Review of the Little-Dot MKII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp
Jun 11, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #556 of 659

I think LD mkii manual is wrong! when I do sw1_on and sw_off( for both dips 1 and 2 ) then only one channel gets louder and another doesn't and also I can feel hum.

but when I do sw1_on( dip1_on & dip2_off) and sw2_off(dip1_on & dip2_off) I get perfect balance sound from both channel and that should be GAIN 5

also MANUAL from 5.18.2010 is complete wrong! about impedance/sensitivity don't follow it!
In my LD MKII it was wrong too. I figured out somehow. HD6XX gives a noise when used with given settings. Low gain / high sensitivity settings worked. There is another manual that has this correctly. Here is a copy. I attached a copy to this reply.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gg0mt2gi99wmt7j/LittleDot_MKII_Guide.pdf?dl=0

Attachments

• LittleDot_MKII_Guide.pdf
    487.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #557 of 659
In my LD MKII it was wrong too. I figured out somehow. HD6XX gives a noise when used with given settings. Low gain / high sensitivity settings worked. There is another manual that has this correctly. Here is a copy. I attached a copy to this reply.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gg0mt2gi99wmt7j/LittleDot_MKII_Guide.pdf?dl=0

LD_MK_II_GAIN_5.png.jpg
this is my current gain setting for HD650 I believe this is GAIN 5.

Source: SB_ZXR_RCA_Speaker_OUT

well the one you uploaded is also wrong about gain and impedance/sensitivity (it's the old manual from 2010).

read it again and you will c that it don't makes sense.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #559 of 659

this is my current gain setting for HD650 I believe this is GAIN 5.

Source: SB_ZXR_RCA_Speaker_OUT

well the one you uploaded is also wrong about gain and impedance/sensitivity (it's the old manual from 2010).

read it again and you will c that it don't makes sense.

I have it on the same setting too. All the switches off.

Jun 12, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #560 of 659

I think LD mkii manual is wrong! when I do sw1_on and sw_off( for both dips 1 and 2 ) then only one channel gets louder and another doesn't and also I can feel hum.

but when I do sw1_on( dip1_on & dip2_off) and sw2_off(dip1_on & dip2_off) I get perfect balance sound from both channel and that should be GAIN 5

also MANUAL from 5.18.2010 is complete wrong! about impedance/sensitivity don't follow it!

What are the headphones you are using....? just to see if I am using mine correctly. LOL :)

Jun 12, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #562 of 659
I have it on the same setting too. All the switches off.

I think you didn't c the picture correctly not all switches are off only SW1_1_dip_2_off and SW2_2_dip_2_off which makes the both Chanel balance and I assume it's GAIN 5, but it gets really loud for my HD650 can't go over clock 30 while windows volume set to 100%. and If I go below 20 then Chanel gets unbalanced.

if you switch all of them OFF then it's GAIN 10 which I can't use for HD650/R70x cause of buzzing noise and also too loud which I don't like.

I think the best GAIN Option is GAIN 3 if you don't like your music too loud and don't wan't to Fxxx up your ears.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #563 of 659
I think you didn't c the picture correctly not all switches are off only SW1_1_dip_2_off and SW2_2_dip_2_off which makes the both Chanel balance and I assume it's GAIN 5, but it gets really loud for my HD650 can't go over clock 30 while windows volume set to 100%. and If I go below 20 then Chanel gets unbalanced.

if you switch all of them OFF then it's GAIN 10 which I can't use for HD650/R70x cause of buzzing noise and also too loud which I don't like.

I think the best GAIN Option is GAIN 3 if you don't like your music too loud and don't wan't to Fxxx up your ears.

I think I am on the GAIN 3, all switches on, I can't exactly remember, I have to remove the cover and see. As far as I recall, I tried to get rid of that buzzing noise and I ended up in the lowest setting which everything seemed normal. GAIN 3 is the lowest right?

Oct 14, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #565 of 659
Time to resurrect this worthy little thread...I really enjoy my MKII with HD600 and DT990 600 Ohm on gain setting 4, which offers very low noise (none at all actually) and a bit more grunt when needed over lowest setting (3).

High DR recordings need that little bit more I've found.

Oct 15, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #566 of 659
Time to resurrect this worthy little thread...I really enjoy my MKII with HD600 and DT990 600 Ohm on gain setting 4, which offers very low noise (none at all actually) and a bit more grunt when needed over lowest setting (3).

High DR recordings need that little bit more I've found.

Nice! I have the HD650 and really enjoy the amp with some Voshkod tubes...felt like is dusted off the cobwebs from my music.
Question, by grunt, what do you mean exactly with respects to what it does to the music? I'm considering playing around with the gain.

Oct 16, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #567 of 659
Nice! I have the HD650 and really enjoy the amp with some Voshkod tubes...felt like is dusted off the cobwebs from my music.
Question, by grunt, what do you mean exactly with respects to what it does to the music? I'm considering playing around with the gain.

In this context I'm simply referring to the additional volume that a higher gain setting provides.
In terms of sound quality the higher gain does seem slightly punchier but this is likely just expectation bias on my part.

I have tried the other gain settings with HD600 and DT990 and feel there is nothing to be "gained" (LOL!).
Noise is noticeable on 5 and 10 and rotation of the pot is severely limited.
This is from Benchmark DAC1 USB outputting approx. 2V single ended.

That said you must certainly try all the settings out yourself but I don't think your HD650 needs anything above gain setting 4 unless you really like it loud and don't respect your hearing...:dt880smile:

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #568 of 659
Hahaha no I'm pretty picky with volume but a bias is never a bad thing if it "improves" sound...thats just my brain enjoying what's going on and I'm okay with that lol.
Probably why I don't do reviews.
Thanks for the revival, helps revisit the little gem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back