Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Jun 6, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #706 of 3,060
  What if the IM03 is around $200 like it currently is through Amazon.co.jp? Does it then justify the price difference?

Hmm when things go on sale it's good for us but I always find it a bit fishy when its more than 50% off for new products...  Very tempting though considering this is half the price on amazon us!

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #713 of 3,060
What a bummer. I had them in my cart last night ready to check out. Registered with Tenso and got sidetracked submitting my proof of identity. I look this morning and the price went up a hundred :frowning2:

Do you guys think they will drop back down to the 200 price range? Did anyone pull the trigger while they were at that price?

Jun 10, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #714 of 3,060
IM03 dropped to 18,900 JPY at one point, many ordered at that price but very few people had their orders delivered. Shortly after a few units were shipped out, Amazon JP realised the mistake in pricing and cancelled all subsequent orders. Even most of the buyers who ordered on 6th got their orders cancelled.

I don't think it will drop down to that price again on Amazon JP because it will be killing sales from other channels, especially when IM03 was only launched for about 6 months

Jun 10, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #715 of 3,060
My first impressions of the IM02:
Fantastic overall. Bass quantity is just about right for me. Sub-bass could maybe have been a tinge stronger. Mids are definitely forward sounding and towards the thicker side side. Vocals as a result are very much in your face. Treble is well extended, excellent texture, slightly long decay which is preferable to my taste, but harsh on some tracks. Amazing clarity and detail. This also augments the soundstage, which is very good overall, but particularly in terms of depth. Tonality is certainly towards the bright side. I do prefer if there was a touch of warmth at the lower mids, but I can understand that the lack of it only adds to the sheer spaciousness of sound.

For it's retail price, very good indeed. Bears certain resemblance to the Rockit R50. Is it better? I would say it's close, but the IM02 wins out. Better value would still be the R50s, but the IM02 is still more than worth it's while.

Source was my iPhone 5 playing mainly 320 mp3. Based on the OP review, I should probably try out lower impedance sources (iPhone 5 is approximately 4.5 ohms) which should eliminate some of the sibilance, which is my main gripe (I'm usually quite good at tolerating sibilance)

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #716 of 3,060
  IM03 dropped to 18,900 JPY at one point, many ordered at that price but very few people had their orders delivered. Shortly after a few units were shipped out, Amazon JP realised the mistake in pricing and cancelled all subsequent orders. Even most of the buyers who ordered on 6th got their orders cancelled.

I don't think it will drop down to that price again on Amazon JP because it will be killing sales from other channels, especially when IM03 was only launched for about 6 months

Well.... From the impressions here, these things are all more than worth it. Why the prices keep fluctuation so fast, and dramatically may be a mystery we'll never know. Unless someones on the ball with mass~ish producing fakes.....

Jun 12, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #717 of 3,060
  Well.... From the impressions here, these things are all more than worth it. Why the prices keep fluctuation so fast, and dramatically may be a mystery we'll never know. Unless someones on the ball with mass~ish producing fakes.....

Nah, just typical Amazon pricing. Prices go down as demand goes down, then prices shoot up as soon as demand increases. See it all the time with more popular headphones on Amazon US.  

Jun 12, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #718 of 3,060
So I just got the At-HDC5/1.2 cable for my IM03.. Damn. This sound fantastic. Any of you guys lucky enough to get in on that Amazon Japan deal for the IM03, or own one and was considering the upgraded cable from AT... I was debating for the longest time if these cables were gonna be worth the extra $90 to buy one.. Now that I finally have them. I will say YES!!. Absolutely. These bring more resolution in every part of the spectrum on the sounds..The stock sound was no joke but now. It is what I call an UBER IM03. 

I can't get them out of my ears since I threw them cables on. It has exceeded my expectations of what the cables would do for the IM03.. A serious tier jump in sound quality. As much as I enjoyed the IM03 with the stock cable. The stock sound has nothing on what I am hearing now. A serious upgrade in every perceivable way.. Highly recommended.

Jun 15, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #719 of 3,060
Yesterday I tried the JVC Spiral Dots to my ATH-IM03. The sound really good! In my opinion, the treble was smoother than Sony Hybrid eartips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back