Review of Audio-GD DAC-19MK3
Oct 22, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #212 of 695
I had a DACMagic as well. the DAC19Mk3 is better at everything.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #213 of 695
The DacMagic it's a good DAC, but in my opinion de 19MK3 sound it's more detailed, the resolution it's much better, all that circuits for a cleaner power supply in the Audio GD are notice in the fuller and rich output.

I have the DACMagic for about 3 months in my system and now with the 19MK3 i'm discovering new sounds in my discs, not precisely new sounds but different in the way of the details, the Audio GD it's a much more musical DAC.

Foobar 2000 Wasapi Coax->19MK3->Rotel RC-1550-> Rotel RB-1562->Monitor Audio GS10

Oct 22, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #214 of 695
Oct 22, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #215 of 695
So the 19Mk3 has more detail, but not at the expense of sounding over-analytical? I listened to my DacMagic/Compass combo last night before listening to some vinyl on my speaker system, and the vinyl just sounds so much smoother and easier on my ears. That's the kind of sound I'm looking for in a Dac, but have not found it yet. Yes, the DacMagic sounds very detailed, alive, etc., but just doesn't sound nearly as musical and pleasing as vinyl in my opinion. Would anyone say that the 19Mk3 sounds more like vinyl than other Dacs?

Oct 22, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #216 of 695
jsplice, have you noticed burn-in improvement on the compass? Also I recommend trying ASIO4ALL or better (but not free) usb-asio with the compass. Compass and dac19mk3 don't have the asynchronous stuff of dacmagic so are probably more sensitive to software. I really don't like what Vista directsound does to the music with the compass and much of it is improved (and kinda tweakable) with different asio software. Imo 0.8.3 foobar with best modified otachan sounds lean, mediamonkey+asio sounds fun and bassy, cmp/cplay sounds neutral.

Oct 22, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #217 of 695
Yes I do in fact use ASIO4ALL in both Vista and XP. I'm using the DacMagic with the Compass at the moment because the dac inside the Compass is very mediocre in my opinion. The DacMagic improves over the Compass dac in the areas of dynamics, channel separation, treble smoothness, bass extension, you name it. However, I wouldn't call the DacMagic incredibly "smooth" sounding either, not when compared to vinyl. I hear many people describing the Audio-gd sound as "smooth", but I sure have not found that to be the case with the Compass. This is why I am curious about their higher-priced items.

Oct 22, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #218 of 695
In my case, I found that while the dac-19mk3 has better resolution, dynamics, and frequency extension than the dac-100(compass), it is however "analog" sounding with less "digital harshness".
I have always thought that there had to be a trade-off between resolution and smoothness in DACs until I listened to the dac-19mk3.

Oct 22, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #219 of 695
My DAC 19MK3 doesn't sound digital in any way, ir produces a sweet high definition sound that doesn't cause fatigue, it's the best DAC i have own, for the money it's a true bargain, i'm thinking very seriously about getting a Ref-1 for my home system.

Oct 22, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #220 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by h.rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a DACMagic as well. the DAC19Mk3 is better at everything.
smily_headphones1.gif

h.rav & JulioCat,

Out of curiosity, did you volume-match your amp when switching back & forth between the DacMagic & DAC19Mk3 during your comparisons? The reason i ask is because the DacMagic has a 2.1V output level and i believe the DAC19Mk2 has a 2.5V output. The increased voltage output will almost always give a perception of better SQ, larger soundstage, etc.

Thanks.

Oct 22, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #221 of 695
Vlach

Nop, we are not talking about a sense of better dynamics cause volumen mismatch, the DAC19MK3 produce a better sound than the DACMagic at every volume, for me these DAC's are in differents levels and the DA19MK3 is up in the list.

Oct 22, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #223 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before upgrading to the DAC-19mk3, I had the Audio-gd DAC-100 (with the Earth hdam) which is basically the dac section of the Compass, and there is a huge improvement in bass impact with this upgrade. In fact, it is like adding a subwoofer to your system. When I first tried the DAC-19mk3, I was surprised by the improvement in bass (and all other sectors), it was the kind of improvement in drive I would have expected in an amp upgrade (you can read my review in the first post).
As for the DF1704, I found that after burn-in it has deeper bass than the PMD100 (in my system). So you should definitely not worry about bass impact
jecklinsmile.gif

Thanks for your guidance, so let me make it clear here before I trigger the purchase, even with the analytical DF1704, the bass impact (punch) is better than COMPASS's dac?

Bass impact is quite important in some of my records playback, personally I think that COMPASS bass is there but not tight enough, thus when the bass hit it tend to be quite loose, which weaken the bass impact in my sense
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #224 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by JulioCat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vlach

Nop, we are not talking about a sense of better dynamics cause volumen mismatch, the DAC19MK3 produce a better sound than the DACMagic at every volume, for me these DAC's are in differents levels and the DA19MK3 is up in the list.

Hi there, may I know which receiver chip your DAC19MKIII coming with? PM100 or DF1704? THanks

Oct 22, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #225 of 695
Quote:

Originally Posted by godluvsxs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there, may I know which receiver chip your DAC19MKIII coming with? PM100 or DF1704? THanks

It uses a Texas Instruments DIR9001 receiver chip. Just check this page out for all of the details... н¨ÍøÒ³ 1

The PMD100 and DF1704 are digital filters.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back