Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Oct 15, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #2,386 of 3,060
That is strange, unless my ZX2 also can not properly drive im04, which I very much doubt. Because my wife ip6 and my iPad Air 2 both drive Im04 just fine. Of course 04 sounds better on ZX2, but it is not like on my iPad Air 2 and ip6 it sounds disgustingly horrible though...absolutely not "Flat" unless you are bass head kind....

Anyways, I agreed that it needs 60-70% volume to sound good on iPad and iPhone. Though, that is how I would listen to my music all day though
biggrin.gif

Well I'm exaggerating a little on that they sound totally horrible, they just sound very low and washed out they they are trying to make a sound but don't quite finish it.    It's listenable but it just sounds wrong I can't describe it especially after listening from the same device w/ a dac/amp.  At 60-70% is on par with my old Ety's (honestly sounds a little surgical like a im-02/01) at 90% its ******* lush (but semi indistinguishable form the IM-03's other than being a little deeper) on the uha6s from 20% its lush^2 ( and you can really tell the 03 from the 04) . 

At 60% volume on my GF's iPhone 6 they sound ok but really quiet and a little lifeless.  With an amp they sound much better at 80-90% but at 50-60% its astronomical even at the same dB level the increased fullness of the sound just makes think, "Oh this is what it's supposed to sound like when all 8 drivers have enough power".    

I'm no audiophile or music guy but its glaringly obvious to me so it's a pretty big change.

Also if I remember correctly the ZX2 is fairly high 15+Ohm output impedance which can have a huge effect driving low ohm current heavy BA IEM's so that might be bit of it but for such expensive amp you'd think it should have enough power to compensate but I'm not electrical engineer. 

Oct 15, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #2,387 of 3,060
I just did some A/B testing with the IM03 between my Galaxy S6 and the FiiO X5. I had never used these IEMs on a smartphone before now.

From the S6 the IM03 does sound kind of dim. Not terribly, but it's certainly noticeable... especially becomes I'm switching back and forth with a great, beefy DAP.

From the X5, the bass hits harder and deeper. The vocals clear up and pop nicely. There's a vividness to the music that is simply lacking on the S6.

Like I said, this is the first time I've listened to these on a plain phone. By the time I had upgraded to the IM03, I had been using the AudioQuest Dragon Fly on my smartphone. Then I moved on to the X3ii, then the X5 Classic, finally to the AK120ii. All of these have more than enough juice to power multi-driver IEMs. But a simple cell phone seems to struggle.

Oct 15, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #2,388 of 3,060
I just did some A/B testing with the IM03 between my Galaxy S6 and the FiiO X5. I had never used these IEMs on a smartphone before now.

From the S6 the IM03 does sound kind of dim. Not terribly, but it's certainly noticeable... especially becomes I'm switching back and forth with a great, beefy DAP.

From the X5, the bass hits harder and deeper. The vocals clear up and pop nicely. There's a vividness to the music that is simply lacking on the S6.

Like I said, this is the first time I've listened to these on a plain phone. By the time I had upgraded to the IM03, I had been using the AudioQuest Dragon Fly on my smartphone. Then I moved on to the X3ii, then the X5 Classic, finally to the AK120ii. All of these have more than enough juice to power multi-driver IEMs. But a simple cell phone seems to struggle.

Yeah it's much more noticeable and sharp drop with the IM-04's.

Oct 15, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #2,389 of 3,060
I bet. I don't have the 04s any longer, so I can't test that out, but 33% more drivers has to make a difference on the load.

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #2,390 of 3,060
Im04 with newer iPad from iPhone 5 and up is good. When it come to USB DAC , there are plenty that can drive even the monstrous LCD x lol....

A lot of the experts are saying that they are not good enough to drive the IM04, have you tried it yourself? I tried it myself, I was expecting magic in my ears but all I heard was a hollow sound. 

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #2,392 of 3,060

Yeah, well... This is the reason why we all need a proper DAP for mid-end to high-end headphones and IEMs :D. I agreed that 03/04 don't sound that good from a phone, and better be used with a proper dap. I barely listen to music on 04 and iPad. Sometimes I use it for watching movie in bed.....music and listening joys go to my ZX2 :D

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #2,393 of 3,060
A lot of the experts are saying that they are not good enough to drive the IM04, have you tried it yourself? I tried it myself, I was expecting magic in my ears but all I heard was a hollow sound. 

Sir! I have 04 and my iPad here, would you like a picture ? Lol.....they are not horrible from iPad Air 2. Not at all. But they definitely sound better on ZX2.

Take it this way, I only stream movies and some YouTube during bed times on occasion with 04 and iPad Air 2. I only listen to music with ZX2.

Perhap you want me to compare the 2 sources air 2 vs zx2 on 04 ? Lol ? There are no comparision. But all I am trying to say is that 04/03 is not terrible/horrible with iPad Air 2 and or iPhone 6. Like I said, the horrible one was my 4s to my 04....it was congested, muddy, and not even singing at 100% volume...

The end conclusion you will get from me is that....it would be ridiculous to pair 03/04 to your smartphones for music and listening experiences.....it is a waste. You can use it to get by just fine, but for quality ? A waste! And the only smartphone that I can not even stand to get by the 03/04'with was my old 4s....that was ridiculous!

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #2,394 of 3,060

but this shouldn't be the case though.... I don't have the im03 or the im04 but I do have the im70 which is more sensitivity and has a lower impedence but....

BA in the past I found to be easily driven off my ipod touch and even my old iphone 4s.

I'm not sure why this is the case for the im03 and the im04 to the point where you guys are saying it needs over 90% or more to get enough juice.

but this maybe just due to the various different listening volumes we are all use to.

for me anyway on the im70 (which has the following specs)

and right now I find good listening volume at 5-6/16 on my ipod touch and I think 40-45% on my Samsung galaxy s3.

so I can still pump out more juice if needed
IM70
Sensitivity 108dB/mW
Impedence 10Ω

compared to the im04
                       Sensitivity101 dB/mW
                       Impedance14 ohms

Nope, for some reason Balanced Armature Drivers even ones with a bit lower impedance have to be cranked a bit higher.
Well, the ATH Series to be fair has to be at least 85-90% to get a full sound. Or at least a sound that is reasonable listening. The IM70, & IM50 being Symphonic Drivers are generally going to be a louder sounding IEM as some symphonic drivers are really easy to power, while there are some that are a bit harder to power. 

Oct 15, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #2,396 of 3,060
Would anyone describe the sound of the IM04 as dark and lush? i am keeping my eye out for a "HD650 Sounding IEM"

That's exactly that I call it.

If you read back quite a few pages, I wrote how the X5>IM04 together sounded like my Emotiva Airmotiv s4 speakers playing through the Tube preamp on my Maverick Audio D1 Plus. That is a warm, organic sound indeed.
:o2smile:

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #2,399 of 3,060
That's exactly that I call it.

If you read back quite a few pages, I wrote how the X5>IM04 together sounded like my Emotiva Airmotiv s4 speakers playing through the Tube preamp on my Maverick Audio D1 Plus. That is a warm, organic sound indeed.
o2smile.gif

Really? 
So question!
I've had the IM50 for a while now, and I wanna upgrade in this line. But the reason I love the IM50 is because is nice, soothing, & warmth without it being like a lot of other darker sounding pieces I've heard. This is different primarily because of the vocal focus, and it doesn't come off very fun sounding, which I tend to dislike.
I wanna know if the ATH-IM01 has a different or similar sound, as I don't plan on spending big bucks, and I'm kinda already satisfied when it comes to an Analytic Professional Sound with my M6 Pros.
So what do you say?

Oct 16, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #2,400 of 3,060
Nobody likes the IM01.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back