Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Jun 3, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #2,778 of 3,060
Can someone let me know if the ath-im02 can be driven using a phone and also low bit rate files of the tracks much appreciated people
IM-02 sounds the best using <1 Output Impedance source... higher than that itd sound different. So it depends on the model of Smartphone you're using, some do most dont.

Jun 3, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #2,781 of 3,060

Yep, however the IM02 is (comparatively) gently behaving as long as the added impedance is not tooo much. More impedance with the IM02 results in more treble quantity.

So then, a low output impedance DAP like the DX80 should be a good match with the 02/03?

If you are personally quite sensitive to hissing sources, then I'd pick a different source, but regarding impedance-matching, it works like a charm.

Jun 5, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #2,787 of 3,060
After two weeks of owning the IM02 I think I came to the conclusion that this IEM is not for me. I loved to love the 02's but I'm pretty much left disappointed. They're quite bright for my liking and their quite lacking in imaging and soundstage is really huge deal breaker to me at least. I'm probably going to sell my 02 and get a different pair or keep them as a collection.

Anyone knows any IEM that are in the same caliber as the IM02 but with bigger soundstage, much pronounced imaging, and a tad more bass?

Cheers, thanks
the im02 IMHO is the exact opposite of what you mentioned, in fact I find the treble rolled off.The im02's treble quantity scales with output impedance.The.im02 will sound brighter with sources with output impedance of beyond 1.Perhaps you should check your source to see if this is an issue before selling the im02.The im02spujds best with sources with an output impedance of below 1

Jul 2, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #2,788 of 3,060
Pulled the trigger on some IM03 today during a warehouse sale of demo units for 180SGD. Absolutely love them soundwise. Isolation is not so good and the fit becomes a bit uncomfy for me after one hour. So as I got them super cheap I will invest a part of the saved money into a reshell to make them Custom IM03. And it will still be cheaper than brandnew IM03...

Jul 2, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #2,789 of 3,060
Congrats! (SG) $180 is a total bargain for this fantastic IEM.

I paid ca. (US) $360 for mine and still think that it is a pretty good price (for the sound and soundstage - however not so much for the fit and short nozzle).

Jul 2, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #2,790 of 3,060
Thanks, it was a sale of demo units, so it came without any accessories whatsoever. But condition still 10/10. Listened to them the last two hours and have a big smile on my face.
However, I had to take them out now as it starts being really uncomfortable.
Struggling a bit with eartips, have tried SpinFits and SpiralDots, both are not working perfectly. I have some more foam tips in some drawer, but still need to find them...

And the idea of having them reshelled into customs by AAW for 249 SGD is really growing on me.. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back