Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Mar 3, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #2,986 of 3,060
RIP IM Line, it seems AT has discontinued all of them except for possibly the IM04 and IM01 which are still being sold. Just took a look around Guanghua Market in Taiwan today nobody has the replacement cables except one store had the higher-end OFC cable...

Mar 3, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #2,987 of 3,060
The connectors & some replacement cables are still being sold in Ali, so not all is lost, any discontinued product has limited shelf life anyway.
I do feel disappointment in AT deciding to change standard again, making IM line life shorter than other, more widely used standard of IEM with replaceable cable.

Mar 3, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #2,988 of 3,060
Yes they're still being sold on eBay as well but I was hoping to buy it directly when I visit Taiwan. I haven't asked the AT Showroom yet though, they might still let you order it.

Reminds me of when they discontinued the CKM500 and replaced it with the CKR5. The 500 had a large following on Head-Fi but it was somewhat polarizing as its bass is bloated and treble peak has been described as harsh to non-existent (I'd say it had lower treble emphasis and rolls off at the top). When I tried the CKR5 it was downright bloated. The IM series was a big improvement over both I'd say. However, I'm not sure what to say about the LS50/70 - they seem more bass- and lower-mid-emphasized with not as much sparkle in the highs as the IM70.  E40 is similar but has more sparkle in the highs. The LS70 costs considerably more than the IM70 did shortly after launch, doesn't help the Canadian dollar is not good now. 

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #2,990 of 3,060
Although £25 over my "Replace my Brainwavz B2" budget I was considering the IM02's because of their reputation and detachable cable, as most of the IEM's I have owned broke at the cable end.

If they're pretty much end of the road with the manufacturer and there's not much out there selling cables then that's a concern.

At £175 new they're priced about 2 1/2 times more than I paid for my last pair of B2's.

I'm stuck in that place where you know of 3 or 4 IEM's that are probably around the right signature and price, and one of those IEM's you have an inexplicable personal bias towards.

Or there's the E70...

Mar 5, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #2,991 of 3,060
I was able to get a cable off of amazon recently. It costed 40usd, honestly they are a great pair of iems the im02, but the fit may be something to really look into since they are heavily dependent on your ear.

Mar 5, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #2,992 of 3,060
I found my ATH A900z (japan model) sound almost identity to IM03.

Big bass and relaxed tone, upfront vocal and mid but just slightly recessed , sparkly treble but slightly mellow,
While they are not sound exact the same but they do share a lot of common traits, very pleasure to listening to.

So I will recommended A900z to who want a FZ version of IM03.

Mar 11, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #2,997 of 3,060
Just tried the E40, a/b with my IM50 reveal more neutral sound sig with flatter mid base. It still retain IM50's vocal rep, albeit a tiny bit, for lack of better word more "trebl-y". Doesnt have as black of background as my XBA100, but it does sounds more airy. Basically, if I haven't own the XBA already, I'd very much like it as an upgrade from my IM50, but as things stand, I'd pass.

Mar 11, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #2,998 of 3,060
Build wise it has better looking design, but I don't like how the new connector rotates, it makes getting a seal harder as it moves the body while fiddling around the ear, also when it's in, the fit aren't the best, much better on the IM50 with its longer nozzle, of course fit's different for everybody, so I recommend to demo them first to see whether it fit well for you.

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #2,999 of 3,060
I was put off by the rotating nozzle at first but I've come to prefer it as now I can take off the earpiece temporarily by simply rotating it. On some demos it does seem to get more loose over time though.

At this point I can't do a direct comparison because my IM70's cable is broken. I just called Audio-Technica Taiwan today and purchased a replacement HDC1 as few if any stores sell it.

My first impressions were that they were quite warm and boomy in the bass, after trying the ATH-LS70 and LS50. The midrange seemed somewhat recessed at the top but less so than the latter two IEMs, with more air in the treble. From what I recall the LS70 has a tad bit more sub-bass than the E40 while the LS50 is more midbass-focused and a tad more boomy, but both LS IEMs seemed a tad too veiled for me (I don't recall the IM70 being that veiled). Of course, there's always the good old filter mod which some people say clears up the veil. The E40's soundstage is a tad narrower than the LS dynamics, but has a lot of depth. Despite the intimacy it is quite good at positioning and instrument separation.

The seal isn't easy to get perfect but I think it is much better than that of the IM70. If I flex my forehead or ears the seal doesn't change much and with the stock tips I feel they stay in my ears very well. If you're in a very noisy environment they still don't isolate the sounds of sirens and cars going by unless you have music playing loudly 

I also bought the 1More Triple Driver recently. In terms of detail and resolution, I think it is a step above the E40, which sounds veiled and coloured in comparison. However, the 1More is REALLY unforgiving of poor recordings, especially bass distortion or crackling, hardly noticeable on other IEMs. The crackling is noticeable on Coldplay's Hypnotised, for example. The upper mids are also rather hot on the 1More, not fatiguing but my ears seem imbalanced in this region that I hear sibilance more on my right ear. That said I think it is the more neutral of the two IEMs as its bass is not as boomy and treble more tame despite extending higher up.  I prefer the E40's form factor, removable cables and durability (the 1More's metal design is nice but more prone to scratches) - the E40 also has better sub-bass extension. 

EDIT: Philips SHE3590 eartips seem to tame down the midbass while adding some more sparkle to the highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back