Review of Meier Audio Corda JAZZ with ƒƒ-technology upgrade
Mar 19, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #256 of 432
  My suggestion is you try the CORDA CLASSIC or CLASSIC-FF. Those are more in the line of making one of the best amps around, even if the price is still very moderate!

Hi Jan. How would you judge the pairing of the CLASSIC-FF with an AKG K812?

I recently bought these cans and I am NOT planning to mod them to make them balanced.

I am currently looking around for suitable headamps and I have limited the choice to just a few amps, and I intend to audition a subset (probably the Burson Soloist SL MKII or Conductor V2, your CLASSIC-FF, Audio-gd C-2 11th anniversary). Some of my preselection criteria are: very low output impedance, capable of driving with generous current output, in class A at least in the range that I need, if possible attenuation with relais and resistances or exceptional. For me, among other things, supporting a designer/vendor in Europe would be a plus as well...

Roberto

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #257 of 432
Dear Mocenigo,

technically the CLASSIC models have more than enough power to pair with any dynamic headphone currently on the market. Whether a specific pairing is a good match is a matter of personal taste.

The CLASSIC-FF is a very neutral amp that shows an extreme high level of microdetail but without any harshness. The sound is silky and has great flow. It is especially recommended for people who prefer to listen to acustical music (Classic, Jazz, ....).

> I have limited the choice to just a few amps, and I intend to audition a subset

To try a number of amps always is the best advice one can give.

But don't underestimate the advantages of crossfeed!!

:)

Jan

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #258 of 432
Just a few days ago I got in a DAC I had been wanting to get for a while to pair with the JAZZ-ff ... the Schiit Bifrost (AK4490 version). Really like how they pair together from hearing the setup over the last few days...much improvement in detail and low end. In listening with the TH-X00 Purplehearts, the bass is simply WOW, much harder hitting and with greater extension and fine detail!

i-MwqvmS2.jpg

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #259 of 432
  Dear Mocenigo,

technically the CLASSIC models have more than enough power to pair with any dynamic headphone currently on the market. Whether a specific pairing is a good match is a matter of personal taste.

The CLASSIC-FF is a very neutral amp that shows an extreme high level of microdetail but without any harshness. The sound is silky and has great flow. It is especially recommended for people who prefer to listen to acustical music (Classic, Jazz, ....).

> I have limited the choice to just a few amps, and I intend to audition a subset

To try a number of amps always is the best advice one can give.

But don't underestimate the advantages of crossfeed!!

:)

Your implementation of crossfeed and the FF design are indeed two of the things that attract me to the Classic (and the very large filtering capacitance, and the adaptive ground). I can do cross feed in SW because my sources are multi-TB hard drives with all my music in digital form, but less strain on the CPU is always better.

What is the usual channel separation in the Classic and in the Jazz without crossfeed on?

Roberto

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #260 of 432
I've just ordered my Corda Jazz today and waiting for it to arrive. The main reason was the crossfeed. I really cannot understand how people can listen some of the albums without it. Some albums are kinda ok without, but some of them are mixed with 100% separation of some sounds between channels, with one instruments or a whole range of sounds coming only from one channel. When you listen to loudspeakers, both ears hear any single sound, they just locate it to the left or to the right. Having an instrument playing only in one ear is torture for me, it almost gives me a feeling of disorientation and dizziness.
You can listen to "John Coltrane - Giant Steps" with and without crossfeed and see the difference.
Looked at the photos, the amp looks so nice and solid. The design is simple and sober, close to a professional instrument. I really don't like some of the newer bad-taste designs that seem flimsy and cheap.

Mar 21, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #263 of 432
SW = software? Then let me tell you, the software crossfeed is horrible. I've tried Creative 3d, dolby headphone, two foobar plugins (one was called Meier filter, I don't know if it has anything to do with Jan Meier) and they cannot come close to the crossfeed circuit in my iFi iCan amplifier. The software crossfeed destroys the sound. I've also listened to a crossfeed circuit in an amplifier a long time ago, can't remember the brand, and it also sounded very good. I hope the crossfeed in the Corda Jazz is also good sounding.

For me the benefit of crossfeeding is almost always present, most songs have sounds which come too much from one channel and some of them are even unbearable for me.

Mar 21, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #264 of 432
SW = software? Then let me tell you, the software crossfeed is horrible. I've tried Creative 3d, dolby headphone, two foobar plugins (one was called Meier filter, I don't know if it has anything to do with Jan Meier) and they cannot come close to the crossfeed circuit in my iFi iCan amplifier. The software crossfeed destroys the sound. I've also listened to a crossfeed circuit in an amplifier a long time ago, can't remember the brand, and it also sounded very good. I hope the crossfeed in the Corda Jazz is also good sounding.

For me the benefit of crossfeeding is almost always present, most songs have sounds which come too much from one channel and some of them are even unbearable for me.

Point taken. But SW algorithms can always be improved. It does not surprise me that Creative and Dolby are crap :)

Roberto

Mar 22, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #266 of 432
Meier concerto vs corda classic ? 

Run a search. Probably in the classic thread. Somewhere in there I posted impressions of the differences. Long time since I listened to concerto but from memory it has a quicker (faster decay), lighter, brighter sound. Classic has more weight or body, notes decay more naturally TME, is slightly warmer and has a well-differentiated, convincing sound-stage.

I enjoyed my concerto, but found/find the classic much 'better'. The classic is a very good amp which - IMHO - fully achieves Jan's goal of performance that far exceeds its price.

I think others have commented and at least one person chose the concerto based on my notes at least.

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #267 of 432
I was lucky enough to recently find a near mint Corda Jazz ff on eBay.
I've been wanting to get a Corda amp with crossfeed for some time. I made a passive crossfeed based on a Linkwitz design, and would hate to listen to headphones without crossfeed. Its great that I now have it integrated into the amp.

To the amp, I think it sounds excellent. 'Clarity' is the word that best describes it - its sound is clean and clear and it broadens the soundstage nicely. With my HE-400i, its a perfect combination.

@Jan - Great souding amp! Did you use a bit more subtle crossfeed circuit on the Jazz?

Mar 25, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #268 of 432
  I wouldn't spend more on a amp just fro cross feed imo It might work on 3/10 tracks if that.

Definitely not my experience. Jan's crossfeed circuit allows for a more natural prsentation across the board to my ears. It's usually when I am without it that I can tell the difference...not so much when I have it engaged. To me, that's a sign that it's a beautiful design. 

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #269 of 432
Definitely not my experience. Jan's crossfeed circuit allows for a more natural prsentation across the board to my ears. It's usually when I am without it that I can tell the difference...not so much when I have it engaged. To me, that's a sign that it's a beautiful design. 

My experience too. The fruit of Jan's training in biophysics and his astute electronic design skills IMHO.

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #270 of 432
My experience too. The fruit of Jan's training in biophysics and his astute electronic design skills IMHO.

Yep, I swear by his crossfeed circuit. I love that I can only really notice it when I dont have it. If it stood out on each track I'd consider it a poor design. It helps headphones sound more natural, thus less noticable that you're listening that way. 

I've been using his gear for years now...still no desire to change, unless and until he comes out with something better. Just good, solid value. Beautifully drives every headphone I have, and especially the LCD-X. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back