Review of Meier Audio Corda JAZZ with ƒƒ-technology upgrade
Mar 21, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #226 of 437
I've had so many offers to buy my Jazz, but while the Classic is my main amp, I would never part with this little beauty. Well, except for when I (finally) get around to sending it back to Jan for the FF upgrade :)  

You should get the ff upgrade done on the Jazz as soon as you can. Or buy a new ff Jazz amp and sell the original. With the Jazz the ff upgrade is worth all the money and it just gets even better and a more "high end" sound. I'm sure you will like it :)

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #227 of 437
You should get the ff upgrade done on the Jazz as soon as you can. Or buy a new ff Jazz amp and sell the original. With the Jazz the ff upgrade is worth all the money and it just gets even better and a more "high end" sound. I'm sure you will like it :)

You're so right...I've been so busy at work the last few months, music has been my therapy...I haven't had the will power to send my gear bac to Jan and be without it for a few weeks lol. 

I really do need to do that, though...I've heard nothing but great things about this upgrade. And I've dealt with Jan long enough now that I trust him 100%. 

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #229 of 437
  Has anyone had the chanced to listen to both the Jazz and the Classic. Is the Classic a major upgrade in sq over the Jazz?

No, it's not a major upgrade, but it's a better amp and worth the price difference, in my opinion. First of all you get Jan's full crossfeed circuit, vs a lite version on the Jazz. You also get quite a bit more reserve, which can be good for headphones that prefer a little more juice, such as planar magnetics. 

You won't hear a night and day difference, though, no. That's due in large part to the Jazz being a very fine amp. 

May 7, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #230 of 437
I would just like to say that thanks to everyone in this thread I now have a JAZZ-ff :D

Have it paired with a Yamaha DVD-S1800 SACD player as the source and driving a pair of modded Denon AH-D2000's. Really couldn't be more satisfied with it, finally brought out the bass in the phones I've been missing all these years and the clarity increase is noticeable. Do now notice that the bass response on the phones is not as good as I thought they were before though....arrgh.... you don't have to point out the faults in my phones JAZZ-ff, they were near perfect before you came along! LOL... Have a pair of T50RP Mark III coming in early next week, which is also one of the reasons I went with the JAZZ-ff... so will see how that goes soon. And the Massdrop Purplehearts are going to replace the Denon AH-D2000's...so there should be some tighter bass in the future.

Meier-Audio will always be on my radar from now on.

May 26, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #231 of 437
I would just like to say that thanks to everyone in this thread I now have a JAZZ-ff
biggrin.gif

Have it paired with a Yamaha DVD-S1800 SACD player as the source and driving a pair of modded Denon AH-D2000's. Really couldn't be more satisfied with it, finally brought out the bass in the phones I've been missing all these years and the clarity increase is noticeable. Do now notice that the bass response on the phones is not as good as I thought they were before though....arrgh.... you don't have to point out the faults in my phones JAZZ-ff, they were near perfect before you came along! LOL... Have a pair of T50RP Mark III coming in early next week, which is also one of the reasons I went with the JAZZ-ff... so will see how that goes soon. And the Massdrop Purplehearts are going to replace the Denon AH-D2000's...so there should be some tighter bass in the future.

Meier-Audio will always be on my radar from now on.

Congrats!! :)

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #233 of 437
^ Depends what sound you want. Hard to help if you don't give information. A 'good' DAC pairing is anything that suits preference.

Hint: Jan Meier focuses on neutrality and I understand you should expect nice microdetail from ff. If this is what you want you need a DAC like Daccord, which might mean a well-executed Wolfson design...

Jul 20, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #234 of 437
^ Depends what sound you want. Hard to help if you don't give information. A 'good' DAC pairing is anything that suits preference.

Hint: Jan Meier focuses on neutrality and I understand you should expect nice microdetail from ff. If this is what you want you need a DAC like Daccord, which might mean a well-executed Wolfson design...
Well okay. The only dac i have heard is the Fiio E10k. It is on the warm side, and i would like something a bit brighter. I don't really know what should i expect with a new Dac, so at this point im up for anything.Also preamp outputs would are needed for my speakers.

Jul 20, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #235 of 437
Take a look at the line of [@]http://schiit.com/products[/@]. Their DACs start at $99 and are well thought of. Your budget doesn't include their multi-bit, Mike Moffat special-sauce option (around $600 for the Bifrost Multibit) but I own the original Bifrost, since much improved.

It had a 'lit' rather than bright presentation: great clarity, a little quick and dry which produced cleanly separated notes in fast passages when - strictly speaking - there probably should have been a little more overhang (i.e. harmonics should have rung on a little longer, giving more connection). It was not as good TME as Jan's StageDAC (before the Daccord's) but easily beat the original, much more costly Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC.

And, as I say, they subsequently released upgrade boards (Schiit stuff is modular and upgradeable, often DIY) which I understand fixed the slight dryness.

I'm sure there are many other options. Only mention Schiit as they are among those known for good VFM and their customer service is widely seen as terrific...

Jul 20, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #236 of 437
Take a look at the line of [@]http://schiit.com/products[/@]. Their DACs start at $99 and are well thought of. Your budget doesn't include their multi-bit, Mike Moffat special-sauce option (around $600 for the Bifrost Multibit) but I own the original Bifrost, since much improved.

It had a 'lit' rather than bright presentation: great clarity, a little quick and dry which produced cleanly separated notes in fast passages when - strictly speaking - there probably should have been a little more overhang (i.e. harmonics should have rung on a little longer, giving more connection). It was not as good TME as Jan's StageDAC (before the Daccord's) but easily beat the original, much more costly Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC.

And, as I say, they subsequently released upgrade boards (Schiit stuff is modular and upgradeable, often DIY) which I understand fixed the slight dryness.

I'm sure there are many other options. Only mention Schiit as they are among those known for good VFM and their customer service is widely seen as terrific...
For a while i was dead set on a MMU stack, but i decided to hold off and buy a better headphones than my ath m50x. So i found about the Purplehearts and started my search for a dac amp combo.And just yesterday a friend of my dad i was talking about that, told me he has a Parasound Zdac v2 that he recently got. Its funny because i was looking at the Zdac few days ago. Based on the reviews of the old and the new Zdac, i was considering it, but its headphone amp is not that good. It has a 10ohm output impedance, and the Th-X00 are 25ohm,and they do sound better with a lower impedance amp. So when i got the Zdac here, connected it to my lsr305 speakers.. Well i was blown away. So much more detail,and overall a huge difference with my Fiio, but that is to be expected. So yeah, in short i am sold on the Zdac. It fits my needs well, since i can use it with my speakers. But the headphone amp i was OK with. So i after a bit of searching i stumbled on the Corda Jazz. I am still reading reviews and topics about it here and i am really interested if it will pair nicely with the Zdac. It has a low output impedance so i think it will be great with the thx00s.

Jul 20, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #237 of 437
Sounds good. I see no reason why the Jazz would not pair well. Btw, I have owned many Corda amps but not the Jazz. Nevertheless, all Jan's amps are good enough to pair with any gear IME, and from your description I think this would include the Zdac.

Yesterday I used Jan's Classic with the Schiit Yggdrasil (and Audez'e LCD3F phones) and it simply sounds - great! I prefer the 3F over Senn HD800 but the 800 sounded particularly sublime.

I agree that 10 ohms Z-out is too high for 25-ohm phones. There would be a substantial midrange hump with too much warmth and muddy bass IIRC. And yes, Jan's designs have had low Z-out for many years now.

Good luck.

Jul 24, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #238 of 437
I think the X00 (mahogany) pairs nicely with the Jazz-ff, the bass is more controlled than with other amps I've tried, and overall it sounds more balanced. The Jazz-ff lacks a pre-amp out for speakers though.

Jul 24, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #239 of 437
I think the X00 (mahogany) pairs nicely with the Jazz-ff, the bass is more controlled than with other amps I've tried, and overall it sounds more balanced. The Jazz-ff lacks a pre-amp out for speakers though.
The Zdac has balanced and unbalanced fixed/variable outputs. So im guessing when i want to use the speakers it shouls be on variable, when i use the amp and headphones on fixed.

Jul 24, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #240 of 437
The Zdac has balanced and unbalanced fixed/variable outputs. So im guessing when i want to use the speakers it shouls be on variable, when i use the amp and headphones on fixed.

I'm not sure how that would work, it seems like you wouldn't be able to use the balanced outs unless you opted for a different amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back