Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
May 4, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #1,891 of 3,060

A while ago I went to Jaben Singapore to refresh my memory of IM03, and I was quite suprised. It sounds brighter than what I remember from the IM03 demo set I reviewed last year.
Was it something wrong with my memory or what, I'm not sure. Hopefully one day I have the chance to compare the older batch of IM03, and the newer batch. Before I do that, I couldn't comment if there is any different in sound between the older batch and the newer batch.

Hey earfonia, 

Thanks for your input. 

So what do you think about IM04 over IM03?

I mainly listen to jazz and that is the reason why I want to ditch IM03 and try IM04.

I feel sorry for just throwing questions at you, thanks!

May 4, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #1,892 of 3,060
I'm just getting into the whole audiophile thing. Originally I had overestimated my IM03's, but after giving them a bit of time it feels like I'm rediscovering my whole music collection. I can already hear my wallet crying 
L3000.gif

Am I the only one who finds it strange that the ATH-0X series doesn't have serial numbers on the body strange?
I've just never been a fan of holding onto boxes. 

May 4, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #1,893 of 3,060
Hey earfonia, 

Thanks for your input. 

So what do you think about IM04 over IM03?

I mainly listen to jazz and that is the reason why I want to ditch IM03 and try IM04.

I feel sorry for just throwing questions at you, thanks!

I don't have any of them, so what I can say is all what I've written in my review on page 1.

If i have the chance to refresh my memory on both IM03 and IM04, I will post an update.

May 4, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #1,894 of 3,060
  My IM-50s lasted just under a year. Was at the gym and noticed the left earpiece was cutting out. Came home and disconnected the left earpiece only to discover that one of the male pins had become detached from the housing.

:frowning2:

Note sure what to do - is there a source for purchasing a replacement earpiece?

If they lasted under a year, that means they're still under warranty. The same thing happened with my pair and I just got in touch with AT and went down to their service centre with the proof of purchase and got a brand new set! That one's going strong.

May 4, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #1,895 of 3,060
  After listening to IM03, I figured out that it won't really fit me. 

Comparing to UE900 which could handle every kind of genre decently, IM03 does very poor job on some of the genres... (Jazz particularly.)

I am thinking of returning them and try IM04 since people say that it is little bit warmer thus hoping it o be similar to Z7.

I don't know guys, this is so hard :'D

I haven't tried the Z7, so I can't really compare the IM04 to them. However, if you like the UE900 for its strengths, the IM04 is probably not your cup of tea. On the other hand, if you're looking for a smoother, less treble oriented IEM that is excellent with vocals, the IM04 is definitely a solid choice.

The IM03 has this harsh treble peak that results in sibilance that is quite offensive at times. Listening to them for periods on end can be rather fatiguing. Anyway, on the last 2 occasions when I auditioned the IM03, I did so together with the CKR10. In fact, I found in the CKR10, a more balanced, resolving IEM that is more suited for a greater variety of genres whilst retaining a semblance of control in the high frequencies. Between the 2, I'd go with the CKR10.

A while ago I went to Jaben Singapore to refresh my memory of IM03, and I was quite suprised. It sounds brighter than what I remember from the IM03 demo set I reviewed last year.
Was it something wrong with my memory or what, I'm not sure. Hopefully one day I have the chance to compare the older batch of IM03, and the newer batch. Before I do that, I couldn't comment if there is any different in sound between the older batch and the newer batch.

Yeah, that treble can be a little too strident at times. I've auditioned them on several different occasions, and even twice when I was in Japan, and they all pretty much sounded alike. I tried to like them, but I found those highs a tad too sibilant for my liking.

May 4, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #1,896 of 3,060

For what you like, I'd definitely recommend the IM70. From all I've read, the IM02 is more in-line with the GR07 in the bass department. The soundstage is a lot deeper and higher than the GR07 in the IM70 as well. Not wider though. I said this about them a while ago:

"Depends on your preferred sound signature. IM70 is more bassy and mid forward, while the GR07 is more neutral with a more exciting treble. IM70 has a more 3D presentation and natural sound, while GR07 is more 2D, but has great layering and texture. Both are great all arounders, but for me, I think the ATH wins out for durability, naturalness, and soundstage/image. I sold my GR07 in favor or the IM70, FWIW."

What about for revealing detail? Also, which gr07 did you have? What I had in mind is that if I can find something that has more clarity and detail than my old mkII, I can just EQ the bass using the music app on my phone like I did with the gr07 mkii. It's just that once I got used to hearing sounds/details in songs that I never knew existed, it's kind of hard to go back, you know?

May 4, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #1,897 of 3,060
  What about for revealing detail? Also, which gr07 did you have? What I had in mind is that if I can find something that has more clarity and detail than my old mkII, I can just EQ the bass using the music app on my phone like I did with the gr07 mkii. It's just that once I got used to hearing sounds/details in songs that I never knew existed, it's kind of hard to go back, you know?

In my honest opinion IM70 is more detailed than GR07 MKII.

May 4, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #1,898 of 3,060

You won't miss any detail from it. I actually hear more details in the mid-range of the IM than the GR07. It just has a different texture. The treble is smoother, so those details have a bit different presentation than on the GR07. I would also use some wide bore tips with the IM70. 

May 4, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #1,900 of 3,060
Just wanted to chime in and give some love for the im01. For around $100, its proven to be a very respectable earphone. A bit hard to make a consistant seal in my ear, but using foam tips helps a lot.

For anyone interested, the bass is actually very well done. It is audible and sounds very natural (barring your listening to Hardcore EDM) and really lends itself to a nice rhythmic sound Sig. The mids sound somewhat forward, or perhaps the clarity gives that impression, either way the mids are very pleasing. Females sound lively and natural and can sound very intimate. The treble is a bit hard to describe simply because its neither amazing nor is it at all bad. Just seems to do the basic treble stuff <---- lame, I know. But honestly is got detail, its not recessed and symbols can sound nice and clear and detailed. I will say I did detect distortion in the higher registers on a song or two, but overall I really do enjoy these guys. If your looking for a warm, clean, vocally focused in ear, I would recommend them!

May 4, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #1,901 of 3,060

In my honest opinion IM70 is more detailed than GR07 MKII.

You won't miss any detail from it. I actually hear more details in the mid-range of the IM than the GR07. It just has a different texture. The treble is smoother, so those details have a bit different presentation than on the GR07. I would also use some wide bore tips with the IM70. 

Wow. More detail than the gr07? Amazing. I was reading more about these headphones and supposedly, the im02 has even more detail than the im70.

So, as far as detail is concerned, gr07 < im70 < im02? I can't even imagine what music would sound like. By wednesday, I will order one of them. Until then, I'll drive myself crazy reading up on them.

May 5, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #1,902 of 3,060

Wow. More detail than the gr07? Amazing. I was reading more about these headphones and supposedly, the im02 has even more detail than the im70.

So, as far as detail is concerned, gr07 < im70 < im02? I can't even imagine what music would sound like. By wednesday, I will order one of them. Until then, I'll drive myself crazy reading up on them.

I can't comment on the GR07, but the IM02 has more detail and is more resolving that the IM70. In fact, I would say the IM02 is the detail freak of the entire IM-range. It's clear, relatively balanced, has good bass punch, and nice, smooth treble that has enough clarity to give that extra bit of top end sparkle. If that's your type of sound, then you're sure to love it. The IM70 on the other hand, has a weightier, rounded sound with some exceptionally strong bass. Treble has less clarity and extension, and its midrange is more lush and prominent. They actually sound quite different from the IM02, and the latter is not its logical upgrade, IMO.

May 5, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #1,903 of 3,060
Hmm, around Sunday the im02 could be found for $150 on Amazon. Now, the cheapest buy is $160 including shipping or $180 from Amazon. I guess the choice is easier now. I'll get the im70. I expect it to sound something like the gr07 bass edition. I just cannot imagine it having more clarity/detail than the mkII, lol. Hopefully, I am in for a surprise.

May 5, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #1,904 of 3,060
  Hmm, around Sunday the im02 could be found for $150 on Amazon. Now, the cheapest buy is $160 including shipping or $180 from Amazon. I guess the choice is easier now. I'll get the im70. I expect it to sound something like the gr07 bass edition. I just cannot imagine it having more clarity/detail than the mkII, lol. Hopefully, I am in for a surprise.

It doesn't have more clarity. Lacks the treble. It has more midrange detail and better imaging. And it has MUCH more bass than the GR07BE. Rest assured, they're very different. If you're looking for a GR07 killer with a similar sound, that's the CKR series, but you mentioned you don't want them. 

May 5, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #1,905 of 3,060

It doesn't have more clarity. Lacks the treble. It has more midrange detail and better imaging. And it has MUCH more bass than the GR07BE. Rest assured, they're very different. If you're looking for a GR07 killer with a similar sound, that's the CKR series, but you mentioned you don't want them. 

Yeah, I don't want fixed cables anymore. I was looking through a review (can't remember where), and it mentioned that the cable wasn't detachable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back