! They made some small modifications to the DAC in that you have better digital filters now than before, and it might also be louder too (amp)? If you can, I'd get the LG V30 over both of those, but it is brand new so it will cost more. The one amazing thing about it is is that it's actually SMALLER than the V20, but has a bigger screen (18:9 ftw)!

I had the HTC 10 and it has a better camera than the the V20 and G6, but not sure if it's better than the V30's? Maybe, maybe not. But the battery life was just ok but recently I noticed it was getting worse, and I only bought it in January. The V30's battery life however is FANTASTIC!! So that was a big reason why I upgraded sooner than planned. My cousin told me that any phones with the new 835 processor are in luck b/c they did something to the 835 that will make phone batteries last a lot longer than they used to that the older processors don't have. So if you plan on keeping your phone over 12-18 mos, then this is the time to upgrade IMO. If not, then don't worry about it.

So there you go Jebbelino. And yes, get Poweramp for BEST results!

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #1,102 of 1,164
still wondering if a Astell & Kern AK 70 would serve me better than a HTC 10 or a FiiO X5 III.

Some ppl will say the AK70 would definitely sound better than any of these smartphones. But others who have tried the mighty Chord Mojo have said it's overrated and isn't any better than smartphones or DAPs half its price. So I dunno Jebbelino. I used to like DAPs myself but over the last couple years I prefer the convenience of using a smartphone with an amp/DAC or now just a smartphone since these newer phones already come with excellent amp/DACs already built-in. Companies like Sony, HTC, and LG are making it EASIER to become an audiophile, and I LIKE IT!! :L3000: lol

Oct 26, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #1,105 of 1,164
It already DID come. It's called the LG V30. lol See the Berlin skyline ones below the giraffes, and read the passages before and after them. Sorry Samsung. lol

Seems good, really good, but the G6 camera is already superior to the S8's. Haven't seen any tests comparing the two yet.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #1,106 of 1,164
Seems good, really good, but the G6 camera is already superior to the S8's. Haven't seen any tests comparing the two yet.

Is that right? Ok, nice! Well even though the V30 is newer, I guess if the G6 already beats the S8 on the camera, that's pretty impressive right there.

Wait, which two? I thought you were saying the G6 beat the S8 already. Or do you mean G6 vs. V30?

Oct 26, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #1,107 of 1,164
G6 vs V30.

Have seen all tests comparing G6 and S8, G6 has better dynamic range, white balance, color, etc. S8 blows lights at night where G6 preserves the integrity of the picture and so on. A long night on google shows you all that. Both reviews/comparisons and videos.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #1,108 of 1,164
But I'm curious about V30's camera performance. If it turns out to be at least as good as the G6, which is what it seemed, I will buy it. Also because of SQ, obviously. I've noticed better SQ on the V20 (but worse camera by quite a margin). LG learned how to take the most out of the SONY IMX258 chip and it's performing better than other brands using the flagship chips. Interesting...

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #1,109 of 1,164
But I'm curious about V30's camera performance. If it turns out to be at least as good as the G6, which is what it seemed, I will buy it. Also because of SQ, obviously. I've noticed better SQ on the V20 (but worse camera by quite a margin).

Well there's no better way to judge a camera's quality than by looking at samples of the pictures it takes, which is why you should check out my link from a few posts ago. Reviews can be biased, sometimes even by corruption (I'm looking at YOU DxOMark, as well as others lol), but pictures don't lie. Although, I GUESS they can be distorted too, but that's much less likely I think.

It's very unusual that a newer phone's camera wouldn't be at least marginally better than the last's, but it's prob best you compare both cameras and come to your own conclusion Paulus.

Better SQ on the V20? I would only think that to be true if you were comparing that V20 to a U.S. G6, which we all know now DOES NOT have the Quad DAC included. I don't see how it's possible for the Korean G6 to sound worse. I honestly have no idea if they'd modified the Korean G6's Quad DAC or not since the V20. But the V30 does have "Quad DAC+" which I guess refers to the new digital filters they've added? And again, the amp MAY be stronger, but I'm not 100% sure there.

Oct 27, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #1,110 of 1,164
V20 can show me micro-details, G6 cannot. G6 Quad-DAC, of course. Can't understand why. This was detected in streaming via Deezer. Haven't compared from my FLACs, etc. The difference is so important for me, that I'm considering buying a V20 again, because V30 will just arrive here by December and at a forbidden price, so I will have to wait some time. Loosing this camera is what is preventing me to do so though (getting V20). I have a buyer for my G6 and he's waiting. Passed all night trying to make a decision, still in the same point. Don't want to lose this camera. But what I've heard from the V20 was amazing and I'm not getting that with the G6. Even put some faith on burn-in, but no way. I have a song that I use for testing that has some percussion sound, you hear it with the G6, but it's just that, with the V20 you feel it. There's better micro-detail. The texture, etc.

Eventually my G6 can have some issue and it's not using all the DACs, even if it says it is.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back