Review of the Little-Dot MKII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jul 24, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #256 of 659
bought the little jumper,have just put them on the pins and now my mullard cv4015 are singing.

thanks again to david for his instruction

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #257 of 659
Alan that avatar is making my caterpillar restless
biggrin.gif

A double pun
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jul 25, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #258 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by alan_g /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bought the little jumper,have just put them on the pins and now my mullard cv4015 are singing.

thanks again to david for his instruction

Sometimes I wonder if the jumpers are in the signal path and if using gold contact jumpers rather than the stock tin plated ones would make a difference sonically. Back in my computer modding college days we used to get these same jumpers for our motherboards and the guys used to insist on gold contact ones because the heat would oxidize the cheapie tin jumpers overtime and make the machines less stable.
rolleyes.gif

- DoA

Jul 25, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #259 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes I wonder if the jumpers are in the signal path and if using gold contact jumpers rather than the stock tin plated ones would make a difference sonically. Back in my computer modding college days we used to get these same jumpers for our motherboards and the guys used to insist on gold contact ones because the heat would oxidize the cheapie tin jumpers overtime and make the machines less stable.
rolleyes.gif

- DoA

As far as I know, which isn't far, they are in the voltage line only. Weird thing is, I don't remember why I thought that? I've heard of the oxidation theory before, but that was a long time ago, like Intel 8088-2 days or earlier.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #260 of 659
Received my MKII this morning, much to my surprise, given the olympics and such, I was prepared to wait at least another few days, but it got here in a week. =D Cheers to David and Little Dot.

Initial impressions are... good not great. Bass is bloated and kinda boomy, and it seems kinda... muted. Of course, I have 45 minutes on it, so it's got some considerable burn in to do.
tongue.gif

Jul 25, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #261 of 659
what phones are you using it with ? i'm still waiting for my MkII...surely give feedback when i'll get it...if i recover quickly from my otitis...it's terrible i've not listened to any music for days...

Jul 25, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #262 of 659
Sennheiser HD580s.

It's gotten a bit better, even in the couple hours since I first started. It feels a bit livelier, not as dark. A good change. =D

Jul 26, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #263 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by Namrac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Received my MKII this morning, much to my surprise, given the olympics and such, I was prepared to wait at least another few days, but it got here in a week. =D Cheers to David and Little Dot.

Initial impressions are... good not great. Bass is bloated and kinda boomy, and it seems kinda... muted. Of course, I have 45 minutes on it, so it's got some considerable burn in to do.
tongue.gif

The MkII comes with Chinese 6J1 as stock drivers right?

Jul 26, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #264 of 659
6J6, I believe.

Jul 26, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #265 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by Namrac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
6J6, I believe.

They have Chinese characters written on them right? I would recommend replacing those with drivers like the Mullard M8100 or the Russian made 6J1P-EV, it would improve the sound greatly as the Chinese tubes in my experience are quite poorly made.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2008 at 9:57 AM Post #266 of 659
i have to say that since i swapped over the stock tubes for mullard cv4015. This little amp becomes a different proposition altogether

Jul 26, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #267 of 659
while waiting for my ldII i ordered some tubes to replace the original ones, i got a pair of mullard Ef95...and a pair of 6n6p power tubes, they should be ok with stock jumper settings and no modding, right ? I've not fully understood how the jumper settings affects tube compatibility..."ef95/ef92 family" are all driver tubes...so does the jumper interfere only with drivers ?

Jul 26, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #268 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They have Chinese characters written on them right? I would recommend replacing those with drivers like the Mullard M8100 or the Russian made 6J1P-EV, it would improve the sound greatly as the Chinese tubes in my experience are quite poorly made.
smily_headphones1.gif

I was planning on holding off on tube rolling until I got my second MKII, but it's getting harder to resist.
tongue.gif

Jul 26, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #269 of 659
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
while waiting for my ldII i ordered some tubes to replace the original ones, i got a pair of mullard Ef95...and a pair of 6n6p power tubes, they should be ok with stock jumper settings and no modding, right ? I've not fully understood how the jumper settings affects tube compatibility..."ef95/ef92 family" are all driver tubes...so does the jumper interfere only with drivers ?

jumpers on for the ef92 family,off for ef95

Jul 26, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #270 of 659
ok but ef92 or 95 families are driver tubes ...what about the power ones ?what i've understand is that the kind of power valves you can fit is not affected by the jumper setting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back